Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why didn't more games use the keyboard?  (Read 1466 times)

Description:

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
Re: Why didn't more games use the keyboard?
« on: February 02, 2017, 04:07:32 AM »
Quote from: Thorham;820758
Fighting games are horrible with a keyboard. They're one of very few cases where keyboards don't work well.

Only exception I can think of to this rule was Karateka.  While not really what most would consider a fighting game toady, it definitely was a predecessor.

The terrible games are the ones that require both a Joystick and a Keyboard...

I can readily think of at least Flashback on the Amiga and Gateway to Apshai on the Atari 8-bit and Xenon 1 on the Atari ST.  Gauntlet (all versions on all platforms with single button joysticks) also had that issue where you had to reach out and press a key for the magic.

I think the main reason PC games mostly used the keyboard is because A) they had a proprietary connector, when back in the day any of the computers used that standard DB9 controller.  That only changed really on the consoles for the NES, and then the Saturn I think was the first Sega system that didn't use DB9 (probably because Atari decided to sue them).  And B) because they were expensive, terrible analog things up until USB arrived.  And of course by that time, people actually WANTED analog controls.

Also, if you think about it, a lot of the 8-bit/16bit era games were either arcade conversions or similar, where of course the joystick was king.  DOS really didn't get a whole lot of the arcade conversions, and usually when they did, they were terrible.

Oh, and the reason for Gaming Keyboards and Mice... I have 14 buttons on my Roccat Tyon (oddly, I don't game that much, but holy crap for production usage it is AWESOME!), and my Roccat Ryos MK Pro is fantastic for gaming because you don't really have to press that hard on a key for it to do something, less input 'lag' I guess you could say since you don't have to slam down the key like you do with a lot of the spongy keyboards out there.  Getting knuckle pain in my old age makes it actually tolerable to type again with mechanical keyboards.
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 12:42:02 PM »
Good idea, I will have to try that out and see if it helps.  Those mechanical typewriters are murder, that's for sure!
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 06:53:32 PM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;822062
@sammyfox

Just  to clarify I've downloaded the port of Keen Dreams for the Amiga and  I'm giving it a go (using a CD32 Competition Pro/Honey Bee Gamepad ;-)).  It's fine for a quick bit of platforming but it reminds me of an Amiga  Public Domain release to be honest. Sorry if this is a favourite  childhood memory of yours but the Amiga had an almighty advantage over the PC for this stuff. It's like the U.S. just put their fingers in their ears and ignored the Amiga in preference to the NES and early under-specced PCs! Both had horrible colour palettes (CGA was poor) and very basic hardware.

Unfortunately it has always seemed to me that the US likes to go cheap rather than what is better technology.  By cheap I mean quality, not price.  Also by whatever is fed to us on TV.

Basically Atari and Commodore didn't really advertise here, and game machines sold for kids and adults bought the computers.  so unless you were a nerdy kid that went out of his way to find computer information and then talked your parents into buying an Amiga or ST, you wound up with an IBM compatible, or just a game console.

I never did own a NES, we went from Atari 800XL, to Sega Master System, to Genesis to Atari Mega STe, then my older brother bought his friend's A500 when he had switched to a Windows 95 system.  Then we also got a crappy windows 95 system that I was constantly fighting to get sound or modem working...

Joysticks are always what I preferred, and we only out of sheer luck discovered that Spy Hunter on the 800XL actually used the second Joystick's button to use the weapons besides the machine gun.  Imagine how awkward that is...

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:26:07 PM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;822465
... and I've been installing a new SCSI Hard Drive into my classic setup! The 'miggy is almost like a person; grumbling at change before coming round to the idea i.e after partitions generated in HDToolbox in this case!

They are such fun even when there are niggles!

Ha, probably the reason I like Linux, I always like to tweak things to see if I can get thins set up the way I want it to be, instead of how some twit in Redmond wants it.

Also why I bought an Amiga, because Linux 'just works' these days.