Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FS: D-UAE Dedicated Amiga Emulation Station 2nd Gen w/ AmigaOS 4.1  (Read 3054 times)

Description:

Offline Rob

Quote from: c64man;783214
Well after a nasty email from Hyperion threatening me with legal action for purchasing a license for each D-UAE,  They are saying its not available to OEM manufacturers.  Well Im just a small time hobbyist lol.  Not running a darn computer company
So  I won't be able to include a copy of OS 4.1 with each one.  However since the end users of this system aren't building them,  You can purchase and install OS 4.1 on the machine yourself.  

Id rather not risk buku legal action against me just to make sure each one has a legit copy of OS 4.1

Don't see why they should complain, you were getting them extra sales and due to the limitations of UAE it's not exactly treading on the toes of their PPC hardware partners.

Offline Rob

Re: FS: D-UAE Dedicated Amiga Emulation Station 2nd Gen w/ AmigaOS 4.1
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 01:02:22 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;783216
No %&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!%&$#?@!, the Smurf Rescue guy was threatened also? I need to read up on this!

As for Hyper-jerks... ya I don't really care about their sensitivities. You are right, you are small time, there is no way you can hurt them, you can only help them really. They are STUPID for not encouraging and promoting your project.

They'd be better off pushing a WinUAE version and offering a free cross-grade to buyers who chose to purchase a Sam or X1000.

Offline Rob

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 08:46:34 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;783761
Aros is a dead end? Explain that a little better because I do not understand you

BTW I run circles around your PPC box with my 68k environment

I think he's just poking fun.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=783245&postcount=19

Offline Rob

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 09:06:24 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;783771
his SAM is 20 years old already? Wow did not know that

I think it was 1991 when I got my Sam.

Offline Rob

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 09:19:41 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;783776
the SAM 440 is from 1991?

:confused:

Why they are talking about "NG" versus "classic" in relation to PPC then

Did I say 440?  I'll leave you to google it, It won't take long.

Offline Rob

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 09:25:36 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;783780
I commented his Sam 440 and you said you got it 1991

I will leave it to you :)

Just some light hearted fun.

I did genuinely have a Sam computer back in 1991.

Offline Rob

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 12:38:08 AM »
Quote from: Duce;783787
Ahh, yes - the SAM Coupe.  Looks like a real turkey of a system, lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAM_Coup%C3%A9

Yeah looking back but it kept me entertained for a few years and the last one I saw sell on Ebay went for £600 and didn't even have a floppy drive so I'll be hanging onto mine for a few more years.

Believe it or not there's still a guy producing hardware, software and even a paper magazine for it.

Offline Rob

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 02:47:21 AM »
Red raised the issue of the legality of the marketing and sale of this machine especially if bundled with OS4.1.  It's clearly still using the Amiga name despite not have a license.  It looks like Hyperion had no choice but to issue a cease and desist.

There is od course nothing to stop an individual user buying a copy to run on whatever hardware they chose.

Offline Rob

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 12:19:06 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;783806
No choice?!  You have to be joking.....  The systems all are HP branded.  Nothing about "Amiga" printed on any of them so there's no infringement of any kind.

I didn't say he was branding the hardware with the Amiga name but he is using it for marketing purposes.  He's calling it Dedicated Amiga Emulation Station both in this thread and on his wordpress page.

Offline Rob

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 01:42:05 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;783822
Since when is the brand "Amiga" owned by Hyperion? AmigaOS yes but "Amiga" in general?

I haven't claimed the brand Amiga belongs to Hyperion but they do have a very specific agreement with Amiga Inc about what they can and cannot do.  Allowing a third party vendor to bundle Amiga OS on hardware that is not defined as target hardware within the agreement could be seen as a breach and land Hyperion in court again.

When you install AMIGAforever on it you can run AMIGA-Software on it. How would you call it?

Just because it can run Amiga emulators it doesn't give him the right to use Amiga in his product name.  He is calling it "D-UAE Dedicated Amiga Emulation Station".

Offline Rob

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 04:05:32 PM »
Quote from: c64man;783829

First I got heat for calling it the AmigaMini,  So i changed the Name to D-UAE Dedicated Amiga Emulation Station.   Now what else am I supposed to call it??,   It is what it is,  a Dedicated Amiga Emulation Station.   I can't just call it the Dedicated Emulation Station because it just runs AmigaOS.    

Call it what you want, it's not my liability.