Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Layers.library V45 on the aminet  (Read 64990 times)

Description:

Offline matthey

• Show all replies
Re: Layers.library V45 on the aminet
« on: July 09, 2014, 05:15:18 PM »
@ChainIQ

Are you using the more recent unofficial P96 libraries?

http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/Picasso96.htm

These libraries fix some PIP functionality.

@ThoR
Thanks for the release.

Offline matthey

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 08:14:38 PM »
Quote from: Chain|Q;768592
No, I didn't try these, however the archive on that page doesn't upgrade rtg.library, which is said to have the problem. BTW, where does the claim comes from about the PIP functionality fixes? I can't seem to find any kind of changelog for versions above 2.0.

I am not aware of a changelog. I found the bug fix myself. In the P96Developer.lha (SDK) archive in the examples directory, there is a program called OpenPIP which failed to open. After installing Gulliver's newer P96 libraries, it works for me. The problem was probably in the Picasso96API.library p96PIP_OpenTags() function but I did not investigate the problem further. It's been awhile too.

Quote from: Chain|Q;768592
In fact, the rtg.library I have installed is slightly newer than the one included in that archive. (I think it comes from some UAE-related update.) But I'll give it a try, one can never know.

Does the rtg.library have the same version number (40.3994) but a newer date? If so, I disassembled a version with a newer date and could see that it was patched (Christian Sauer's patch?) in a way that didn't impress me. It looked like a 3rd party patch job. I didn't figure out what the patch was trying to accomplish but Gulliver and I decided it was better to use the earlier dated (but same version) unmolested version if it didn't cause problems for anyone. You can ask Gulliver if there have been any problems since then. You could probably find the discussions on the amiga.org and/or the EAB forums if you search.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=50410
http://aminet.net/driver/video/RTG403994p.readme

I couldn't find the the thread where I talked about disassembling the different rtg.library versions. I don't recall having problems with either of the new 40.3994 versions.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 08:16:42 PM by matthey »

Offline matthey

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;769339
The solution if one cared could be to port aros intuition to aos. It compiles with current gcc aros 68k backend 4.6.x or 4.7 now. There is a version 4.5.0 for aos by bernd rosch. He even tried to compile aros intuition for afa-os but has not succeeded. It was before aros68 kickstart replacement has been started though. It might be easier now.

I believe AROS took a much different approach to implementing layers though. I suppose there is the gfx.library abstraction in between so maybe Intuition wouldn't be too difficult to use. I would love to get development of AmigaOS classic going again but the legal problems remain as ThoR pointed out. There is a thread over on Amigaworld.net talking about buying the Amiga name, AmigaOS and the Amiga.com web site but it's a legal mess.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39217&forum=2

I might make an offer to buy everything myself but I don't know who owns what and I don't really want to give any money to the crooks at Amiga Inc. or a bunch of lawyers. Like I said over there, the legal fees (to insure ownership and property rights) could easily cost more than the purchase price (assuming the low kickstarter target price of only $125,000 U.S. would be enough to buy everything AND fund a new hardware project).

Offline matthey

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 06:03:09 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;773172

one issue not privilidgeing vbcc is of course that it is a native 68k compiler (afaik) and aros heavily depends on automatized cross compiling on servers to have actual nightlies ready at hand for testing by everybody. though since people are adding their preffered platforms to compile on i imagine vbcc could also be accepted if it was doable. what concerns missing features like different asm inline syntax (if i understand it right), we have here matthey who is helping with vbcc and vasm for input on that matter.

Vbcc can cross compile from x86 or PPC which is generally all that is needed for fast cross compiling to 68k. AROS is using GCC specific functionality which is a problem. Vbcc has good C99 compatibility now (new unreleased version) and Frank Wille's vlink supports the AROS 68k ELF format. Frank Wille and the AROS developers need to hammer out the necessary changes to get it to work. There isn't a lot of motivation with GCC 68k code generation quality improving lately though.