Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A common attitude with Windows users here  (Read 7076 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymikeTopic starter

• Show only replies by mikeymike
A common attitude with Windows users here
« on: November 02, 2003, 08:02:36 PM »
You'll complain to the ends of the earth how slow/rubbish/unstable/whatever your WIndows installation is, but you are unwilling to do anything about it, eg. find out how to configure Windows correctly.

Another eg. of course is use a different OS :-)

Willing to whinge, unwilling to learn.  That's what I think it comes down to.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
Re: A common attitude with Windows users here
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 08:13:53 PM »
When I buy a car, I expect it to run with zero maintainance. If I have to spend every weekend fixing it or pushing it in the mornings, it's time to buy a new car. :)

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 08:26:45 PM »
@mikeymike

I agree with you there. Windows has plenty of flaws, but the majority of complaints are down to nothing more than user ignorance.

The ironic thing is that so many also talk about how "intuitive" AmigaOS is, without bothering to consider that the intuitiveness comes from familiarity. Stick someone not used to AmigaOS in front of an Amiga and make them use it for a while, and 9 out of 10 will find the experience a nightmare.
Bill Hoggett

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 08:30:48 PM »

bhoggett wrote:
@mikeymike

I agree with you there. Windows has plenty of flaws, but the majority of complaints are down to nothing more than user ignorance.

As a professional developer, I can honestly say that its "always the user"! ;-)

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 08:44:22 PM »
You'll complain to the ends of the earth how slow/rubbish/unstable/whatever your WIndows installation is, but you are unwilling to do anything about it, eg. find out how to configure Windows correctly.

But it is quite easy to make things worse at the moment i have a slight graphics problem with some games its not directx so it might be the nvidia drivers when i get time i might unistall them and reinstall newer drivers. if not its a windows problem windows allways dies in the end  no matter what  you do.

:-)

I have had windows 2000 for about 7 to 8 months on this machine without reinstalling a record for me.
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline Desolator

• Show only replies by Desolator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 08:59:40 PM »
I have this Win2K installation that hasn't been slow or degenerated once... and I installed a year ago. It's pretty much down to the user if the OS gets slow.  I must say that Windows does what it is supposed to do, but no fun factor as with AmigaOS.

forgot to mention, above stated computer is heavilly used everyday. ;) So it isn't just a server ticking away.
// Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.
// Ph.D in Amiga future optimism.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2003, 09:12:24 PM »
Bhogget wrote:

The ironic thing is that so many also talk about how "intuitive" AmigaOS is, without bothering to consider that the intuitiveness comes from familiarity.

I can only half agree. Amiga is intuitive because it's simple. To install a shared library you copy it to LIBS:, for example. No more, no less. On Windows, the concepts of registry and the infamous "dll hell" are not intuitive to anyone, even people who are familiar.

I think the fact that people who have used Windows for almost a decade have to re-install a whole program to compensate for a missing file or a broken registry key says everything about Windows we need to know. And it will never, ever improve, either, just hide itself under yet another layer of complexity to make it better in the short term and worse in the long term.

Most of the people here will jump on Window's fairly massive faults because they want to believe that it's crap. I however, think it is crap. And that, of course, is an opinion, not a fact.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2003, 09:14:09 PM »
So you are saying that all fault is on the user? Windows is not bloaty?  :-?

I turned off every effects/fatures i could on my XP install, the gui still lacks the response you would expect from a decent OS. NT4 running on older hardware is WAY more responsive than XP on a modern pc with all effects/features and such crap removed.

And btw... you should not need to edit the registery/use 3th party programs to be able to turn off the unusable/annoying features that slows the whole system down

I just cant wait for longhorn... i tested the pre beta here the other day, it is WAY worse than the alpha of XP was... Is totally unusable on any computer with less than 512meg ram.

I personally think that m$ should ditch explorer gui totally and instead start developing a new gui from scratch.. Explorer is what is causing most of the problems with windows this days

Offline Lo

• Show only replies by Lo
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2003, 09:17:50 PM »
Oh, of course its the users fault, we just love editing the windows registry, removing ad-ware and spy-ware, defragging, devirusing, streamlining the startup, dealing with IRQ's and hardware conflicts, all from a noisy arsed box.  Why should I go back to Amiga?  :-D
[color=0000CC]GVP 060 @50 Pwr Twr [/color][color=FF0000]AMD_Amithlon_UAE[/color]

Offline Damion

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2003, 09:23:36 PM »
I have had ME installed on an old Athlon XP for
over 2 years (original install) and it's been
fine. The OS is kind of messy and clunky, but
it's fairly stable and certainly doesn't need to
be reinstalled every other Tuesday.

Windows is OK for what it is - a commercial
McProduct for the 'broader' masses. I don't go
to 'Taco Bell' expecting gourmet...as long as
it's cheap and does the job...Just keep Windows
relatively tidy, don't install millions of
unnecessary junk apps and it'll work "as
advertised".

-edit-

Plus Windows is great for ET and Q3...:P

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2003, 09:25:36 PM »
I think I'm going to vomit  :-P
this space for rent

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2003, 09:27:49 PM »
I'll give credit, where credit is due. 2kPro kicks @$$. I haven't had a LICK of problems with it in my two years of use. Most of my installs were 'cos of replacement HDDs (NEVER BUY Western Digital. I have replaced 3 REFURBISHED drives, all sent to me as replacement to a NEW one still under warranty!!!). No my roommate, she's got a crappy XP box. I know I've installed it for her at least 4 times since we've lived together and that's been about 4 months.

Granted, she's got a REALLY SH!TTY onboard everything PC, with a noisy, slower-than-dog-sh!t-HDD, but still....

:-o
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2003, 09:28:22 PM »
> You'll complain to the ends of the earth how
> slow/rubbish/unstable/whatever your WIndows installation is,
>  but you are unwilling to do anything about it

Well, I installed Gentoo!

> Willing to whinge, unwilling to learn. That's what I think it comes down to.

I don't know if learning linux, and compiling all your own software can be considered "unwilling to learn"  :-P
this space for rent

Offline mikeymikeTopic starter

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2003, 09:29:39 PM »
When I buy a car, I expect it to run with zero maintainance. If I have to spend every weekend fixing it or pushing it in the mornings, it's time to buy a new car. :)

You'd need to tweak that analogy a bit to replicate the behaviour here.  "When I buy a car, I expect it to run with zero maintenance.  If however it does need maintenance, I'll choose to just whinge about it not working all the time, and not bother to do anything about it.  Also, all cars from that manufacturer must also be defective in exactly the same fashion.  It could not possibly by my fault in the slightest, or I never do anything wrong".

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2003, 09:31:19 PM »
I have had ME installed on an old Athlon XP

well here it leaked ram as he*l... After a couple of days of uptime it had leaked so much that i could not even open a folder... It was partily due to a bug in via chipset but still....
Same computer was rocksolid on both winNT, 2k and linux.