Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 5ghz+  (Read 4319 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: burn, baby, burn...
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 08, 2005, 10:39:33 PM »

bjjones37 wrote:

adz wrote:

Yes, that would be a good idea. However, the only x86 based solution that comes close to what you desire is the VIA Eden, plus they come in miniITX, just a thought.

Hey that VIA Eden chip does look great! If it has full MS software compatibility, that might just be my next computer. My P3-1GHz runs everything I have at a decent speed and that chip might even have better performance with it's SSE support.

Bear in mind that my 2Ghz Athlon64 3200+ runs at 26 degrees C... that a damn slight cooler than any 68k I've enver seen.

Offline bjjones37

• Show only replies by bjjones37
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2005, 10:44:05 PM »

blobrana wrote:
Hum,
AMD has full MS software compatibility as well, i thought...

(As well as coppermine... ;) , compatible with your mobo)

Best used with artic thermal paste....(apply not too thick , less than a mm)

What looked so good about the VIA Eden chip was that it ran so cool.  It claims to not even need a cooling fan. I believe that the AMD processors, while high performance, run just as hot as the Intel chips.

It gets really hot in Texas. I remember hearing about the heat wave they had in France a couple of years ago and how thousands (IIRC) actually died.  We have that kind of weather in Texas every year and I did not even have AC when I was a kid.  I keep the AC at 81 degrees during the summer but sometimes my computer room heats up to 90 or so just because of the computer (or two) being on. I have had to resort to leaving the side panel off of the case to cut down on the everheating.  It does help, and of course it is a lot better now during the winter.
Any obstacle can be an opportunity, try a different perspective.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2005, 10:44:27 PM »

bloodline wrote:

bjjones37 wrote:

adz wrote:

Yes, that would be a good idea. However, the only x86 based solution that comes close to what you desire is the VIA Eden, plus they come in miniITX, just a thought.

Hey that VIA Eden chip does look great! If it has full MS software compatibility, that might just be my next computer. My P3-1GHz runs everything I have at a decent speed and that chip might even have better performance with it's SSE support.

Bear in mind that my 2Ghz Athlon64 3200+ runs at 26 degrees C... that a damn slight cooler than any 68k I've enver seen.

And how about without active cooling?

My 68040 + heatsink (unfanned) under 100% load never gets above 35C, and that is supposedly the hottest of the 680x0 series.
int p; // A

Offline bjjones37

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2005, 10:47:44 PM »

bloodline wrote:

bjjones37 wrote:

adz wrote:

Is that without a cooling fan?

Neither my ST nor my Amiga seem to get all that hot, but then we are talking MHz, not GHz.

Offline patrik

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2005, 10:51:54 PM »
@bjjones37:

Yeah, thermal paste is better, although your solution should work. When having problems with thermal transfer, it is quite common that some solid and large enough object has come between causing bad contact, like solid dirt etc. Cleaning it away and using a thin layer of thermal paste as blobrana says would be a good idea. When removing the old melting solution, try not to not scratch the surfaces as that will reduce their thermal transfer ability. Peeling away the most of it with your fingers and then cleaning away the rest with alcohol should keep the surfaces intact.

Other than that - is your cpu heatsink of adequate size, are the case fans directed appropriate? For example, the psu fan and fans at the back of the computer should be blowing air out of the case while fans at the front should be sucking air into the case. Also are there enough air-intake holes of enough size so the fans actually are able to draw any air through the case? You should also check the cable routing so no cables are covering for example the fan on the cpu heatsink.

May I ask what temperature you have in the computer room and what the cpu and case temperature of your computer is?

/Patrik

Offline bjjones37

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2005, 11:04:43 PM »

patrik wrote:
@bjjones37:

May I ask what temperature you have in the computer room and what the cpu and case temperature of your computer is?

/Patrik

I will have to check on that when I get home.  I have a temp monitor that pops up to let me know when I overheat so I do not always look at the actual temperature.  Funny thing is that sometimes it just spikes.  Even when it is 65 degrees in the room - but that is rare.  As I said earlier, during the summer it can get up to 90 in my computer room just because the computers are on when it is about 81 in the rest of the house.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2005, 01:20:47 AM »
@bjjones37

Don't use degrees Farenheit man, its just too... wrong :-D

Embrace degrees Celcius (or better yet Kelvin) and never know fear again :lol:
int p; // A

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2005, 02:31:00 AM »
If the Cell is placed into desktop computers it may be another victim of the PC.

Note that Cell is highly optimized only for certain tasks, and will be made in a single speed.  It will not evolve as quickly as anything in the PC industry.

People made a huge deal out of the Sony Tool (PS2-based workstation).  It was news for about 6 months when the technology was overtaken by just about everything else.  The PS2 is a highly integrated machine.  It does its job well, but is not terribly adaptable, unless you just parallel-link a ton of them, and that's not financially sound.

Note that flexability and the ability to choose many different components is what made the PC such an important machine.  People prefer commodity over raw performance.

The PC has been able to do this because of a huge software base and it's ability to steal the competitors clothes.

And yet, people still think closed architecture, dependency on a single hardware platform, vertical monopolization, and mandatory bundled hardware is going to save the Amiga.  For all the flak Microsoft took years ago for their built-in web browser, fanatical Amigans are still proud of their "mandatory hardware attached."

Hey, it works for Apple, right?

Microsoft got rich becuase they practically gave MS-DOS to IBM for free, with the condition that they could sell their OS to competitors.  Soon, IBM was irrelevant, clones took over, the PC went "open", and MS controlled the entire desktop industry.

Moral, anyone?

People who continuously bash x86 architecture always use Prescott P4's as their example.  I doubt anyone in Amiga-land really knows how good the new Athlons are getting.

My next machine will be AMD.  Hands down.

My 68040 + heatsink (unfanned) under 100% load never gets above 35C, and that is supposedly the hottest of the 680x0 series.

Many 486's didn't need heatsinks at all.  That was just the way things were done back then, before computers went mainstream all this Pentium marketting nonsense started happening.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2005, 02:36:44 AM »
@Waccon

I added the heatsink myself, thinking it would be needed. Frankly it isn't.
int p; // A

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2005, 04:37:00 AM »

Waccoon wrote:
I doubt anyone in Amiga-land really knows how good the new Athlons are getting.

My next machine will be AMD.  Hands down.

I live in Amigaland, have two of them, and I have two AMD Athlon 64 processors.. In fact I am writing this to you on the  prerelease of Windows XP Professional x64 edition.. I even have the 64-bit release candidate of Java installed.. To know how fast this really is you have to experience it..

I look forward to the day when I can boot AROS on Nitro, my tower AMD64 machine with full networking.. That will just totally kick a$$ and honestly, I'd drag race an AmigaOne any day with it.. I don't see moving to PowerPC hardware an effective solution for most people here in the USA.. The E.U. might be another story.. I am just glad soon I will have an Amiga style OS for it. I wish it could be the real thing, but with all the development happening with AROS I am not really worried about it...

-Don
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2005, 04:42:07 AM »
If you're looking at a new PC and specifically I will warn you, that even the fastest VIA Nemiah (or however they're spelled - basically their top end chips) are only comparable with Pentium 2's in general usage.

Honestly you'd be fine with an Athlon XP with a decent cooler on it (IE, not the stock one). I had one with a water cooler and even on the hottest of days the thing at full tilt never rose above 40C, even overclocked as much as it was (1.6Ghz stock up to 2.0Ghz).

At stock rates, with a reasonable qualty heatsink fan combo you should be expecting operating temps between 35C and 45C idle and at full tilt running at about 55C. They are superb chips, if you want to get clever, look for Athlon XP mobility chips, they run cooler and draw much less juice without effecting their performance. They are also Socket A chips.

Now, if you think that the P4 is too hot to handle, perhaps you should consider the Pentium M series CPU's, at 1.6Ghz they will laugh at anything a 2.8Ghz P4 can do, and do it using far less gogo juice (and thus run cooler) into the bargain. They're not as cheep as AthlonXP's or Mobility XP's, but they are solid performers that you should consider. I believe Asus make boards for Pentium M in a microATX form factor as well.

I could assemble a kit list for you if you wish.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2005, 02:24:39 PM »
Honestly you'd be fine with an Athlon XP with a decent cooler on it (IE, not the stock one). I had one with a water cooler and even on the hottest of days the thing at full tilt never rose above 40C, even overclocked as much as it was (1.6Ghz stock up to 2.0Ghz).

My Athlon64 runs at 26 Degrees (over clocked!) with the stock cooler, the one that came with the "Processor in a box".

I think the best thing about the Athlon64 is not it's 64bit ness but it's integrated dual channel memory controler... the performance boost that they alone give is phenominal!

Offline the_leander

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2005, 06:21:03 AM »
The readings I gave were from mbm5, I honestly can't see an Athlon64 running that cool, not with the stock cooler, especially given the Abit boards web boards. I don't know, perhaps the newer models do run cooler, but in my experience with AMD64's with the stock cooler, its simply not effective at cooling the thing. No amount of re-adjusting or putting on arctic silver instead of the pink goop thats on the thing as standard drops the temp. I dunno, perhaps I've got a duff one... But I will need a far more effective cooling solution if I want to keep this system beyond next year in a servicable condition.
Blessed Be,

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2005, 07:23:23 AM »
No amount of re-adjusting or putting on arctic silver

had a  somewhat similar problem but found some causes and cures to my problem
My 2nd PC, a P3@933 was running near 50deg C
1> I tried a higher CFM fan, only 2 or 3 C improvement
2> Then applied artic silver 5, no improvement
3> conducted in-depth google-ing
4> Purchased exact-replacment heatsink
5> Performed a LAPPing operation on it thru 800 grit
   and cleaned it with xylene
6> Reread *complete* *proper* Artic-Silver5 instructions from            -  their website (needs to be near-razor-thin layer)
7> re-installed and now run at 36-37deg C

(maybe refer to alpha-pal or hedgehog heatsink)
wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2005, 10:42:06 AM »

the_leander wrote:
The readings I gave were from mbm5, I honestly can't see an Athlon64 running that cool, not with the stock cooler, especially given the Abit boards web boards. I don't know, perhaps the newer models do run cooler, but in my experience with AMD64's with the stock cooler, its simply not effective at cooling the thing. No amount of re-adjusting or putting on arctic silver instead of the pink goop thats on the thing as standard drops the temp. I dunno, perhaps I've got a duff one... But I will need a far more effective cooling solution if I want to keep this system beyond next year in a servicable condition.

I forgot to say that my Athlon64 is a 90nm SOI one (like all new Athlon64's), which run much cooler (and over clook much better) than the old 130nm chips.

The stock fan is really quiet too.

Offline the_leander

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2005, 10:52:32 AM »
I intend to get myself a naffing great heatsink like the CoolerMaster Hyper 6 shown here Rather then muck around with having to sand the damned thing. Normally I'd avoid Cooler Master like the plague, but this particular cooler seems to be amoung the best available.

All AMD64's are SOI chips, mine is however a 130nm version (as are all socket 754 Athlon64's.)
Blessed Be,