Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Os 3.2 development preview  (Read 152781 times)

Description:

Offline LiveForIt

Re: Os 3.2 development preview
« on: December 07, 2019, 03:12:39 PM »
Concerning iconification, intuition gets a new first class citicizen window gadget you can request to get added to your window, and this is the iconification gadget. WFLG_ICONIFY enables it. If the user presses on the gadget, intuition sends an IDCMP_CLOSEWINDOW with a "CODE=1" instead of CODE=0 to the application, which can then react accordingly. All the system tools, preferences, utilities and the console window use it to iconify themselves on the workbench.

This sound like a really bad idea, so everyone that enable that will have there programs crashing when adding WFLG_ICONIFY,
way not do it like its done in AmigaOS4, make it compatible use IDCMP_GADGETUP, what is the point of updating AmigaOS3.x is you’re are not making it compatible.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 03:16:31 PM by LiveForIt »

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 07:20:21 PM »
Well maybe it will not crash, maybe the program just terminate unexpected, if the event is not handled as you suggest. Well it’s more complicated to write the same code two times one for 3.x and one for 4.x, I don’t see how that’s easier, my impression of boobsi system is that all window gadgets are buttons, including resize, close button, window back, window front etc,

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 07:27:43 PM »
That sounds to me like a pretty solid design.
Are you joking? He is going to break the design, just to break it.
WFLG_ICONIFY is flag that exist today that you will always get a IDCMP_GADGETUP event, doing it differently and now you have incompatible code.

it’s just like scroll wheel thing its different for the sake of being different.

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 04:09:49 PM »
I checked my source code, and your right there is no WFLG_ICONIFY in AmigaOS4.x.
But if it’s done on AmigaOS3.x it be nice to see the same changes on AmigaOS4.x so do not have to work different incompatibilities.

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 04:26:39 PM »
Files are allowed to be bigger than 2GBytes? Never knew this. :o

32-bit. This means that the number is represented by 32 separate one’s and zero’s. 32 bits of 2 possible states = 2^32=4,294,967,296 possible values.

Integer meaning that only whole multiples of one are accepted.

Signed meaning that negative values are accepted. This halves the number of possible positive values (roughly), so the largest number you can represent is 2^31–1=2,147,483,647, but instead of 0, the smallest number you can represent is -2,147,483,648. An unsigned 32-bit integer, by contrast, can represent anything from 0 to 4,294,967,295.

Using unsigned int32 is a minor improvement over old design, as it only gives you 1 more bit compared to signed int32, and now you allowed to use full 32 bits instead of only 31 bits as used before, the problem however is that does not give the possibility to make ISO of 32GB hard drive. So my complaint here is that they did not add support for large files (64bit large files), like AmigaOS4.x has. That’s also another incompatible way to solve it, and it does solve it fully..
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 04:30:15 PM by LiveForIt »

Offline LiveForIt

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 04:50:13 PM »
OS4 is a pile of steaming shit

It pretty good, but I do have few complaints. But all products that being developed has bugs and issues, but most issues I see posted are not issues at all, they things that are posted by MorphOS and AROS supporters who are not using AmigaOS4.x. The biggest complaint I see from users, is the fact that AmigaOS4.x can detect bugs; GRIM Repair is an asset not a problem. Replacing guru mediation with something can pin point where the bug is, is the best thing that has happened to AmigaOS, sadly not everyone see that.