Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aeros  (Read 6717 times)

Description:

Offline trekiejTopic starter

Aeros
« on: September 02, 2011, 12:24:48 AM »
If I install software to Aeros, do I get a choice of Linux or Aros?
I guess it depends on the installer program.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Aeros
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 01:11:09 AM »
Sounds like Aeros is Linux entirely minus the desktop environment, with AROS taking its place, so I'm guessing "no." If you want both, it's easy to run AROS hosted on Linux.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 01:38:48 AM »
On a side note I would like to build my own Xamiga set up.
It does not have X . It uses Frame Buffer.
It would be a while before I could do it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 03:02:23 AM by trekiej »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 02:44:29 AM »
If it doesn't have X, how far does the claim in the other thread of being able to run Linux software go? Is it command-line/curses only, or have they rigged up a compatibility layer between X and whatever AROS calls their Intuition replacement? (That sounds like a job and a half.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 03:01:49 AM »
It at least sounds like it has its window manager removed.
Edit: Sounds like it has Fluxbox.
I believe I will be cleaning out the other HD's I have for this install.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 05:16:35 AM by trekiej »

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 09:04:40 AM »
Just nine more days.

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 10:18:02 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;657462
Sounds like Aeros is Linux entirely minus the desktop environment, with AROS taking its place, so I'm guessing "no." If you want both, it's easy to run AROS hosted on Linux.

It *is* AROS hosted, but running full screen and with some extra glue to let the AROS side of things start Linux applications overlaid on top of it so you don't need the Linux desktop.

For my part, it sounds very interesting. I already have my desktop manager configured to work as close to AROS/AmigaOS as I can. But I need some Linux apps that aren't ported yet (most importantly recent versions of Firefox and Chrome, as well as Thunderbird). If I could use AROS my desktop manager and still run my essential Linux apps and it works well, I'd be spending much more time in AROS.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 10:44:18 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;657456
If I install software to Aeros, do I get a choice of Linux or Aros?
I guess it depends on the installer program.

AFAIK, the whole thing doesn't consist of components you hunt down from the Internet yourself, but a pre-made package (on Efika MX for example, I was told it will come as an image file for easy boot/installation). A customized and somewhat streamlined(?) Linux sits on the hardware, but all it does is to boot up AROS (and there is no Linux desktop at all), and then sit underneath it and provide AROS an interface to the hardware through its drivers, and handles any Linux app you run from AROS. So IMHO (but I could be wrong) there is little point in "choosing Linux distro"; you won't see much of it, AROS is what you will see and use (with the exception of any Linux app you might choose to run), and I guess it comes pre-configured as one single SW package? Probably any updates will be handled in the same way? (i.e. you don't upgrade the linux part yourself, nor the AROS part, but download new releases of the AEROS OS that might contain both. This product is about Amiga/AROS, not Linux, which is only an "enabler" ;))

I'm looking forward to use AEROS on my Efika MX machines with real Adobe Flash, etc, etc. Will be cool! :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 12:34:34 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;658426
So IMHO (but I could be wrong) there is little point in "choosing Linux distro"; you won't see much of it, AROS is what you will see and use (with the exception of any Linux app you might choose to run), and I guess it comes pre-configured as one single SW package? Probably any updates will be handled in the same way? (i.e. you don't upgrade the linux part yourself, nor the AROS part, but download new releases of the AEROS OS that might contain both. This product is about Amiga/AROS, not Linux, which is only an "enabler" ;))

For me at least, being able to install and update Linux packages using apt or yum would be very important. Without that, it'd mean it might be a lot of hassle to get a lot of tools I depend on installed on it. To the extent that without access to a good package manager, it couldn't possibly replace my current Linux setup on my laptop - I don't have weeks of free time to compile stuff that's not pre-installed from source.

Getting that right will make a big difference in how viable it is for regular use for a lot of people.

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 06:35:40 PM »
So how is this turning out?
Anyone tried it yet?

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 06:38:08 PM »
This sounds rather interesting I must say.

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 09:24:19 PM »
/bump

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 11:52:42 PM »
The name is now Broadway-X.  The Aeros moniker was just too much like Aros so it was dropped.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 03:42:22 AM »
can't wait to try this... Being able to run aros, 68k apps, windows apps, dos apps, linux apps, and more all on the same desktop... NICE!

Being able to run chrome, firefox and more... AWESOME.

Gimp, kdenlive, blender, open office... It adds SO many capabilities to aros and also forget about driver problems.... Since its linux hosted almost ALL hardware will work, or nearly so...

I think this just may be the future of my amiga hobbying...

Keep us informed, great work guys!

Steven

Offline Manu

• Show only replies by Manu
    • http://www.cartoonspace.net
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 07:20:26 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;687255
can't wait to try this...

I agree. I always wanted to run AROS Linux hosted but I've been to
lazy to read up on how to set it up. Broadway X will give me
the best of both worlds and I look forward to using it.
AmigaOS or MorphOS on x86 would sell orders of magnitude more than the current, hardware-intensive solutions. And they\\\'d go faster. --D.Haynie