Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Haiku RC 3  (Read 4957 times)

Description:

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
Re: Haiku RC 3
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 25, 2012, 04:59:22 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;685203
That kind of stinks.
With the new e6500 core Qorlq processors and their abundance of cores, this could get really neat.

How is it that there are proposals to  do an ARM port, but not a port to a platform that is more closely associated with BeOS?
After all, other then X86, I can't think of any other BeOS ISA.

IMHO, it's because they're developing an OS, not custom hardware, and quite frankly, why would you?

Doing x86 is a good way to add to your developer and user base.  ARM is hot right now so getting those developers and users is a plus.

Most users upgraded from their PPC Macs and don't intend to go back to lesser machines.  To most of the world they're relics like 486's, a curiosity from the days of dial-up.

Current and presumably future PPC designs are 99% crippled embedded devices or undocumented hardware like consoles that have to be hacked to be useful.  The other 1% are largely being used by us.

I can't really fault their plans and it seems to be working exceptionally well.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2012, 05:16:39 AM »
As I understand it, it's not that PPC won't be supported, just that it won't be supported until they've got the OS in what they feel is a fully useable state (though from what I've seen I'd say it's already there.) They did have PPC builds, and there's at least one developer still working on it, it's just not a focus of development and not officially supported ATM.

I certainly hope they support it, I'd love to be able to install it on my Powerbook.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 06:13:26 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;685207
As I understand it, it's not that PPC won't be supported, just that it won't be supported until they've got the OS in what they feel is a fully useable state (though from what I've seen I'd say it's already there.) They did have PPC builds, and there's at least one developer still working on it, it's just not a focus of development and not officially supported ATM.

I certainly hope they support it, I'd love to be able to install it on my Powerbook.

Well, you'll soon be able to run MorphOS on that, but from what I've seen you're not using it on your current hardware.

I'm going to have to try this on a multi-core AMD based system.
Any idea what video cards would work well?
I have an Nvidia 7600GT in an AROS system (unfortubately set up with a single core A64).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2012, 06:29:15 AM »
Nerds sitting around on a saturday night talking about hacking their wiis....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2012, 06:36:12 AM »
Quote from: persia;685225
Nerds sitting around on a saturday night talking about hacking their wiis....

Horrible, isn't it?
Actually, I'm sitting here watching "Off Beat Cinema" with my wife and our new puppy (as seen on my avatar).
I'm drinking a beer and feeding the dog cashew nuts, WHILE talking about hacking Wiis.

BTW - Ain't it great how technology enhances nerdery?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline amigasociety

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2012, 01:12:54 AM »
For those lovers of BeOS, here are a couple fun links.

Computers or OS's with songs made about them are super cool.

Of course for Amiga we have "Only Amiga, makes everything possible", but for a lover of BeOS, these two links should bring a smile to your face.

Not only catchy but brings me back to mid 90s computing fun.

http://media.benjaminoakes.com/2004/The%20Cotton%20Squares/5038.mp3

http://media.benjaminoakes.com/2004/The%20Cotton%20Squares/Virtual%20(Void)%20(Remix).mp3

Here is a link to a page that has a # of BeOS songs.
http://www.benjaminoakes.com/tag/beos/

Enjoy!

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2012, 03:08:35 AM »
Beos and haiku are worlds ahead of many os systems but its so damn but ugly that its hard to use. They have to make it skinnable some day I hope to god...

Steven

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2012, 04:42:59 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;688399
Beos and haiku are worlds ahead of many os systems but its so damn but ugly that its hard to use. They have to make it skinnable some day I hope to god...
That'd be nice, but honestly I don't mind the appearance of the individual elements so much as I do the stupid variable-length title bars. That and the lack of a taskbar are the only real issues I see with it at a glance.

I'm getting a new (old, refurbished) laptop this upcoming week, I'm going to leave a partition for experimental-OS stuff. Windows is going in directions I don't want to follow, I'm gonna see if Haiku + WINE will do for my needs...
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline haywirepc

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2012, 05:00:45 AM »
I use my own linux respin mostly so I don't care what direction windows goes in, but I can see what you mean. Its looking like a big mess is coming. This will be about as good an upgrade as windows me....

Alternative OS systems are going to grain ground when this madness really takes hold... People will look for alternatives.

Steven

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 05:26:11 AM »
Installed the last release on a supported HP Omnibook Laptop. The sound card wouldn't work on a cold boot and the machine would randomly power off sometimes on boot, couldn't see any speed diff from Win XP but it ran well and looked good. IMO Running multiple virtual OS's for day to day use is illogical.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 05:40:11 AM by gertsy »

Offline haywirepc

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2012, 05:53:02 AM »
I suppose at the end of the day its about what gets your work done. I think windows is the most unelegant piece of **** ever made to put on a computer, but the apps to do anthing are there and some don't run in wine.

I reboot occasionally from linux to video edit or do website stuff, because I have to but I'm trying to wean myself off those applications for linux alternatives.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2012, 05:57:13 AM »
I tried Linux, I really did, but I just couldn't get past the horrible, horrible UI in so many different programs. I'm hopeful for Haiku because it seems they really have a focus on usability; in any case, as long as my Windows stuff works in WINE it should be good.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2012, 09:39:58 AM »
I remember Beos and Haiku from many years ago. Be boxes etc etc. One of my old managers loved the thing, had Beos running as a media server at work.

As most things time moves on and Beos was left dead by other os's and hardware. Then I notice everyone going on about it again here so thought hmm will give it another go.

Well all I can say hasn't changed still looks the same ugly. Very buggy still. Anyway first thing I wanted to do was try browsing see if flash and stuff worked but networking was a no go. DHCP, not happening kept crashing. Finally got the static working and I could browse.

Preferences folder had a mind of it's own, one minute there nek minute empty.

So thought I'd check out some apps, same old list and nothing I'd really use everyday. Sure I can browse the net and read email but I can do that already.

One thing that was good as always with Beos is the speed, always liked that.

Anyway those that state or try to relate it to the Amiga I'm not sure how they link up. Doesn't feel like an Amiga to me.

If I looked at it from a corporate/defence force angle (I support PC's/Networks) it's fun to play with but that's about it.

Anyway back to my Amiga for some gaming, tonight some switchblade 2 :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2012, 09:49:17 AM »
Must have been 2001 the word Haiku being thrown around although it was originally openbeos. Time flies :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline kamelito

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2012, 10:50:33 AM »
Well, if you go to the Haiku homepage it's written "Haiku R1 Alpha 3" which is nit even beta, so it can't be already a release candidate which mean a tentative build to aim GM.  Kamel

Offline trekiej

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2012, 06:41:36 PM »
I have an AMD Athlon 500 slot A machine that supprised me when it installed/ran R1A3.
It has an ATI Pro 3D card.
I am thinking of putting it back together tonight.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:42:53 PM by trekiej »
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.