Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I'm very pleased......  (Read 1715 times)

Description:

Offline ferrellslTopic starter

I'm very pleased......
« on: July 18, 2012, 10:21:16 PM »
I recently found the perfect laptop to use with Icaros Desktop.  It's a Dell Latitude D800.  AROS recognized every piece of hardware properly except for the wireless card.  I found a compatible replacement wireless card on eBay for just $6 USD.  I was also able to successfully upgrade Icaros to version 1.43 and then I went on the hunt for some decent software to install.  I couldn't find any download links for the AROS version of Cinnamon Writer so I wrote to the author and he emailed me a copy.  I unzipped it and it works beautifully.  I have to say that I'm very pleased with AROS and with Cinnamon Writer.  I'm also very pleased that Claus, the author of Cinnamon Writer, was so responsive and willing to send me an AROS version of CW.  AROS can still be a little rough around the edges at times, but all-in-all, I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it works.  A few more months and I think it'll be ready for everyday use.

Offline paolone

• Show only replies by paolone
    • http://www.icarosdesktop.org
Re: I'm very pleased......
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:00:11 PM »
Don't forget to update to 1.4.5, so... ;-)
p.bes

Offline azhoward

• Show only replies by azhoward
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:02:06 PM »
I have a desktop using a G31T-M Elite motherboard. Even though it came  with built in Intel video, I use an NVideo card. Instead of a wireless  card, I use a Trendnet Ethernet bridge. It works great with the built in  audio. At any rate, my system works great with Icaros Desktop. Believe  it or not, I have only had one lockup in the many months that I have  been using this system. Of course, I mainly use it for Internet and a  few other applications. Now, if I could get it working properly on my  eeepc 701 netbook! Aeros maybe the way to go for that. I'm also very  pleased with Aros.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 12:07:07 AM »
Quote from: paolone;700586

Yeah, I noticed the 1.4.5 update just after my initial post!  Downloading the update now.  Can't wait to install it.  I"m really looking forward to using the productivity applications that you added to this distro.  Keep up the good work!

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 08:43:48 PM »
Quote from: paolone;700586

Bad news.  I applied the latest update and now OWB won't run.  I get the following error message:  Could not open version 3 or higher of library "pixman.library".

Any suggestions?

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 09:03:51 PM »
Nevermind.  I found the updated library file here:  http://archives.aros-exec.org/index.php?function=browse&cat=development/library

But you must reboot the system after copying the new file into LIBS: or it won't work.

Offline paolone

• Show only replies by paolone
    • http://www.icarosdesktop.org
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 09:29:26 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;700708
Bad news.  I applied the latest update and now OWB won't run.  I get the following error message:  Could not open version 3 or higher of library "pixman.library".

Any suggestions?

That's odd. pixman.library should be included in Icaros from 1.4.0 or so, and it remained unchanged since then - IIRC. Reboot after copying a library is normal.
p.bes

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 10:24:44 PM »
Yes, I thought it was odd as well.  This laptop started out with a fresh install of 1.4.2, then an upgrade to 1.4.3 and then it was upgraded again today with 1.4.5.  I'm glad the updated lib from the AROS archives fixed the problem.  I didn't want to go back to 1.4.2 or 1.4.3

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 01:16:02 AM »
Just out of curiosity I download the AROS i386 native version of Ignition from here:  http://www.mazze-online.de/files/ignition.i386-aros.zip

According to the AROS page located at http://aros.sourceforge.net, Ignition for AROS doesn't have the ability to save files but it works fine on my system and saves files.  The only problem I have is that I still get German menus even when use the english prefs file.  Maybe you can add this version of Ignition to your distros?

EDIT:  Ignition will save text located in cells but not numeric values or formulas.....Darn it!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:29:03 AM by ferrellsl »