Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why Apple stayed with PPC so long!  (Read 4092 times)

Description:

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
Re: Why Apple stayed with PPC so long!
« on: November 07, 2009, 06:14:03 PM »
Its more than being about a bruised ego. When you are a small company and you need some help from a supplier and they treat you this way, its some indication of the kind of relationship you may have with them going forward. Why would you support any supplier who treated you that way when you really needed the help?

After Apple took off, I don't blame him for saying screw intel now that we're a big player.

Motorola's willingness to work with them as a small startup was rewarded later for sure, thats business. If someone treats you like dirt why would you reward them with multi million dollar purchases later?

I'm no mac fan, but I think both Woz AND Jobs are brilliant. Apple went into the toilet when Jobs left, when he returned they were back with a vengence. Jobs then pushed the phones and other technologies, and returned them to a major player in the industry. Love him or hate him, he did that. His work on Next is more proof of his genius, he left apple and created a whole new platform that was very successful in a short time.

Next would eventually become Apple's new tech. I think it was great Irony that apple came begging Jobs to return and make Nextstation tech the new mac.

On the ego issues he has, I can forgive any man of his obvious business skill and technological brilliance a little ego. I met him a few years ago through a mutual friend, and had dinner with him and my friend.  I found him to be a great guy, yes he did seem to have a bit of an ego, but considering his accomplishments,that is to be expected. I really enjoyed meeting him and hearing some stories about mac and apple first hand. Interestingly, I mentioned my love of the amiga platform, and he told me that he and most at apple envied the custom chips and capability of the early amiga.

Like most believe, he said amiga had a huge advantage early on but did not take full advantage of it. I remember he said they dropped the ball after that advantage began to slip and did not upgrade the chips as fast as they should. He said apple considered Amiga a larger threat to them than ibm/pc's because of the custom chips and the multitasking os.

When I told him I always chose amiga over mac when buying a new computer, he said "I forgive you." Next, he took my business card before dinner was over. The following week I got a package in the mail, it was
a mac powerbook with no note or anything. I remember he kept saying over dinner if I used a mac for awhile I would never want to use another platform. I tried the powerbook for awhile, then gave it away to a friend.

I still prefer amiga. :)

Steven