Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What if?  (Read 1236 times)

Description:

What if?
« on: April 07, 2004, 03:09:27 PM »
This is in the coffee house specifically because it doesn't need to be listed for everyone to see on the main page yet.

If Amiga.org were not running Xoops or any other off-the-shelf package, what would it take to make Amiga.org your ideal Web site?  

Before you get started, think about it very seriously.  I'm not interested in "no censorship" or other stupid crap answers, I'm sincerely interested in knowing what you would like to see in the future should Amiga.org stop using Xoops and try to get away from being a generic "site-in-a-box"?  

If we were starting from scratch, how could we create a site that is both very cool for everyone, a useful Internet site (with personalized news, phonebooks, contacts, links, etcetera) and the first place that you stop on the Web?

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
Re: What if?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 05:16:23 PM »
one of the things i do love is the notifications. this helps me keep track of useful threads that has info i still want even if it's not being responded to.

and it lets me see one page all the threads i need to keep track of.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 06:13:44 PM »
I love the site the way it is now.
I'd like a WAP-news section, though.
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 06:31:39 PM »
You mean like the one that's already here?

http://www.amiga.org/modules/avantgo

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 10:08:14 AM »
I don't use the Xoops notifications, but for forum sites, I find the navigation feature of "last threads participated in" indispensible.  (That's here under "View Account," and while per-post vs. per-thread is redundant for my needs, I'm sure other people like it...  IIRC, DSLReports gives it to you right on the forum page(s), but it's been a while.)

For the sort of people who like notifications (I'm not, or rather, I may as well 'pull' that info when I'm ready to sit down and log in, versus having them pop up at me over the course of other_life), perhaps there's a way to work some personalized magic with RSS?  Or is that worse than using a mail or IM gateway, because it has to get polled?  (I assume all the notification junkies like RSS, just like they like ICQ and AIM and Trillian and anything else that goes beep beep beep. ;-))

[That's in the sense of having a dynamic RSS 'page?' per-user that their RSS-reader software could poll, not useless Slashboxes all over the front page.]

Never been a big fan of "Portals," either, but sites naturally become same as users demand everything and the kitchen sink too.  For something that wants to be a "community" news site, I like having a visible slushpile (as ANN does), so the editors are free to edit (which can add value in terms of perspective/civility/time-savings), but the community's also free to rattle around whatever it wants (checks and balances against biases real or imagined, as when y'all went to work for a certain company)... That's covered over here through the prominence of the forums anyway.

All I can think of on the 'productivity' end would be project-hosting (sites doing that already), documentation/driver hosting (other sites doing that already), and mail and user site hosting (Yahoo-Geocities does that already)...  On the forum and newshosting end, more sugar always eases interaction even if things are theoretically possible already; image hosting for the fora would reduce the number of 'I'd give you a picture/show_report but I don't know how!' posts (in trade for disk use and the boobies problem)... something like an oekaki/whiteboard applet probably wouldn't be used much, but comes in handy when you have to show someone a diagram of how something wires up, and so on.  Even people who hate the smilies fall into using them, because they add that wider range of expression.  :-o

Edit: Oh yeah, per DSLReports, automatically appending a little 'Post edited on...' notification is a nice touch, so people can do the edit thing... but not mess with the minds of those who read prior.  (I'm an 'Edit' addict myself, and with timings, it tells you something about the intention... 30 seconds after posting and it's a correction, days later and it's rewriting history.)

...and being able to relogin a timed-out session without losing a post (I'm a lucky Mozilla user who doesn't lose forms on 'Back,' I'm sure long-winded IE users tear their hair out) would probably also be cool.  (Just need to cache the submitted form for the timeout period of the login page/object/process/whatever, instead of discarding it with the "You don't have the right!" check...)

Offline whabang

• Show only replies by whabang
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 09:11:24 AM »

Wayne wrote:
You mean like the one that's already here?

http://www.amiga.org/modules/avantgo

Problem is that it's an AvantGo (HTML) version. It doesn't display on WML-browsers. :-(
Beating the dead horse since 2002.

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 02:28:26 AM »
A library of information. Such as tutorials etc.

Offline sumner7

• Show only replies by sumner7
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2004, 04:06:47 PM »
@iamaboringperson

Why have you copied t-bone's avatar? You could have changed it in a funny way or something that suits you. ;-)

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2004, 01:20:14 AM »

sumner7 wrote:
@iamaboringperson

Why have you copied t-bone's avatar? You could have changed it in a funny way or something that suits you. ;-)

Well, he did reverse it... besides, only having one Aorg member use Reagan as his avatar doesn't do him enough justice   :-D
this space for rent

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2004, 10:18:59 AM »
Perhaps I should start using Margaret Thatcher as my avatar - KennyR for one would be happy...:lol:
I like Amigas

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2004, 08:20:07 PM »

T_Bone wrote:

sumner7 wrote:
@iamaboringperson

Well, he did reverse it... besides, only having one Aorg member use Reagan as his avatar doesn't do him enough justice   :-D

indeed, this 'd do him more justice:
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2004, 01:06:18 PM »
@Speel

I was thinking something more like this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/288213.stm
this space for rent

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2004, 02:15:25 PM »
This has what to do with the original topic?  Stay on topic please.