Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "shocked and awed"!: MSN recommends Firefox  (Read 5425 times)

Description:

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
Re: "shocked and awed"!: MSN recommends Firefox
« on: July 06, 2004, 04:41:07 AM »
Do you think that Firefox will install over IE or is IE embedded in Windows and can not be removed?

Explorer and Internet Explorer share many DLLs, but the browser is still a seperate app from the OS.  Anything can replace it without "overwriting" anything.

Mozilla Firefox has a long way to go yet.

Yeah, I get pissed when people say FireFox beats the pants off IE.  IE's no prize, but FireFox is too damn buggy and has too many compliance issues to be crowned king just yet.  I also really hate the download manager, and the profiles are very, very easy to corrupt, making it difficult to re-install the browser.  Downgrading from 0.9 to 0.8 was a nightmare because un-installing 0.8 didn't clear out the profiles, and, I suppose, 0.9 didn't import them properly.  Took me a couple hours to get the system cleaned up and 0.8 installed again.  Grrr...

In a couple years it should be much better.  It'll be interesting to see what IE7 looks like, if Microsloth ever gets off their butts and replaces IE6.  How long has that browser been out?!

I say that because I can't remove the internet explorer (6) icon from my Windows desktop and move it to my 'programs' folder on my desktop as I do with all my programs

If you can't remove it by dragging it to the trash, you can probably use TweakUI.  No Windows user should be without that utility.

Or be all cool and find yourself a tool to permanently erase IE6

Bad idea.  It's always dangerous to use 3rd party tools to hack your OS.

Besides, windows update doesn't work without IE.

I thought there was a way around that.  Microsoft is, finally, offering updates and patches for download, rather than forcing you to use install-on-demand.

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 04:41:32 AM »
Why is it every time I post it goes on a new page?  :-)

Offline Waccoon

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 09:18:56 AM »
The fact is neither browser totally does what everyone wants.. Maybe we should still be on a quest for a better browser rather than declare one the "winner".. I see no one stepping up and saying apple's "Safari" browser is a better tool for example..

Yeah, and that goes for all software.  If you're the best of the worst, that doesn't say much.  :-)

If you have ever written HTML or server side language code you know what a hassle it is to support different browsers with different DOMs.. I think Microsoft by promoting firefox is showing a willingness to embrace other software and to acknowledge good software no matter who it comes fom.

It'd be nice if the existing W3C standards made it easier to test for specific DOM features.  The whole point of markup is to use recognized tags and ignore undefined tags.  But, when browsers work differently, everyone complains about standards compliance.  If you really want to use the DOM, you HAVE to know certain specifics about what the client machine supports, by doing things like "if( theFeature )...".  Otherwise, just use raw markup.

Personally, I only use the DOM to size the browser window to frame an image.  Things like innerHTML are very, very evil.

KDE on linux takes the same approach(as IE) with their desktop and konquerer on linux.. It's a good idea.. Get over it folks..

Everyone bashes Windows, but every day Linux distros are getting closer to the way Microsoft does things.