Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amithlon  (Read 37986 times)

Description:

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
Re: Amithlon
« on: September 06, 2014, 08:39:06 AM »
Quote from: nyteschayde;772405
I have a nice little amithlon system that is dated but runs it quite nicely. The only disadvantage is that when I insert any more than 1GB of RAM into the machine it fails to boot Amithlon.

I *really* like Amithlon. It somehow feels like a more stable and more of a true Amiga than AROS or when compared to other types of emulation. Something about it is really nice.

Honestly I doubt people will do it because the Amiga community IP owners are all a bit childish about their projects even long after they've stopped earning income, but open sourcing Amithlon would be such an awesome step forward.

Make sure you guys get the updated kernels, which offer more ram (up to 3 gigs, if I remember correctly.) and newer drivers. I can dig up the links, if you need them. Keep in mind, though, that the newer drivers don't allow you to make bootable CDs.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 05:55:02 AM »
Quote from: Tenacious;772467
Are the updated kernels easily found in an obvious place?  

I thought there were a few, or maybe just 1, web pages that tied all of the latest updates together for folks who still want to try Amithlon.

It can't hurt to share what you have. :)

Kernel 4 is here, along with new drivers:

http://www.hd-zone.com/amithlon/

Kernel 3.10 and below are here:

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~garycvl/amithlon/

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 01:42:08 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;772686
update:
I have an emachines computer that was pieced together.
It has an AthlonXP cpu, FIC main board, and a Geforce FX5200 graphics card.
The main board is fic part number 53-80584-00,
and the fx5200 is gf5200ua8d12d-m

The cd booted to workbench. The boing ball bounced with one frame ? stuck at top.
I have not installed it yet and want to increase the resolution.
Screen mode said possibly out of video memory when going to 16 or 32 bit color.
Ram 512 mb and video 128 mb. I will have to recheck that and cpu speed. I believe the cpu speed is 1800+.

Thanks.

This will work with Gary's kernels. You just can't make a bootable CD with it or the ones after it.

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 06:11:51 PM »
The Dell C510 also works, with Gary's kernel. If you add all the contribs, the video chipset works, without vesa modes. Never got Wifi to work, though. Also, the Dell C610 works with the original kernel.

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 06:15:27 PM »
Quote from: SnkBitten;804891
For anyone interested, if you have a laptop with a mini-pci internal connector, this card works with the Prism2v2 drivers allowing wireless internet.  I have a Dell Latitude C610 and a Dell Inspiron 5150 and both of these have the same type mini-pci internal connector.

IBM ThinkPad T30 802.11b Wireless Modem Card Intel M3AWEB56GA 91P7215 26P8520.
[ATTACH]4828[/ATTACH]

Oooh. Thanks. How did you get this working? the C610 and 510 are basically the same. I have a 510.

Offline Methuselas

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 02:18:15 PM »
Quote from: SnkBitten;806492
Here's kernel 2.4.37.11 tree patched. Inside the .tar file you'll also find my diff patch file "amithlon.patch" which I used to patch kernel 2.4.37.11.
http://amithlon.snkbitten.com/SnkBitten-kernel/amithlon-2.4.37.11.tar.gz

And if you just want the diff file...
http://amithlon.snkbitten.com/SnkBitten-kernel/amithlon-patch.tar.gz

The "amithlon.patch" file was created by running a diff between the stock linux-2.4.37.9 tree and Milan's linux-2.4.37.9-amithlon tree, creating the "diff"erences file which can then be used to patch the stock tree. I applied it to the linux-2.4.37.11 tree and was able to compile a kernel that boots my VB Amithlon.

What's the difference between this kernel and the previous one? Also, has anyone tried to update the UAE files to the current ones? Be nice if we could hack that together.

Also, you may want to add the Dell Dimension 3000 to your list. It worked out of the box (with vesa modes) with the 3.10 kernel. It worked with the original kernel, just without sound. It's a P4 system, so make sure you add the P4 patch. This was my dual boot system for a long time.

http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-dimension-3000-home/specs/