Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ease off bashing AmigaONE X1000?  (Read 50677 times)

Description:

Offline LiveForIt

Re: Ease off bashing AmigaONE X1000?
« on: July 28, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Quote from: SamuraiCrow;742721
I've met Trevor at AmiWest.  He is an Amigaholic and an honest hard-working one at that!

But as for AROS or MorphOS or even AmigaOS to win, I think will be a hollow victory even if it happens.  I suspect with the ability to build custom cores for the FPGAArcade, parallel performance of the FPGA itself will eventually kill off the Von Naumann architectures altogether.  This includes ARM, AMD64, x86, PPC, and every other microprocessor known, even 68k.  For more information on high-level synthesis of FPGA cores, see these TCE screenshots and the associated Linux downloads.

Well all of FPGA projects up to now they have mostly been failures.

BoXoR  project is dead.

Because it was over-ambitious, and a moving target, which became more and more unrealistic.

NatAMI Project is most likely dead.

Because it was over-ambitious, and a moving target, which became more and more unrealistic.

FPGAArchade is too slow, not expandable, there is CPU card coming but it's not going be faster than a Pentium II 100Mhz or something like that.
  It too slow for modern standards.

Minimig was a nice realistic project it really did show that FPGA head some advantages and that it might be possible to use this technology to improve compatibility, but as modern computer it's too slow and it lacks all sort of upgradability, you can't rally attach anything to it.

Tina project will most likely end up as NatAMI.

I have not seen anything but toys so far, but I do keep an eye on it due to curiosity.

I believe a hybrid might be interesting a computer where you have FPGA as glue logic, where you have modern CPU sitting on top of it, in some form or way.

I have not yet seen any 2 Ghz dual core FPGA Amiga coming from anyone, I like to see someone take the risk, Taver did whit AmigaONE-X1000 project, and is where good computer (but a expensive one I agree.)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:14:23 PM by LiveForIt »