Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiQuake 2 - new 68k Quake 2 Port  (Read 26329 times)

Description:

Offline paul1981

Re: AmiQuake 2 - new 68k Quake 2 Port
« on: March 20, 2013, 09:48:35 PM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;729862
My signature just got updated ;)

64MB ram required? If this isn't desktop Apollo discrimination then I don't know what is! :lol:

Offline paul1981

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 04:49:17 PM »
So what sort of performance are people getting out of there Amiga's with this new conversion? Also, does it work with virtual memory on 32MB systems?
I'm reluctant to use virtual memory on an Amiga, but I'd be interested to know if it works in this case.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 11:06:44 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;730948
I hope it works. My setting is AmigaSYS AGA, with RemApollo,CPU060, Fblit and Ftext combination...because of these I cannot even run shapeshifter (Mac emulator in my Amiga). When I do PReEmulation A1200 RemApollo seem to have problem with it when I do rebooting.  But I will be posting helping in a complete different topic..in the meantime I am just giving you my setup here in hopes AmigaVMM might be the only solution for me.

Are you softkicking a kickstart different to the one in your rom chips? If not then you don't need RemAPollo. I haven't played around with RemAPollo much as I haven't really needed it, but I'm guessing the prepareemul move 4k command is conflicting with your relocated kickstart. I use the command in the MMUlib distribution which seems to work for me:

http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/MMULib

Then again, how that will play with RemAPollo I have no idea. Question is do you need to use RemAPollo?

I'll need to soon as I'd like to build a custom kickstart. :cool:

BTW, it's not FBlit or FText causing your Shapeshifter problem, as I run these and loads of other patches and my Shapeshifter works fine.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:09:03 PM by paul1981 »

Offline paul1981

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 12:22:56 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;731308
I checked and RemApollo DOES INDEED MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE in my Amiga performance. All I do is type RemApollo QUIET in my startup sequence and my Amiga 1200 zooms like a rocket instead of a bicycle. So yes I do need it.  Also even if I did for some reason disable it, PreEmulA1200 does not work. It reboots, the screen becomes red, the power led flashes couple of times, reboot back with software failure and my Shapeshifter fails to load asking for PreEmulA1200 all over again. So the only coolest emulator in my A1200 cannot run is the Mac emulator :(

RemAPollo in your case is simply remapping the kickstart into fast ram. There's nothing wrong with that and yes it gives a speed boost, but what I was trying to say is that RemAPollo isn't actually required unless you're booting a different kickstart than the one in your ROM chips (3.1 probably). For instance, the Apollo cpu command (that came on the apollo install disk) called cpu60 can also do this. So can the standard cpu command provided with Workbench.
If you go to a shell and type "cpu60 b" then this will turn on all the goodies of your 060 and also move your ROM to RAM.

Is it possible you could copy and paste your Startup-sequence onto here so we can see it? Then we might be able to help you with the red screen problem.