Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nichols escapes death penalty  (Read 622 times)

Description:

Offline T_BoneTopic starter

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
Nichols escapes death penalty
« on: June 12, 2004, 12:20:33 PM »
this space for rent

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
Re: Nichols escapes death penalty
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 06:34:17 PM »
I just hope this is the last chapter to the whole Waco saga.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 06:38:14 PM »
Screw life in prison, if they won't execute him they should let him out so there can be some good old fashioned street justice.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 07:03:15 PM »
Weird. I wonder what is causing the jury to deadlock.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 07:33:36 PM »

Cymric wrote:

They already found him guilty, so it's all down to someone in the jury being against the death penalty.

Ok, I can understand that, but yikes! Why does that person have to be on THIS jury!?
this space for rent

Offline Cymric

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 08:55:07 PM »
T_Bone wrote:
They already found him guilty, so it's all down to someone in the jury being against the death penalty. Ok, I can understand that, but yikes! Why does that person have to be on THIS jury!?

Well, that is the jury system for you. You can't have your cake and eat it, it works both ways. Although I think there is more to it than someone being opposed to the death penalty: this was the second deadlock, after all.

I remember stories about white collar criminals who embezzled tens of millions of dollars from the companies they were running. Some of these calculating snakes 'repented to the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ' in court, upon which some jury members would do their utmost best to get them as low a sentence as possible. Same situation.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004, 09:32:28 PM »

Cymric wrote:
T_Bone wrote:
They already found him guilty, so it's all down to someone in the jury being against the death penalty. Ok, I can understand that, but yikes! Why does that person have to be on THIS jury!?

Well, that is the jury system for you. You can't have your cake and eat it, it works both ways. Although I think there is more to it than someone being opposed to the death penalty: this was the second deadlock, after all.

I remember stories about white collar criminals who embezzled tens of millions of dollars from the companies they were running. Some of these calculating snakes 'repented to the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ' in court, upon which some jury members would do their utmost best to get them as low a sentence as possible. Same situation.

(ot)
Why is it only the Jews seem to know what repentance means? You CANT repent untill you've SERVED the sentence!

I used to blame the Catholics for that, but Christianity as a whole seems to have embraced repentance as an "alternative" to making up for the wrong and serving the time, rather than something done in addition to it.

Yes, it's a generalization, but generally everyone's doing it ;-)
this space for rent

Offline Cymric

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 12:12:44 AM »
T_Bone wrote:
I used to blame the Catholics for that, but Christianity as a whole seems to have embraced repentance as an "alternative" to making up for the wrong and serving the time, rather than something done in addition to it.

If I remember my history lessons correctly, the idea was introduced late in the Middle Ages as the perfect means to raise money. Instead of confessing to your sins, you'd pay a small sum of money called an 'aflaat' in Dutch (I don't know the translation, sorry) which would safeguard you from forgetting to mention sins you would undoubtedly commit in the future. Since the church was the only insurance you had to go to heaven, it fared very well under such a regime: St Peter's basilica was built with the money milked out of poor Dutch and German farmers. The building's beauty is a painful reminder of just how much money it must have cost. Comparing the workings of such a system with modern-day extortionists such as the mob or Scientology is frightening. In any case, the system led to protestantism (Maarten Luther) and countless schisms later on.

But to answer the question about the Jews, I have no idea :-).

Offline FluffyMcDeath

• Show only replies by FluffyMcDeath
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 07:23:04 AM »

T_Bone wrote:

Cymric wrote:

They already found him guilty, so it's all down to someone in the jury being against the death penalty.

Ok, I can understand that, but yikes! Why does that person have to be on THIS jury!?

Why do you even care? Did you even care to follow the trial or did you just read the verdict in an article one day?