Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: XBox 360 vs. PS3  (Read 3230 times)

Description:

Offline arnljot

Re: XBox 360 vs. PS3
« on: October 17, 2007, 04:10:23 PM »
Who said amigians are anti microsoft fanatics??

All who have spoken so far have spoken mostly in favour of the 360.

First off, I own an PS3.

Then, this is what I've read about the objective merrits of the two:
360: Good memory, DVD only for games. Yes it sports the HD-DVD but it will not now, or ever(?? can't understand why they say this) use HD-DVD for games

PS3: 7 cores, each 3.2 ghz. Good gpu from nvidia. Blueray for games and movies. But only 256 MB ram for the cpu, and 256 mb ram for the gpu.

So always when publishers that use both plaforms speak this is what they repeat. It's getting increasingly difficult to publish games for the 360 as the dual layer DVD gb limit is tight. This is no problem with 25GB and 50GB blyerays, and the future 100GB blue rays.

Memory: This is a dream on the 360, and you rarely get stuttering graphics, popups or tearing. Which you will find now on some games on the PS3 (most noriously the nfl08 or some sports game on ps3).

Even if coders learn how to do propper memory management, it seems to me wierd to think that 256MB RAM (512 total) is kick ass for the next 3-5 years.

For sure the 360 has the greater library of games. Hands down. But surely this will change. With the new low price SKUs Sony can't be far away from critical mass.

So which one do you want?

I can't tell you. But having access to the 360(friend) and the PS3 (mine). To me it came to a choice of gut feeling and lifestyle.

I have Ubuntu feisty fawn installed on it, and I'm trying to get E-UAE in and MythTV. Not because it's usefull - I have my MediaCentre PC that does that. But because it's great fun.

Games wise I love to play Buzz(PS2), Dirt and HEavenly Sword. Also to have Sprint downloaded legally from the PSN store along with Superstadust HD gives me a warm fuzzy feeling too :)

But I was close to buy a 360. Since the previous model got hacked so thourghouly and gave a lot of mame and uae fun for users everywhere.

But I have a PSP, and it interfaces so nicely with my PS3 (I can play my music on my DLink NAS 323 on the airport via the PS3, and see my photos etc).

So ask around. Try them if you can.

PS, 360 has a killer online community. PS3 is promising "Home", but it's delayed...
A posting a day keeps the sanity away...
http://www.arnljot.com