Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Analogic Computers - The Stinker  (Read 13065 times)

Description:

Offline PMC

• Show all replies
    • http://www.b3ta.com
Re: Analogic Computers - The Stinker
« on: November 19, 2004, 09:32:29 AM »
Yep, "Stinker" pretty much sums them up...

I've told the tale of my dodgy 68060 accelerater they sold me here before, but their refusal to pay for shipping costs for faulty goods to be returned, someone telling me that Motorola has mislabelled some 68060RC chips as EC (EConomy models with no MMU/FPU) and even questioning my competance when I dared to complain that my expensive 68060 accelerator was missing both an MMU and FPU...

Personally I'd urge everyone to avoid Analogic Computers like the plague.  If anyone connected with Analogic Computers is reading this then I would be absolutely delighted to discuss my grievances with them.
Cecilia for President

Offline PMC

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 10:07:53 AM »

Hyperspeed wrote:
They charged me 49.99 GBP to keep my A1200 for a few months and return
it without repair.

:-D

I visited their premises which is basically a tin shed on an
industrial car park, half of which is taken up by a courier van.

My Amiga came back covered in fingerprints, grease, worn screwholes
and the warranty sticker SUPERGLUED to the base. Yes, actual superglue
was used.

Comes as no surprise.  My '060 card appeared looking like someone had eaten their lunch off it, with greasy fingerprints covering everything and unidentifiable substances lurked in the chip sockets.  

Wizard/Compute! fixed it for 29.99 GBP within 3 days.

I'm in two minds whether to write to the Office of Fair Trading about
them, despite it being 8-9yrs since the problem. If they have a
complaint on file it'll make the 2nd complaint all the more likely to
raise eyebrows.

How about we all put a dossier together and submit it?  I had my problems with them in 2001, so maybe the OFT will investigate.  It's in all our interests that rogue traders like Analogic are closed down.
Cecilia for President

Offline PMC

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 10:52:59 AM »

Rob wrote:
I bought an 060 from Analogic a while ago and am quite happy with
although the price did manage jump an extra £20 between reading the ad
and making my order but £170 seemed reasonable at the time.

The chip is marked as an XC68EC060RC60 an genuine 60Mhz part.  

I ordered a full 68060 from Analogic and was sent what they told me was a 66Mhz model because I'd "been waiting patiently".  Turned out that they sent me the CPU you describe; the EC model which lacks both an MMU (memory management unit) and FPU (floating point unit) leaving it largely useless for my system.

When I complained about it, the chap from Analogic tried to convince me that the 68060EC was in fact a full '060 that had been "mis-badged by Motorola".  He then went on to question the validity of several benchmarking programs I ran to verify the type of CPU installed.

Moreover they refused point blank to pay for shipping charges - I phoned the receptionist who assured me that the accelerator would be collected, but who later admitted that they wouldn't pay shipping charges - who was unhelpful in the extreme.

With everyone's permission, I suggest that we email Analogic to advise them of this thread and invite their feedback before we go down the Trading Standards route?
Cecilia for President