Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How do so many Amiga shops survive?  (Read 613 times)

Description:

Offline wrath of khanTopic starter

• Show only replies by wrath of khan
How do so many Amiga shops survive?
« on: December 20, 2014, 12:29:13 AM »
I recently bought an aca 030 from amigastore.eu, its been going since 1999 apparently. Vesalia it seems have been in business since 1987, that's when the a500 was released.

Surely sales must have plummeted over the years, yet vesalia are still here?
Then there is amigakit and gentle eye and a few more...

It's quite something to think that all these shops are still around and this is surely a testament to the amiga itself.

How on earth do they all manage to stay in business? I know there is NG amigas and so that is another market to make a little money; i do wonder if sales figures for say indivision or the aca 030 from Jens have ever been mentioned.
I've heard it said some pieces of hardware can sell 400 to 1,000 pieces?

Well kudos to Amigakit, vesalia and all, I have more stuff to buy for my a1200 and with individual computers and hobbyists, there is always new stuff coming.

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
Re: How do so many Amiga shops survive?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 12:35:25 AM »
Well, now that we have the web, stores don't need an actual location or even maintain a lot of stock (they can just serve as go-betweens). Also because of the web a small store can get their business from customers worldwide. All of this wasn't the case even 10 years ago when all the bricks and mortar Amiga dealers were closing.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 12:39:36 AM »
Quote from: ral-clan;780223
Well, now that we have the web, stores don't need an actual location or even maintain a lot of stock (they can just serve as go-betweens). Also because of the web a small store can get their business from customers worldwide. All of this wasn't the case even 10 years ago when all the bricks and mortar Amiga dealers were closing.
That makes sense, yes, with the internet sales can be made all over the world. I guess some of these shops might be operating out of peoples houses?

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 12:42:13 AM »
amigastore.eu has a retail presence.  Although I think they probably do most of their business in non-Amiga stuff.  Sorry, I can't read Italian but there's some pictures on this link!  ;)

http://amigastore.eu/es/contactenos
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 12:54:55 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;780225
amigastore.eu has a retail presence.  Although I think they probably do most of their business in non-Amiga stuff.  Sorry, I can't read Italian but there's some pictures on this link!  ;)

Cool. I never saw the pics. Look's like a dedicated retro store. There is a commodore sign on the wall. Edit: they are located in Lorca spain.

I remember power computing in the uk. I got my a1200 from them. I think they are defunct now.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 12:57:59 AM by wrath of khan »

Offline Rob

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 01:22:35 AM »
AFAIK Amigakit are the only one that survive purely by selling Amiga products, and for all the others it is a sideline.  Amigakit operate from an industrial park which saves costs and being based in one of the less expensive regions of the UK helps a fair bit no doubt.

Power Computing are still going but I think they exited the Amiga market about the time Amiga Active magazine closed.
I bought a quite few things from them over the years including a spare A1200 when they started selling them for £99.99.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 01:24:37 AM by Rob »

Offline SACC-guy

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 07:41:04 AM »
The haven't! There are no (to my knowledge) US stores.

M

Offline RobertB

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by RobertB
    • http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »
Computer Bargain Store still survives in Salt Lake City, Utah.  Go to http://www.oldsoftware.com/

On Christmas vacation,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 09:59:47 AM »
Sadly, in the US we have the demise of Software HUT, and A4000T.com with nothing else to replace them. :huh:

Offline amigakit

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 02:03:33 PM »
It is not easy at all surviving in the Amiga market.  It is a very small marketplace and we are very fortunate that we have some very loyal customers who keep us going through good times and bad, of which we are immensely grateful for their support.

We run this business with dedicated full time staff and we do not do anything else except the Amiga business, so we are reliant on the revenue to pay our for our offices, staff and overheads.  Any profit we make gets re-invested to make new Amiga products so that we have something new to sell in future years.

During the last year or two, it has become a lot tougher to stay profitable due to increased competition in the tiny Amiga market- there are a lot of part time new Amiga "dealers" that have started selling similar products to us. We respond by developing new Amiga software and add-ons, peripheral hardware that will hopefully distinguish us from people who do this in their spare time for some extra cash. We have found over the last 10 years that there have been lots of dealers start-up, sell the more profitable products, then fold.  Our inventory is mixed, containing products with reasonable margin and many with minimal margin. However, we recognised that it is better to stock both types of product to deliver a wider range and service to the Amiga community.

The biggest benefit of working in this community is that it is our passion outside of work too and it is thrilling to see new exciting products delivered and made available for Classic Amigas such as the A1200.

@ral-clan

Well, now that we have the web, stores don't need an actual location or even maintain a lot of stock (they can just serve as go-betweens)

We have a real office unit with a walk-in customer counter with almost a 4000 square foot area.   Local business taxes for the building are very high for this commercial space as you can imagine.   We have dedicated service area with benches where we repair Amiga's and a warehouse where we stock pile Amiga parts.

We generally have to buy 3 years of stock of main product lines because it makes sense to manufacture in a larger quantity to keep prices for customers down.  It is not generally possible to operate Just In Time stock control in the Amiga market as we are dealing with obsolete hardware.  This all results in capital being tied up for many years before it is sold to customers.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 02:11:46 PM by amigakit »
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 03:01:07 PM »
Well I'm really happy to hear that, Amigakit. I should have qualified my original response as I believe I had seen some photos you posted of your service area a few years ago.

Is there any reason for you to remain in a high tax area since most of your business is mail order?

I wonder if Vesalia operates the same way.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 03:41:35 PM »
@AmigaKit
Did you get 3 years supply of the USB competition Pro joysticks that have problems?
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline amigakit

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 04:11:57 PM »
@ral-clan

Our business rates are taxed on square foot area of our building, no necessarily the use of the building.  The larger the building you need to accommodate stock etc, the more you pay unfortunately.  We have a proportion of the space dedicated to a technical workshop area for Amiga repairs as well as office space.

@ElPolloDiabl

Speedlink the manufacturer tends to sell a new version every 18-months, so these type of items we buy in bulk and sell them through 1-2 years.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;780260
@ral-clan

Our business rates are taxed on square foot area of our building, no necessarily the use of the building.  The larger the building you need to accommodate stock etc, the more you pay unfortunately.  We have a proportion of the space dedicated to a technical workshop area for Amiga repairs as well as office space.

@ElPolloDiabl

Speedlink the manufacturer tends to sell a new version every 18-months, so these type of items we buy in bulk and sell them through 1-2 years.

@amikit... curious how many employees you have?..

Rich

Offline midway

• Show only replies by midway
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 04:26:02 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;780225

Ablo espanol?

Google translate is quiet helpful!