Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Some helpful information for those new to the community.  (Read 9706 times)

Description:

Offline the_leanderTopic starter

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
Some helpful information for those new to the community.
« on: November 24, 2010, 09:00:15 PM »
Use this helpful 3x3 grid to understand where OS4/MOS/AROS zealots are coming from when they comment on any combination of the three different systems.

In row major order, they can be summarised thusly:

AmigaOS4 zealots (aka BAFs) perceive AmigaOS4 to be the one true OS due to it's direct lineage from the sacred 3.1 source. Discussion about alternatives is acceptable only after the fact they are not AmigaOS has been established. Conversely, AROS is perceived as a sinister threat, spawn of those that turned to the dark side (x86) only to spread like an unchecked disease to PPC, ARM and now even 68K! Finally, they perceive MorphOS as the wannabe contender that barges into every discussion about AmigaOS4 hawking their jumped up alternative, but alas the blue short ones do not hold the sacred symbols that belong to the one true OS, no matter how much they'd like to lay claim to the throne.

AROS zealots perceive AmigaOS4 as chained to anachronistic, slow hardware that will forever hold it back as time marches on. Hardware that is, like the equivalent mass in gold, astronomically expensive. They perceive AROS as the logical way forward; sexy, free and unrestricted by any notion of which hardware should be used to run it. Finally, they perceive MorphOS to be fundamentally flawed in a similar vein to AmigaOS4 tied to ageing hardware, though at least this ball and chain is available for rather less outlay overall.

MorphOS zealots (aka Smurfs) perceive AmigaOS4 as a wholly inferior product without any positive aspects at all, tied to obsolete, overpriced hardware. Consequently, they are completely unable to understand why anybody would use it, other than through some blind cultish devotion. They perceive AROS as an immature system, far behind the standard they believe MorphOS to have attained and thus aren't unduly concerned about the fact that it runs on even cheaper and far more powerful hardware than their OS of choice. Nor, it seems that the gulf in functionality that is their mantra is closing every day. Finally, they perceive MorphOS as the pinnacle of the Amiga experience, even if it is only fully appreciable on PPC Mac, to which it brings a second chance at life (thus skirting around the obvious observation that it's equally obsolete as the hardware their crimson adversary favours) after the architecture was unceremoniously dumped by apple in favour of x86.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:03:30 PM by the_leander »
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline nicholas

Re: Some helpful information for those new to the community.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 09:05:08 PM »
I think the middle image AROS as seen by AROS fans should be:

"I'M FREE!!!" ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 09:07:44 PM »
Lol, nice, but I think it'd be lost on anyone outside the UK :D
Blessed Be,

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 09:08:07 PM »
Ohhh crackin up!

:lol:
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline Tension

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 09:08:29 PM »
And then there are those of us who just want 3.9 to run as-is, but faster.  UAE seems to be the future as far as this cat's concerned.

We look on the whole messy next gen debate as a bit of a farce, although we wish it was not so.

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 09:09:45 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;594134
Lol, nice, but I think it'd be lost on anyone outside the UK :D

Nooo, "R U being served" has been on our sets for years. Not just the Moon.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline Templario

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 09:09:46 PM »
Very good picture and with much and unfortunatey true, for every side or gang we see the Amiga as the picture and so things are going bad... but it depend of as you the pic.
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 09:15:03 PM »
@the_leander

Are You Being Served? is hugely popular in the US. EDIT: It used to be a staple on PBS, our publicly funded (in part) broadcast network, along with Python, Dr. Who, and Fawlty Towers. Later on, Red Dwarf and Absolutely Fabulous made a splash. BBC America is quite successful, and the American version of The Office (not as good as the original, but Ricky Gervais and others from the original cast are well known here, regardless) has been running for years. Also, the community matrix is funny.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:21:45 PM by Trev »

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 09:16:21 PM »
What a shocking piece of trollbait... :lol:
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 09:17:47 PM »
Very Good! :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 09:17:51 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;594132
I think the middle image AROS as seen by AROS fans should be:

"I'M FREE!!!" ;)

Wouldn't that give the impression that AROS zealots - the classname for which remains a secret, but given the famous, somewhat provocative Kitty I'm going to call "furries" - regard AROS as highly camp, rather than free?
int p; // A

Offline Tension

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 09:18:12 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;594142
What a shocking piece of trollbait... :lol:

What's shocking is that nobody has bitten yet!  :)

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 09:18:30 PM »
Quote from: Trev;594141
@the_leander

Are You Being Served? is hugely popular in the US....

I stand corrected, at least for the US. I wonder how it does in other locales :)

@Karlos don't taze me bro :D
Blessed Be,

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 09:26:50 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;594147
@Karlos don't taze me bro :D

I'm many things but an outright hypocrite isn't one of them :lol:
int p; // A

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 09:27:56 PM »
Pretty much true! good job!

Quote from: the_leander;594131
Use this helpful 3x3 grid to understand where OS4/MOS/AROS zealots are coming from when they comment on any combination of the three different systems.

In row major order, they can be summarised thusly:

AmigaOS4 zealots (aka BAFs) perceive AmigaOS4 to be the one true OS due to it's direct lineage from the sacred 3.1 source. Discussion about alternatives is acceptable only after the fact they are not AmigaOS has been established. Conversely, AROS is perceived as a sinister threat, spawn of those that turned to the dark side (x86) only to spread like an unchecked disease to PPC, ARM and now even 68K! Finally, they perceive MorphOS as the wannabe contender that barges into every discussion about AmigaOS4 hawking their jumped up alternative, but alas the blue short ones do not hold the sacred symbols that belong to the one true OS, no matter how much they'd like to lay claim to the throne.

AROS zealots perceive AmigaOS4 as chained to anachronistic, slow hardware that will forever hold it back as time marches on. Hardware that is, like the equivalent mass in gold, astronomically expensive. They perceive AROS as the logical way forward; sexy, free and unrestricted by any notion of which hardware should be used to run it. Finally, they perceive MorphOS to be fundamentally flawed in a similar vein to AmigaOS4 tied to ageing hardware, though at least this ball and chain is available for rather less outlay overall.

MorphOS zealots (aka Smurfs) perceive AmigaOS4 as a wholly inferior product without any positive aspects at all, tied to obsolete, overpriced hardware. Consequently, they are completely unable to understand why anybody would use it, other than through some blind cultish devotion. They perceive AROS as an immature system, far behind the standard they believe MorphOS to have attained and thus aren't unduly concerned about the fact that it runs on even cheaper and far more powerful hardware than their OS of choice. Nor, it seems that the gulf in functionality that is their mantra is closing every day. Finally, they perceive MorphOS as the pinnacle of the Amiga experience, even if it is only fully appreciable on PPC Mac, to which it brings a second chance at life (thus skirting around the obvious observation that it's equally obsolete as the hardware their crimson adversary favours) after the architecture was unceremoniously dumped by apple in favour of x86.