Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Picasso96Setting file on PiStorm32-Lite  (Read 3970 times)

Description:

Offline bradhansen1Topic starter

• Show only replies by bradhansen1
Picasso96Setting file on PiStorm32-Lite
« on: May 07, 2023, 10:01:55 PM »
Hi All, back again with more pain. I am trying to install Picasso96 on my A1200 running 3.2.1, because Hyperion won't help me download
the 3.2.2 update because I lost my Serial number on my OS3.2 CD! I am running PiStorm32-Lite using my Pi3B+. Everything is great except
that when I try to do a clean install of Picasso96, which I got from Aminet, It will not setup the "Picasso96Stetting file in my DEV directory.
I have no idea why not? And it is like the last step to completing this upgrade.  Could anyone suggest why this is happening?
Would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Brad Hansen

Offline AndyFC

Re: Picasso96Setting file on PiStorm32-Lite
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 11:42:51 PM »
Hi Brad, how did you download 3.2 update 1 (to get to 3.2.1)? Similarly it requires the serial no to download.

Have you run Snoopdos during installation of P96 to see if it logs any errors? Does the P96 install actually error or does it appear to finish successfully?

Have you followed the setup instructions from https://michalsc.github.io/Emu68/tutorials/P96_Setup.html?

I've installed P96 on 3.2.2 and didn't get any errors.
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 10:40:52 PM »
Hey Andy, Thanks so much for taking the time to help me.  About the P96, yes the install finished completely. I will do it
over and run SnoopDos. Been using Amigas since 1988 but never learned hows to use SnoopDos. Have followed the step by 
step instructions from GitHub. Now about the update to 3.2.2. I had someone at Hyperion help me with the download of 3.2.1
and then I spent $35 on a shirt from there store to hopefully put me in their good graces. Now when it came to 3.2.2 I again ask for help and after explaining my use and love for Amigas over the years got this response. "orders@hyperion-entertainment.com., I'll get you a new serial. Use alt mail to create alt Hyperion account." Which I did about a month ago and have sent them 5 emails asking them for the new
serial number. But I have never heard back since then.  You tell me what's up, because I haven't a clue.
Thanks again,
Brad Hansen

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 01:26:31 AM »
Hi, Just noticed as I was Installing a fresh copy of Picasso96, in the setup window it lists the files it is installing
and it says "Settings will not be installed." Why is that happening? Without the settings I can not open the P96 Prefs
and choose the correct board to setup?
Brad Hansen

Offline Thomas

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 12:36:43 PM »

You use Picasso96Mode to create settings, it does not need them to exist.

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 01:40:10 PM »
I've just some tests and renamed my Picasso96settings file in Devs, then re-ran Picasso96mode in the Prefs folder, and it created a brand new settings file, verifying Thomas' comment.

In the P96 installation, which graphics card did you choose to install? Is there a matching file in Devs/monitors? (Third screenshot in the GitHub instructions)

What happens when you try to open Picasso96mode? Any error messages?

Snoopdos is very simple to install and run. In its default setup it displays an output window of file reads and writes, with success and fail next to each, which is very useful to track down files that the OS can't find.

A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 07:01:21 PM »
First, Thanks for all the good advice. It should not matter what graphics mode I choose as long as I edit it to add the VC4 card.
And after I do that and restart and go the the then open Picasso96mode in Prefs it gives the standard message of "No modes found."
Then when I go to create new setting and then got to "attach setting to" the drop down menu says "No board?"
So I don't know how to proceed after that?
Brad Hansen

Offline Thomas

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2023, 10:45:14 AM »

Make sure that the driver is installed correctly. The tutorial linked by AndyFC above lists all the required steps. Because P96 does not support the PiStorm out of the box, some manual actions are required after the installation.

The most important part is the file emu68-vc4.card in Libs:Picasso96. Make sure it is there and not protected against reading.

The second important part is the file in Devs:Monitors. You can name it like you want, but in the tooltypes there must be BOARDTYPE=emu68-vc4. That's the name of the .card file without .card. Make sure it is spelled correctly, that there is only one BOARDTYPE= tooltype and that it does not have brackets around it. Also make sure that there is only one P96 monitor file.

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2023, 10:49:00 PM »
Thomas, thank you, but I have done all that and then did it again and then did it again. I still get the same result.
There is one other thing,i sometimes when I do a fresh install and then go to P96mode in prefs and pull down "Attach to settings"
it lists "Board0: VideoCore." I have searched for this VideoCore driver but it's not there. So where is it looking for it at?
The Libs/Picasso96 folder does not have it and neither does the Main P96 folder and of course it is not in the Devs/Monitors folder.
You tell me and thanks again for taking the time,
Brad Hansen

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2023, 07:23:46 AM »
Try it. A quick Google shows the driver got renamed. What appears in that drop down doesn't have to match a file name.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/back-to-74831555

Sounds like you are nearly there!

One last idea (but never personally experienced) is to make sure an HDMI cable is attached when you turn on. I read somewhere about this being necessary for the HDMI to be activated by Emu68 at boot.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023, 04:29:26 PM »
Andy, Thomas, Success! Hi, I have succeeded in getting an RTG Devs/Monitor working. Andy, followed you link and understood that in Picasso96mode under "Attach Settings," it often showed me "Board0: VideoCore." So I went into Dev/Monitors and
for the RTG monitor I had chosen when I installed Picasso96, I changed that name to "VideoCore." Back to Picasso96Mode
created a new listing choosing "Board0: VideoCore" and I was then able to add RTG modes there. Restart and in Prefs/Screenmodes
I found the new RTG modes I setup. My monitor can switch back and forth from VGA to HDMI. So choosing the RTG mode and
switching to HDMI I was able to open and use those modes. Wonderful stuff, but I encountered a number of issues, a number of my
most used and favorite Programs can only use VGA modes to view them.? When I am running Amibian and running my Pi separately
I have no problem launching any of those programs in RTG mode using utagfx setup of Picasso96. First thanks for all your help,
really great. But any idea why that is?
Brad Hansen

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2023, 07:27:19 AM »
Great news that you have sorted the main RTG issue. The first time I saw my real A1200 output workbench in fullHD was a special moment. I'm impressed by how smooth the UI looks.

For your VGA / HDMI issue, do you mean you are using a scandoubler or something so the Amiga native video is connected to your monitor via VGA? If so I have a similar experience but my screen goes back to the SCART input on my TV.

Can you name a couple of Apps that take you back? Maybe they don't support RTG screen modes, or they open up their own window and the resolution needs to be set separately.

WinUAE is a bit different, and so even though you have Workbench set up with RTG, the different apps may be using different screen modes but the switch between them is so fast, and in the same emulated window as to be practically non existent so you don't see that the output has changed because it's still in the same window, it's just switched between screen modes.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 05:27:21 PM by AndyFC »

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2023, 07:26:19 PM »
Andy, I am using the ScanPlus AGA cards for my VGA. Like wise if I start an app that uses VGA, my screen goes black until
I switch my monitor back to VGA. My goto file manager is DiskMaster 2 and my go to Image manager is ADPro. Neither of
these will open in RTG. Even DOPus 4 freezes most times I open it up. They are working on making this video driver as
compatible as the WinUAE one, no  Any idea how to set these screens to except RTG mode?
Thanks for the support,
Brad Hansen

Offline AndyFC

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2023, 07:19:06 AM »
Thanks Brad, I'm afraid I don't use adPro or DiskMaster2 so can't test them on my setup, maybe someone else can.

Unless a program (whether an application or game etc) opens on a window in Workbench, automatically open in the same resolution as Workbench, or has its own prefs where you can choose the resolution, it will default back to using the native RBG output. It can't be forced to open via RTG. This is a limitation of the program, not of the video driver or PiStorm.

I've seen things on twitter etc about a video passthru from RGB into Pistorm which is in development, but I think this involves hardware too. I'm not sure.

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2023, 11:27:52 PM »
Andy, thanks for taking the time to let me know. I have gone back to just VGA, the AGA chipset is good enough
and I can run everything with no issues. Maybe they can get a pass through working, would be nice, but I'm happy
with what I have.
Brad Hansen