Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I prefer 68k because  (Read 615 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
I prefer 68k because
« on: January 24, 2015, 07:43:10 AM »
Right now I am only using a fairly minimal install of Workbench. I still have to relearn things.
My computer should be able to do all computer tasks, I don't need it as a media player.

I'm pulling right out of the AROS camp, but there are plenty of users who prefer that.

I will buy a PowerPC Amiga when the price is a bit lower. Especially if I like on the UAE emulator.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
I prefer 68k because
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 11:52:21 AM »
I think AROS 68k will catch up as soon as the FPGA accelerators catch on.  I agree with you on most of the rest of your statement though.

It will take a long time for the PPC to catch up to the 68k games also.

Offline Calimeiro

• Show only replies by Calimeiro
Re: I prefer 68k because
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;782244
Right now I am only using a fairly minimal install of Workbench. I still have to relearn things.
My computer should be able to do all computer tasks, I don't need it as a media player.
Is this a question of power?
I'm pulling right out of the AROS camp, but there are plenty of users who prefer that.
... or a question of taste?
I will buy a PowerPC Amiga when the price is a bit lower. Especially if I like on the UAE emulator.
Situation is odd (as usual in the past 20 years).
Price will not drop. You'll never get a chip PPC, aside used stuff or gifts.

68k is the only real Amiga? Well, i would have said so in the past.
Today i'd like to see a powerfull machine at reasonable pricing no matter what is under the hood. Even poorly ARM (in comparison to modern x86) has more than enough horsepower for daily small office.

The real problem, the mother of all f*ck ups, is the software.
AOS and 3rd party software is way behind being competitive or attractive, not so say "sexy".  

During the last years everyone was eager to save state, to freeze.
68k compatibillity was preferred over all. That's dead end street.

There will be no new miggy with custom chipset. It's a risky and expansive adventure more close to financial suicide. Would be incompatible too.

Todays standard hardware with AOS would be affordable but lacks of "personality". Looks like all other linux or windows stuff, no big difference, except for desktop theme.
I've damned x86 ever since, but now it looks more and more attractive if only the OS would deal fine with it.

About FPGA, the bigger ones cost a fortune. The smaller units lack capacity. This can't be the way. It will bound users to 68k side, because it can, not because it makes sense. Remember, the OS has to catch up too.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:55:08 PM by Calimeiro »

Offline ppcamiga1

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 02:12:48 PM »
I'm not interested in using real 68k.

it is too slow.

After 12 years after the start of the project NatAmi, I do not believe that I ever see a fast 68k in FPGA.

Fast 68k in FPGA is like a yeti, no one ever never seen it.

It is obvious that, fast 68k in FPGA exists only in the imagination of gunnar von boehn und von Munchhausen.

ppc has drawbacks.

ppc is slow, ppc is expensive, but unlike NatAmi (apollo), ppc exists.

Everyone can buy and use.

PPC is a hundred times faster than real 68k, and a couple of times faster than WinUAE.

That is why I prefer the ppc.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 03:03:31 PM »
Quote from: ppcamiga1;782252
I'm not interested in using real 68k.

it is too slow.

After 12 years after the start of the project NatAmi, I do not believe that I ever see a fast 68k in FPGA.

Fast 68k in FPGA is like a yeti, no one ever never seen it.

It is obvious that, fast 68k in FPGA exists only in the imagination of gunnar von boehn und von Munchhausen.

ppc has drawbacks.

ppc is slow, ppc is expensive, but unlike NatAmi (apollo), ppc exists.

Everyone can buy and use.

PPC is a hundred times faster than real 68k, and a couple of times faster than WinUAE.

That is why I prefer the ppc.

it is not:
http://www.aros-platform.de/html/benchmarks.html

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 03:08:16 PM »
Quote from: Calimeiro;782250
Is this a question of power?
... or a question of taste?
Situation is odd (as usual in the past 20 years).
Price will not drop. You'll never get a chip PPC, aside used stuff or gifts.

68k is the only real Amiga? Well, i would have said so in the past.
Today i'd like to see a powerfull machine at reasonable pricing no matter what is under the hood. Even poorly ARM (in comparison to modern x86) has more than enough horsepower for daily small office.

The real problem, the mother of all f*ck ups, is the software.
AOS and 3rd party software is way behind being competitive or attractive, not so say "sexy".  

During the last years everyone was eager to save state, to freeze.
68k compatibillity was preferred over all. That's dead end street.

There will be no new miggy with custom chipset. It's a risky and expansive adventure more close to financial suicide. Would be incompatible too.

Todays standard hardware with AOS would be affordable but lacks of "personality". Looks like all other linux or windows stuff, no big difference, except for desktop theme.
I've damned x86 ever since, but now it looks more and more attractive if only the OS would deal fine with it.

About FPGA, the bigger ones cost a fortune. The smaller units lack capacity. This can't be the way. It will bound users to 68k side, because it can, not because it makes sense. Remember, the OS has to catch up too.

it depends what you want to do with such a FPGA device. Will it be as fast as a standard PC? No. Will it ever beat a full-blown PC? Propably never. Is it a potential fun platform (next to Windows/Linux/Mac working system). In my view yes.

Offline motrucker

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 03:10:17 PM »
Just how fast do you need the Amiga to be? and why?  I still use an A2000 with a 40MHz '030 card. It doesn't scream, but it is sure usable. Cards with 68040 CPUs are not all that expensive. When you hit the '060's then the price really jumps.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 03:43:17 PM »
Must admit I'm really enjoying my A4000/040 these days, use it pretty much every day.  I also use MorphOS daily, but the 68K Amiga is definitely lots of fun.

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 04:33:01 PM »
Amiga was my first computer, and I am fascinated by its HW, OS, and its ability to still cope in some ways with all the developments that came after (CDs, the net, Mp3s, etc).  

There have been valiant efforts to modernize, but for me, the original purity of the experience is corrupted.

My Amiga obsession aside, so far, only Linux seems to offer some of that same excitement that I experienced during the Amiga heyday.  Everything else seems to serve corporate needs.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 04:45:43 PM by Tenacious »

Offline kolla

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 06:32:35 PM »
FPGAs are getting bigger and cheaper all the time :)
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline motrucker

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 06:37:48 PM »
With all due respect, I think Linux sucks. Where the Amiga was rather logical, Linux is anything but. To many chefs syndrome, I am afraid.
My Amiga A2000, even when running 3.1OS is a good, fun, and usable machine. It has a CD-ROM, SD/FF with a CRT SVGA monitor, and a couple of 2Gb SCSI hard drives. I might even add another SyQuest SCSI removable hard drive again. They are great!
This machine is still loads of fun to use, and productive as hell, using DPaint IV, PPaint 7.1, Art effect 2.5, ImageFX v3.4, Pagestream 3.4, etc.. I throw in a game or two every now & then too. I still love this machine.

I have a PPC Mac just itching for a copy of MorphOS - so that will happen quite soon too.
the only problem is, I need a bigger computer room!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:42:25 PM by motrucker »
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline trekiej

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 06:43:41 PM »
I think the 68k Amiga could use a dedicated media encoder/decoder in the FPGA along with the emulated Amiga.
An add on card would be cool too.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 12:05:53 AM »
Quote from: motrucker;782274
With all due respect, I think Linux sucks. Where the Amiga was rather logical, Linux is anything but.

No offense here.  What I didn't say cleanly was that I can appreciate an OS and library of apps being driven by a community of users rather than a profit motive and corporate needs.  This may be more true of Debian than other distros.  Despite Amiga being a commercial product, users made tremendous contributions to the system, usually for free.  During the 80s and 90s, it was always exciting to read of the latest developments and try the coverdisks.  The Debian community seems to have more in common with Amiga's than those of Windows and Mac, for me anyway.

Quote from: motrucker;782274
I have a PPC Mac just itching for a copy of MorphOS - so that will happen quite soon too.
the only problem is, I need a bigger computer room!

Have you had experience with MorphOS, yet?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:11:10 AM by Tenacious »

Offline biggun

• Show only replies by biggun
    • http://www.greyhound-data.com/gunnar/
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 12:13:24 AM »
FGPA 68K live.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 01:24:49 AM »
i have just restored my 3.x mediator +++ setup i needed the other day after demotivated trying to get around my pc multi-track hard disk recording tools like cubase, and my a4k 060/50 is like a fresh wind. i wish hd-rec with ahi and p96 pci drivers would already work with aros68k, since then i might be spared to restore my hd setup from 2009, which still was easier than windows or apparently preferred os4 clean setup. an a4k like that works like a charm for multi track hard disk recording, a thing you wouldnt expect from a 50mhz machine.

other than that i still have put my hopes with aros(68k) as closest to genuine amiga as i can tell.