Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS using Amiga code?  (Read 6327 times)

Description:

Offline ThemambomanTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Themamboman
AROS using Amiga code?
« on: October 20, 2002, 12:08:33 AM »
I've heard references and rumors on the internet that part of AROS is based on original Amiga OS code?  Is this true?

How did they get hold of it?  Did Bill McEwan make a special deal with Aaron Digulla or something?

Offline falemagn

• Show only replies by falemagn
    • http://www.aros.org/
Re: AROS using Amiga code?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2002, 12:21:56 AM »
Oh, well, we're getting the first trolls: this must mean we're becoming famous :)

Fabio Alemagna

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2002, 12:26:29 AM »
Oh the trolls have been here for a long time =).

Anyway, AFAIK AROS is all based on reverse-engineered code.

And that's allowed AFAIK

AFAIK

Seems I'm not sure of a lot here ;-).

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2002, 12:27:00 AM »
did shawn get a new name :P hahahahahahahahaha

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2002, 12:31:29 AM »
but seriousely didnt AROS steal some source code

;-)

'trolling is fun but dont let it become a habit'

Offline falemagn

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2002, 12:41:17 AM »
Oh the trolls have been here for a long time =).

Quoting myself:
We are getting the first trolls

"We" as in "We, AROS Team"

this must mean we are becoming famous

Again, "we" as in "We, AROS Team".

I should perhaps start using a signature :-D

Anyway, AFAIK AROS is all based on reverse-engineered code

AROS is based on the documentation available, mostly, and for a minimum part on reverse-enginnering, where "reverse-enginnering" means just that you basically build test programs which you run on AmigaOS, and from their behaviours you deduce  the functioning of the matter being tested.

That is, of course, not illegal.

Fabio Alemagna
AROS Developer  

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2002, 12:43:49 AM »
I dunno why AROS would get trolls .... its an open source project.... I think it's a step in the right direction for Amiga and I hope it develops into something good...

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2002, 01:42:34 AM »
Its not true.........

Notice the full stops, this stops HERE...

Amiga Inc have publicaly announced they are keeping a very close eye on some people. That is, i believe that to be MorphOS. I have no idea, nor do i care if they have stolen Amiga Inc IP. They corts will handle it.

But as far as this thread goes, AROS have not stolen anything. Unless of course they have been sharing code with MorphOS (which they ahve) and that code is Amiga IP.. hehe :)

Guys, dont worry about it. They courts will handle it.
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2002, 03:57:10 AM »
Odin, you could not be more incorrect.

Anyway, AFAIK AROS is all based on reverse-engineered code.

Wrong, they've written it from scratch. If it was reverse engineered code, dont you think they would be a little bit further down the track. They only just got a Workbench clone done.

No offence AROS team, its great stuff, i love it :)

And that's allowed AFAIK

Wrong again. How could this ever be allowed? Reverse engineering requires decompiling. This is very illegal, because it gives a print out of what code went into producing the binary to get an exact copy. This is Very Illegal.

AFAIK

Yes well...

Seems I'm not sure of a lot here ;-).

You dont say :)
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2002, 04:09:22 AM »
Oh, well, we're getting the first trolls: this must mean we're becoming famous :)

Oh come on, admit it, you felt left out of all those aos vs mos dog fights. ;-) Look at it this way, it will now have the publicity and recognition it deserves!  Long live AROS!

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2002, 04:16:07 AM »
I think you mean Morphos not AROS...

Offline falemagn

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2002, 04:16:59 AM »
Wrong, they've written it from scratch. If it was reverse engineered code, dont you think they would be a little bit further down the track. They only just got a Workbench clone done.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Whilst AROS has been written from scratch, that doesn't mean that some reverse engineering hasn't taken place. But don't get scared, read below...

Wrong again. How could this ever be allowed? Reverse engineering requires decompiling. This is very illegal, because it gives a print out of what code went into producing the binary to get an exact copy. This is Very Illegal.

... no, that's incorrect. Reverse engineering is VERY different than decompiling: decompiling implies reverse engineering, but reverse engineering doesn't imply decompiling. Read my above post for an explanation of what "reverse engineering" is, in its more general meaning, which incidentally is the one that applies here.

Even so, though, decompiling is not illegal everywhere. It's not in Europe, for example, if its scope is to reach compatibility with the decompiled product.

However, let me state again that in AROS there's no one single instrunction which is the result of the AmigaOS' decompilation.

Fabio Alemagna

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2002, 06:18:26 AM »
Who the hell said something like that to you. AROS, is written from scratch and in my humble opinion better than anything the official "REAL" AmigaOS has came up with.

No more Bptrs for AmigaDOS, devices and the unique way they are done on AROS alone and it's hardware abstraction layer puts it in a better class than AmigaOS.  

Bill McEwan probably wishes he had AROS,  because it is actually a *TRUE* ADVANCEMENT of the architecture, for which  it is attempting to be similar to. And the heart of the product is not an emulation like amithlon, and for speed and size it kicks MS-Windows "BUTT*..

Thermamborman: are you sure you are not spreading dis-information purposefully to attempt to side track this project that they are working on and their success? Or cast aspursions on the product's viability cause you know it actually works better and didn't ever come from any of your named sources for the "other" product you mention..

-Don
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

I asked the AROS people what kind of OS it is...
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2002, 06:30:38 AM »
They seem to be running it on Intel hardware so this seems to be AmigaOS for the X86. Whoever said AROS is going to threaten AmigaOS is mistaken. It has nothing to do with AmigaOS, except it works alike. MorphOS maybe an AmigaOS clone. Of course why should one complain about it? AmigaOS and MorphOS are basically the same thing, like Linux is a Unix clone. Are the Unix people complaining? They don't seem to be. MorphOS deosn't seem to be different. If MacOS or Windows directly opposed Amiga then one should be worried. The AOS MOS fight seems to be like brother against brother. I'm not part of the Amiga community but the complaints are nonsense. I suppose all three can coexist peacefully and there will be no problem.

Offline jdiffend

• Show only replies by jdiffend
Re: I asked the AROS people what kind of OS it is...
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2002, 06:44:05 AM »
The AmigaOS is largely composed of assembly language in the ROM and C.  Since the assembly language only runs on the 680x0 series it's pretty hard to argue that AROS stole code from it since it was developed on and runs on other processors.