Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GreaseWeazle V4 available at Amiga Kit Amiga Store  (Read 4148 times)

Description:

Offline amigakitTopic starter

GreaseWeazle V4 available at Amiga Kit Amiga Store
« on: October 08, 2021, 11:56:06 AM »
Keir Fraser's excellent GreaseWeazle V4 adapter board is now available from Amiga Kit Amiga Store

Read/write various disk formats to floppy disks from a Windows or Mac using this adapter and a PC floppy drive. Supports ADF too!

Direct Product Currency Links:

United States
Europe
United Kingdom
Australia
New Zealand

« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 12:02:23 PM by amigakit »
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

The following users thanked this post: kreciu

Offline First Ninja

Quote from: amigakit
Read/write various disk formats to floppy disks from a Windows or Mac using this adapter and a PC floppy drive. Supports ADF too!

Unfortunately, this is only partially true. AmigaOS 4.1 isn't supported at all, which is a total dealbreaker to me. I'd love to order a GeaseWeazle, but that assumes that OS 4 has full blown support. @amigakit - how soon can we expect AmigaOS compatibility?
Karate, Jerry. Karate. It's the lifetime pursuit of balance and harmony.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Quote from: amigakit

Unfortunately, this is only partially true. AmigaOS 4.1 isn't supported at all, which is a total dealbreaker to me. I'd love to order a GeaseWeazle, but that assumes that OS 4 has full blown support. @amigakit - how soon can we expect AmigaOS compatibility?
If you want full OS4.1 support I'd recommend you get a Catweasel MK4+
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline First Ninja

Re: GreaseWeazle V4 available at Amiga Kit Amiga Store
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 06:27:25 PM »
If you want full OS4.1 support I'd recommend you get a Catweasel MK4+

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the Catweasel is out of stock since years ago. When they did show up on various auction sites, the asking prices are usually with a markup of several orders of magnitude. That is exactly why the Amiga platform should embrace initiatives like this one - buying the GreaseWeazle not only supports hardware developer, creating brand new hardware, but the distributor as well. It's a win-win for everyone but the scalpers.

@amigakit - I'm eagerly awaiting an answer. Thank you in advance.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 09:41:24 PM »
@ First Ninja
sad to hear about the Catweasel MK4+ shortage as it's just an awesome product that works great under OS4.1 for quite some time now...wonder my Individual Computers wouldn't have them in stock for so long...as they are the manufacturers after all ?

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 09:43:01 PM by F1Lupo »
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 10:33:46 PM »
@First Ninja

Hi

We are always prepared to re-invest in these type of software development projects.  The profits we make from our sales routinely get ploughed back every year into new Amiga hardware and software.

First a review of the dependencies would be needed.  I can see that Python 3 and pyserial libraries are required.  This is not going to be a straight forward port.  More investigation is needed.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 10:41:12 PM »
@ First Ninja
sad to hear about the Catweasel MK4+ shortage as it's just an awesome product that works great under OS4.1 for quite some time now...wonder my Individual Computers wouldn't have them in stock for so long...as they are the manufacturers after all ?
This surprises me, too. It certainly seems like the demand is there for another production run. I wonder if it's an RoHS/EOL component situation.

Offline First Ninja

@First Ninja
We are always prepared to re-invest in these type of software development projects.  The profits we make from our sales routinely get ploughed back every year into new Amiga hardware and software.

First a review of the dependencies would be needed.  I can see that Python 3 and pyserial libraries are required.  This is not going to be a straight forward port.  More investigation is needed.

Thank you for answering. Your general stance about re-investing in Amiga support is potentially good news for the GreaseWeazle. While most solutions would be welcome, building a native AmigaOS version that fully exploits the OS would likely do the GreaseWeazle even more justice.

Implementing the support as a trackdisk.device compatible AmigaOS device, allowing Workbench to access FFS formatted floppies, is strongly encouraged. Even with a basic, read-only version it would make the GreaseWeasle an instabuy item for me. Thank you for considering it 👍.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 08:34:11 PM by First Ninja »

Offline AmigaOldskooler

• a.k.a Puni/Void
    • Show only replies by AmigaOldskooler
    • Old School Game Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 08:17:09 AM »
Hi AmigaKit,

I was wondering if you've had a chance to do investigation concerning making GreaseWeazle working on AmigaOS 4 setups?  :) Thanks in advance for answer.

Offline Vanilla

• Show only replies by Vanilla
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 11:40:41 AM »
Implementing the support as a trackdisk.device compatible AmigaOS device, allowing Workbench to access FFS formatted floppies, is strongly encouraged. Even with a basic, read-only version it would make the GreaseWeasle an instabuy item for me. Thank you for considering it 👍.

I agree. I would have expected there to be a mass storage protocol used. Or at least appear as a floppy device as well as the serial device. A USB floppy drive can be plugged into an OS4 machine and works out of the box. The firmware would need to identify itself as a floppy drive and support associated commands.

What I've noticed lately is a trend for Windows only support. The modern Amiga people tend to use use Windows. Within emulation or using a PC to both partition an Amiga drive or update firmware for an Amiga device. Not even a real Amiga is being supported any more! Too much dependence on the PC these days, the Amiga used to survive on its own and do it's update firmware itself.

But even here the OS support apart from Windows looks slightly atrocious. On the Mac you need to install an SDK then download files and compile it yourself. On Linux it's not much better. What if you are just a normal user? Normal Mac users don't have X-Code installed! ???
Welcome Vanilla. To your continuing tour of duty. :-)
 :angel:

Offline kolla

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2023, 03:58:37 PM »
What’s to compile?
From what I recall, it’s all just pyhthon, and Windows is the oddball (as always) because it doesn’t ship with python built in.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2023, 07:07:10 PM »
@AmigaOldskooler

We have looked into it.  The source code is Python 3 AFAIK so would take a lot of work to port to OS4.

Offline Spektro

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023, 11:29:00 AM »
Hello AmigaKit,

If you need a coder, I'm available for Python projects.

Offline Vanilla

• Show only replies by Vanilla
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2023, 12:17:48 PM »
We have looked into it.  The source code is Python 3 AFAIK so would take a lot of work to port to OS4.

I think that's too complicated. That would need yet another program compiled with a GUI. It should be as simple as a DOS driver.
Welcome Vanilla. To your continuing tour of duty. :-)
 :angel:

Offline kreciu

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2023, 07:10:27 PM »
It would be great to have a driver for Amiga os4.1 and MorphOS.
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD