Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 500 repair question  (Read 1452 times)

Description: Amiga 500 won't boot

Offline ebaumanTopic starter

• Show only replies by ebauman
Amiga 500 repair question
« on: January 13, 2024, 12:53:18 AM »
Hi. I recently found an Amiga 500 and have been trying to get it running. Does anyone recognize those vertical black lines and know what that means? It asks for the Workbench disk but won't boot if those lines are displayed, and just returns to asking for the disk again. The one time that they didn't appear it booted normally, so it appears that the computer does work. I'm new to the Amiga and have no clue. Thanks.

Offline Boing-ball

Re: Amiga 500 repair question
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 01:56:03 AM »
That’s not normal. Looks like you have something failing on the mainboard. You mention A500. Is it a A500 or a A500+ ? If the latter, they had Varta Batteries that would leak out battery acid whic in time causes trace failures and green gunk.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 04:06:36 AM »
It's just a regular A500, Rev 5 motherboard. I don't see any blown caps, but I'm no expert. I tried replacing the Denise chip. It worked normally one time, then went back to displaying the black lines and wouldn't boot. I'm afraid I just blew the replacement chip.

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 08:44:42 AM »
It's just a regular A500, Rev 5 motherboard. I don't see any blown caps, but I'm no expert. I tried replacing the Denise chip. It worked normally one time, then went back to displaying the black lines and wouldn't boot. I'm afraid I just blew the replacement chip.

I never see any A500 faulty, only even seen dodgy connections. Try reseating all chips.
I see really wierd stuff, if the CPU connections are poor.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

The following users thanked this post: ebauman

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 05:56:03 PM »
Hey thanks, that worked! I re-seated the chips one by one and it turned out to be the PAULA chip. It now boots fine.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 06:02:56 PM »
But... one more issue. Some of the keys don't work. It's not random, but in vertical columns. For example the number 1 doesn't work or any of the keys beneath it (Q, A Z). Nor does 2, W, S, X. Some columns work fine though, as does the numeric keypad. Does that make sense to anyone?

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 07:51:42 PM »
But... one more issue. Some of the keys don't work. It's not random, but in vertical columns. For example the number 1 doesn't work or any of the keys beneath it (Q, A Z). Nor does 2, W, S, X. Some columns work fine though, as does the numeric keypad. Does that make sense to anyone?

That sounds like the Keyboard membrane. Might need to buy a replacement.

Offline hd74ami

• Show only replies by hd74ami
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2024, 08:59:54 PM »
The keyboard membrane traces might be possible to repair with silver glue, but it's difficult. You can use a multimeter to measure the resistance between the membrane pads and the connector to the little circuit board on the keyboard frame.

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2024, 09:21:25 PM »
The only other thing I can think of, is the Graphite of the key plunger maybe failing. You can clean these by rubbing a bit of plain paper. Either all, it will mean keyboard disassembly.

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2024, 09:00:51 AM »
The keyboard membrane traces might be possible to repair with silver glue, but it's difficult. You can use a multimeter to measure the resistance between the membrane pads and the connector to the little circuit board on the keyboard frame.

Your forgetting something. This is an A500. Completely different to A600 / A1200. Keyboard chip is on keyboard. So its more than likely an issue there, as apposed to membrane itself.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 09:01:41 AM by F0LLETT »
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.