Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bye bye, Symbian!  (Read 3885 times)

Description:

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
Re: Bye bye, Symbian!
« on: February 11, 2011, 06:48:54 PM »
Dumping their failing (but massively popular) OS, and up and coming one, for a company that's failed in the mobile arena once, and has picked up precious little popularity the second time round....by a guy who's been there a few months, and last worked for....Microsoft.
Can anyone say...hatchet job.
Or commodore MK2?

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 06:50:13 PM »
Quote from: tone007;614888
Luckily they aren't using Windows Mobile anymore, it's been retired in favor of the new Windows Phone, which is a completely new product.

and looks like ducks arse that gives you wankers strain with all the scrolling. ;)

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:25:21 PM »
The old WinMo was kludgey, but god were there a load of apps for it (ok, no easy app store). I still have my old HTC universal, great phone (if you like phones, laptops and transformers!).

I think apple will become a boutique product again, like they are on the desktop. I can't see anything stopping android now. When my N900 gives up the ghost, I think i'll get an android as well.

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 07:32:47 PM »
I'm old school, I want my smart phone to be fairly smart, not with a finger friendly giant bubble OS (accept for calls). I like my stylus, and I like more information on the screen.
unfortunately I think Nokia agreed with me, that's why they are in trouble. did they ever release any capacitive touch screen phones?

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 07:54:49 PM »
Quote from: tone007;614909
I don't want a phone at all, I want a portable computer that can make the occasional phone call.

Same here, smart phones are getting a bit dumber, with less info on screen. It's a fact of life.

my old phone:

Offline Khephren

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 02:43:02 AM »
Quote from: aMIGA_dUDE;614964
The intresting thing here is how will it effect the patent battle's between Nokia and Apple now?

nokias current stupidity means that someone will buy them for their IP in a few years, who has the cash?
apple does.

@duce, good post mate.

the new guy elop has really thrown the baby out with the bath water. maemo was ace, if meemo was even half as good, it would have been ok. symbian was looking crusty and bloated, mainly on the UI. fixable, it certainly ran ok on lower end handsets- which helped nokia dominate the developing world (of which china and india are going to be very important, very soon).
they became intimidated, desperate to jump on someone elses band wagon, and let suits rule the day- weve seen this train wreck before, in fact most of us lived though it in 94