Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Networking options for a A1200  (Read 1575 times)

Description:

Offline blongdenTopic starter

• Show all replies
Networking options for a A1200
« on: January 23, 2023, 06:11:16 PM »
I'm in the process of restoring / upgrading an old A1200 and I'd like to get network connectivity. The options for PCMCIA wifi cards seem to look like they could work but only up to wireless B, and I highly doubt a 68020 is up to the task of decrypting WPA2 on the fly (please correct me if i'm wrong, or there's a hardware solution for this!). I do plan on an expansion in the near future (maybe even a vampire, that I know has the option of onboard ethernet).

Has anyone else tried hooking up a regular ethernet port to a wifi bridge (either vampire or just with a pcmcia ethernet card)? I would assume that offloads much of the encryption stuff to the bridge and lessens the load on the amiga. Unfortunately I don't have the option of wired ethernet, though I wish I did.

• Show all replies
Re: Networking options for a A1200
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 10:55:48 AM »
Turns out getting hold of a compatible PCMCIA ethernet card is not easy! Plenty of compatible cards on ebay without dongles (no use). Guess I just have to keep checking!

• Show all replies
Re: Networking options for a A1200
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 12:42:24 PM »
I saw this... I'm actually quite tempted to try it. Amazing what you can do with a clock port and 64kb of shared mem...!