Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: These are NOT Amiga's a fellow vintage computer enthutiast claims...  (Read 4932 times)

Description:

Offline BozzerBigD

Commodore did not design the Amiga they just brought the A1000 prototypes to a stage of being able to be mass produced. The A500 was a product of C='s ability to cost reduce and squeeze a profit margin due to vertical integration. That was their strength. They NEVER successfully upgraded the core Amiga technology in line with Moore's Law or even gave the green light to Ranger with Jay's graphics and graphics memory upgrades. Since there is no road map as to how Amigas SHOULD be upgraded from C= the remaining companies are within their rights to design and develop their vision especially if they are building on AmigaOS (AmigaONE) or the custom chips or 68k CPU (Vampire).

Your friend probably thinks the A500 IS the Amiga and would judge an A4000T or A3000 on how compatible they are with his old A500 games! Are Video Toasters Amigas? Are Phase5 eqipped machines Amigas? Should ALL Amigas be crippled little stock 0.5 MB A500s from the 80s? Is even the Workbench 1.3 upgrade allowed or should you stick with the one C= deemed you should have on purchase?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 05:36:14 PM by BozzerBigD »
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline BozzerBigD

Re: These are NOT Amiga's a fellow vintage computer enthutiast claims...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 11:24:04 PM »
@klx300r

oh almost forgot if you hate Apple you are an Amigan!

How about if you like the Apple Mac but hate what Apple have done to it? i.e. Morphing the MacBook into an iOS laptop and making their 'Pro' line into Starbucks machines for the hipsters rather than power creators / developers!

Hell they've turned openly aggressive towards gamers by binning OpenGL & OpenCL support and by shortly confining 32-bit apps and iDVD to the bin have destroyed their last killer app (I used iDVD with iMovie but I'll use Premiere and Encore now). I don't like Apple, I hate the iPhone but the Mac WAS the best mainstream desktop / laptop left standing.

"Think Different" = "Think about spending more for less from the company that thinks you're lucky to own a piece of their electronic jewellery with 25% less features, ports and air cooling solutions than last year!"
P.S. At least you get 500% more thermal throttling on your CPUs than their nearest competitor!
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios