Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS4.0 Classic with A1200 + IDEFix...  (Read 3795 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
Re: OS4.0 Classic with A1200 + IDEFix...
« on: February 23, 2011, 08:39:20 PM »
What size of HD are you trying to install it on, I could make an RDB for you and email it to you to write to your HDs RDB that works fine with OS4.0... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:47:17 PM »
I don't have a 13.5GB or 80GB HD (smallest is 200GB I think) but I'll see if I can set one up to the sizes required for an 80GB HD... :)

Reading & writing the RDB blocks on an HD is simple you just use one on the many PD tools like RDBTool from Aminet to read and write the HDs RDB blocks as a file, always handy in case your RDB gets corrupt for some reason and you need to rescue your HD... :)

EG:...

To save your HDs RDB to file for restoring a corrupted RDB (or even setting up a new HD of the same size)...
RDBTool DEVICE=scsi.device UNIT=0 File=RAM:200GB.rdb

To Write the file back to an HDs RDB blocks...
RDBTool DEVICE=scsi.device UNIT=0 WRITE File=RAM:200GB.rdb

Very easy and simple to do and save a lot of messing around partitioning and formatting HDs... :)

Leave it with me and I'll see what I can do... :)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:05:46 PM »
One quick question/thought...

I notice your using the same BPPC as me. When you try to boot into OS4.0 how far do you get ie: it should be red screen, blue screen & purple screen = successful boot into OS4.0

If your only getting as far as the blue screen then your forgetting to (if you have it enabled on your BPPC) disable the ReMap ROM feature as OS4.0 wont work with this enabled... :)

Either hold down the two mouse buttons from power up to enter the early startup screen and boot OS4.0 from the partition it's on, or if like me you have a reset button on your Amiga hold it in for ten seconds and this will switch off the BPPCs MapROM feature... :)

As I say OS4.0 will not work (you wont get past the blue screen) when the MapROM feature is active and the kickstart has been re-mapped (same applies if your using BlizzKick to ReMap the ROM)... ;)

Offline Franko

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 10:45:04 PM »
Never been sure Scout says it's a 603+ but all other utils say 603.. !!!

Can't find an 80GB HD here so I'm trying just now to modify a 200GB RDB to 80GB parameters... :)

Never heard of the purple screen repeating before, sounds like you Amiga is constantly trying to reboot into OS4, so it sounds like the problem may be elsewhere, most likely where in your startup-sequence the 4xEIDE.driver is placed.

Took me a few goes using the FastATA.driver to find just the right spot in the startup-sequence for it to sit and for it to work properly... :)