Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Switching monitors between AGA and Voodoo  (Read 3872 times)

Description:

Offline keropi

• Show only replies by keropi
Re: Switching monitors between AGA and Voodoo
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 06:46:24 AM »
I would be VERY interesterd in an auto-switch solution, as I will have a bppc/voodoo3...

Offline awe4kTopic starter

• Show only replies by awe4k
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2005, 07:53:41 AM »
An AUTOSWITCH.

YEP! That's what I meant. Well, besides all the funny answers, I have seen quite technical posts. I understand the technical points that they mention, but I don't have the knowledge to design and manufacture one such device myself.

Offline Tahoe

• Show only replies by Tahoe
    • http://www.amiga4ever.nl
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2005, 06:58:08 PM »
Get yourself one of these:
http://tiw-pro.web.internet.telia.com/~1698137/Datorer/bmon.html
Anyone want to translate?
Greetings from Wilnis, The Netherlands
Now owning ALL Amiga models and most; if not all; flavours of them...My Amiga Museum

Offline back2skool

• Show only replies by back2skool
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2005, 01:00:06 AM »
@AWE4K I have a mediator setup and to get around the small problem of manually taking out the cable from the voodoo card and fitting it back in to the scan doubler to play AGA games all you have to do is simply get a two way monitor switch box off ebay and try and get the dwitch box with 3 monitor cables.One cable from the switch box to the monitor of your choice and then the other 2 cables from the switch box going to the scan doubler and the other to the voodoo card.Now when you boot your amiga setup for voodoo out choose on the switch box which letter the cable from the voodoo to the box is like A for example and when you insert an AGA floppy disk game or click on a hard drive AGA game,Once the game starts your voodoo/screen will go blank as soon as you switch the box to B were the cable from the scan doubler is VOILA AGA game playing.As soon as you reboot don't forget to switch back to A voodoo.
This is the most easiest way of switching between AGA+Voodoo without pulling cables.
There is a couple of programs for the amiga/mediator were you can play AGA games through the voodoo with nice/sharper graphics but i could not get a full screen so i stuck to the switch box.

Hope this helps :)

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2005, 01:21:24 AM »
Its ez to avoid switching, just do what I do,

Use 2 monitors simultaneously.

Its great when developing AGA gamez,
u can see the game on the AGA monitor
while debugging output is on the voodoo monitor
WORKS GREAT!
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline kas1e

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2005, 03:23:10 PM »
Well, becouse i have voodoo/scandoubler (micronic scandy) too, i want to create AUTOMATIC swtich between my voodoo and aga too. But, it must be a full hardware project, without any software manipulation, becouse we have boot-menu, esc-menu for bppc, boot without startup-sequence, etc. I mean it can be tons of situations when you can't run/using your 'switching programm'. So, i think it is must be looks like this:
Code: [Select]

monitor cable
                       |            
              S-W-I-T-C-H-E-R
               /                     \
AGA (Scandoubler)      Voodoo
       cable                     cable

Well, if we using p96, we set Picasso96 AmigaVideo option to 31khz. (for normally mp3 playing for example). It is mean, when p96 enable video board, in amiga hsync (on alice for example) we have 31khz. If we using any PAL soft (demos/games), here is 15khz. So, i think it will be work thus: If 31khz is enable - choice video board connector to monitor, if 15khz enable - choice ScanDoubler cable. Becouse scandoubler alredy fix 15 to 30mhz, we must take VSYNC from matherboard directly (from alice, or from amiga video rgb connector, or from CIA, does not matter).

So, this kind of switch will work under p96 only. (maybe cgx gave analgy options like AmigaVideo?). And it will works always. But of course DBPAL can't be using, etc. (i think with scandoubler it is does no matter too)

Well, let's to comment anybody ?:)

2Tahoe: in your link i found only some kind of swithcer for keyboards (automatic some time) and some manualy switch but in all pictures, only one video connector is present. But it's must be 3 minimum i think (for aga,for gfx and for monitor as on my little pict).

Offline jonssonj

• Show only replies by jonssonj
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2005, 07:24:38 PM »
Hello!

Maybe this can be a solution for you:

http://www.mycom.se/produkt/vga_switch_2_pc_till_1_monitor_upp_till_28160.html

BR
Jörgen Jönsson

Offline kas1e

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2005, 01:34:03 PM »
to jonssonj:

yes, hardware realize must be creating like on this picture, but within realize must be oriented on amiga of course(SYNC 15 or 31mhz). Here is only VGA switch, and it can't work with  i think .. but who know :)

Offline PaSha

• Show only replies by PaSha
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2005, 09:03:28 AM »

I proposed on the Picasso96 ML to use the Sel DF3 signal, by creating the
proper function inside the RTG software, to control an external switcher.
They answered me (Tobias, a P96 developer) that both CyberGFX and P96 have
such a function but realized in a more clever way: a sync signal (V or H) is
set to a costant voltage level when an Amiga native screen becomes frontmost.

But this system is depending on the chipset used by the board: normally all
those support DPMS are able to set the sync signals this way.

Hmmm... I still see the picture that was left on my CV-PPC when I switch to PAL, but if the sync-signals were manipulated, shouldn't the monitor 'complain' (as in switch to power saving mode)?

-Paul

Offline MASACREWILL

• Show only replies by MASACREWILL
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2005, 08:32:03 PM »
..and what about connecting the AGA video out to TV tuner video in? Sorry for a little off topic
..A1200/ElBOX Tower/Blizz1240-40/64 MB/Mediator LT4/VooDoo3/4xEIDE/80GB HDD/Realtek 8xxx/Samsung 17\\" SM711MP LCD TV monitor with SCART-IN for 15kHz stuff.. OS 3.5 + A600 HD new!  
Old things can not get obsoleted.. ;-)

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2005, 01:53:49 AM »
What about video passthrough? Perhaps there's a way to pipe the Amigas video into the feature connector of the PCI video card? Personally, I'd go for dual input monitor or video switcher/KVM.

Oh and... I'm down wit O.P.P!
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline xaccrocheur

• Show only replies by xaccrocheur
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2005, 08:31:56 AM »
I got this very issue to deal with too (Scan-doubled AGA & CV64/3D switching) and I'd like to know if there ARE indeed KVM's (of witch we only need "V"ideo here, if I understand it right) that can actually take the signal, what models and what types of hardware mods are required ?

Thanks

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2005, 08:53:09 AM »
I'm getting one of these for Christmas. You can use a Amiga->Scart cable to connect to the unit, plug the VGA from your Voodoo in to the computer input, and the monitor in to the VGA out. It auto senses which is being used, so as long as VGA switches off when you use 15KHz it should change over automatically. There is a remote control to switch it manually should you need to. I plan to mount the unit inside my D-Box, hack apart the remote control, and wire the video toggle button to the reset switch on the front of the tower, which currently does nothing.

--
moto
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline xaccrocheur

• Show only replies by xaccrocheur
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2005, 09:00:08 AM »

motorollin wrote:
(...)I plan to mount the unit inside my D-Box, hack apart the remote control, and wire the video toggle button to the reset switch on the front of the tower, which currently does nothing.
moto

Really cool mod indeed, keep us posted please ; Oh, and what's a DBox exactly ?

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 09:08:06 AM »

xaccrocheur wrote:

motorollin wrote:
(...)I plan to mount the unit inside my D-Box, hack apart the remote control, and wire the video toggle button to the reset switch on the front of the tower, which currently does nothing.
moto

Really cool mod indeed, keep us posted please ; Oh, and what's a DBox exactly ?

I will do - after Christmas when I've got it  :-)

Oh, and a D-Box is one of these (though mine is the MKI - not sure what the difference it though).

--
moto
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline quenthal

• Show only replies by quenthal
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 07, 2005, 12:08:40 PM »

motorollin wrote:
It auto senses which is being used, so as long as VGA switches off when you use 15KHz it should change over automatically.

I'm sorry to be the one telling the nasty truth, but here it comes: It won't autosense between VGA/SCART inputs. However, it will detect if you are using rgb or composite in the scart connector when using scart as input, but this won't do any good in your case. The whole manual is available here: Manual

I was too considering this product, but since it ain't totally automagic, I'll stay eith my mediator/tvcard -combo.
A4000/CSPPC&060