Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Trojon Horse or a Dirty Trick ??  (Read 2663 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: A Trojon Horse or a Dirty Trick ??
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 20, 2004, 12:25:52 PM »
In answer to this thread, SPYBOT!!!

HopperJF wrote:
not really
most apps on wintel come with mac versions or equivalents
if theres a market, amiga equivalents too
the point is people are living without wintel, its possible, its just whether people are willing/have the guts to take the plunge

there are people who get by on amiga

There is one reason why I have a Wintel over a Mac, Bang Per Buck. I tested an Apple PowerBook G4 and a Pentium4 Laptop, both running Reason 2.5 and Logic Audio at the same time. The Wintel was able to do so without slowdowns, and cost nearly £1000 less.

Offline MagicSN

• Show only replies by MagicSN
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2004, 01:12:15 PM »
That sounds familiar... a guy I know had something similar once... he just clicked on the webpage where
some wallpapers were for download, and BANG he had such a thing installed... in his case it was even more "funny": Since then all texts in HTML pages which referred to certain keywords ("Software", "Hardware", "Mail", "Anime", "Wallpapaper",...) linked to some webpage of the spammers (providing "search functionality" there). Google was turned nearly unusable by this, as you could not click anymore on links which contained one of the keywords, as then only the link for the useless "search page" came through... In the end I had a look at the system together with the poor guy and in the end we managed to murder the crap again from his system.

Sometimes I REALLY wonder why they still use Windows in Business. The security risk (and the annoy-factor and the timeloss) with all that Adware stuff is soooo much bigger than any "advantage" (which many people would find argueable anyways...) of it can ever be... I guess they just use it as they "always did use Windows before".

Steffen

Offline Martyn

• Show only replies by Martyn
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2004, 01:13:12 PM »
And of course, Macs suck.  I'd rather have windows (really).

I find AdAware is good at getting rid of spyware when i can't find where in hiding in my registry.

And get ZoneAlarm for your firewall.  Many others are useless.  I find it use to use as well.
If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot.
Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -- Bruce Lee

Offline melottTopic starter

• Show only replies by melott
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2004, 03:05:53 PM »
Hmmm...

I have 'ZoneAlarm' installed. It got past it.
I'm going to D/L one of the Spywares recomended
here and try that.
Stealth ONE  8-)

Offline JetRacer

• Show only replies by JetRacer
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2004, 03:06:35 PM »
My Wintel is used strictly for gaming. I always surf with my A1200 / IBrowse 2.3.
*Zap! Zap!* Ha! Take that! *Kabooom!* Hey, that\'s not fair!

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2004, 04:42:04 PM »

Martyn wrote:
And of course, Macs suck.  I'd rather have windows (really).

I find AdAware is good at getting rid of spyware when i can't find where in hiding in my registry.

And get ZoneAlarm for your firewall.  Many others are useless.  I find it use to use as well.

wierd
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline Martyn

• Show only replies by Martyn
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2004, 05:15:35 PM »
melott wrote:

Hmmm...

I have 'ZoneAlarm' installed.

Good!  Never put a windows machine on the net without it.  (Unless you're behind another firewall etc....)

It got past it.

Well it won't stop you from downloading and installing spyware (usually hidden inside another application), but it will protect you from external attacks and will prevent any spyware from "phoning home".  When it tries to do that, ZA will pop up asking you if it has permission.

I'm going to D/L one of the Spywares recomended
here and try that.

Yep.  Once their installed, your firewall will only stop them from sending infomation back (if it's any good - outbound protection is what many "firewalls" lack).

To actually find and get rid of them, you'll need anti-spyware software.
If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot.
Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -- Bruce Lee

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2004, 07:03:19 PM »
I prefer IE and use it for places I visit regularly.  For new sites or places with lots of pop-ups, I use Firebird

Another helpful tool to have that saves some registry hacking is AppPaths.  It's particularly helpful for Win2K users like me, because unlike Win98 and XP, 2K doesn't have MSConfig.