Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lost Whale in Thames  (Read 591 times)

Description:

Offline asian1Topic starter

• Show only replies by asian1
Lost Whale in Thames
« on: January 22, 2006, 05:16:43 AM »
From Independent.co.uk:

The 18ft northern bottlenosed whale should have been out in the Atlantic diving for squid. Instead, it had somehow wandered up river into the city late on Thursday, far from its mother who had been heard calling 40 miles away, off the coast of Essex. Londoners lined the river to see it, but the plight of the whale captured imaginations all round the world, not least because its story had all the elements of a modern fairytale: the child lost and lonely in an alien and dangerous place; the desperate parent calling out, and the rescuers, who waded into the water and comforted the whale with their bare hands yesterday, before helping with its bid for freedom.

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
Re: Lost Whale in Thames
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 02:34:02 PM »
The poor whale is dead!

It apparently suffered convulsions... but then I would have if I had swam up the Thames. The water is grotesque!

There's a lot of whales becoming stranded lately, not to mention dolphins with mysterious lacerations to their flippers. Most occur around the Irish Sea.

It wouldn't surprise me if the military sonar used on the Trident Class submarines is driving them berserk. Yeah you can blame it on fishing boats but we all know what's lurking beneath the waves...