Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amithlon2 vs Winuae  (Read 7544 times)

Description:

Offline Effy

• Show all replies
Re: Amithlon2 vs Winuae
« on: October 19, 2002, 08:44:11 AM »
To  emulate an Amiga on a pc is not such a shame since WinUAE has improved and Amithlon came out, but it's still a lot different from a real Amiga. Still there's one thing that makes emulating feel good : speed !!! I'm always used to have an A1200 with 1230/50/50 and when I first ran WinUAE I felt like sitting in a Porsche !! But when I ran Amithlon I felt like sitting in a Porsche with 2 turbo's !!!  :-D
But very soon you discover that Amitlon doesn't allow AGA programs but only RTG which is very extremely fine if you only wanna use those programs, like Genetic  Species for example. But hey, it has been told in advance that Amithlon doesn't allow AGA so there's no reason for complaining. WinUAE on the other hand, at least the legal version, not ForEver that I'm not familiar at, does allow AGA, even at demo's, but the use of RTG programs is limited because of some bugs in drawing pictures. It does tend to draw slower than an A500 at some places. Other than that it's big fun !! It really sits on top of Windows, XP Pro in my case. When I hit the Windows key in WinUAE and step back to Windows while WinUAE is still running, I see that the processor really runs at 100% so WinUAE is taking full advantage of the processor in the pc, a not so bad AMD1700+ in my case. I also do ALL my mails in Amiga mode with Yam. One major advantage : NO problems with pc virusses !!!!!!!!
Amithlon problem. There was told to use or Matrox 450 or GeForce2 chipset. So to assemble my first pc ever I went out and got me the fastest GeForce2 card I could find and that was the Hercules GeForce2 Titanium, not so cheap but I wanted the best for my new born Amiga. Problem is that Amithlon does not seem to support that card for an unknown reason so I'm stuck, as other readers have already said, in 800x600 mode ...
Opinion : Amithlon is mega-fast, but limited ...
                 WinUAE is slower but more friendly to use ...