Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New improved intuition.library version from the Kickstart 3.1  (Read 30743 times)

Description:

Offline kamelito

To me Cosmos wants to help the 3.x community left behind and he is having fun doing so.
He harms no one so why don't you let him alone? I'm sure that you have better things to do.
"Remember when computing was fun?..."

Kamelito

Offline kamelito

Re: New improved intuition.library version from the Kickstart 3.1
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 05:26:44 PM »
HACKER [originally, someone who makes furniture with an axe] n. 1. A person who enjoys learning the details of programming systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary. 2. One who programs enthusiastically, or who enjoys programming rather than just theorizing about programming. 3. A person capable of appreciating hack value (q.v.). 4. A person who is good at programming quickly. Not everything a hacker produces is a hack. 5. An expert at a particular program, or one who frequently does work using it or on it; example: "A SAIL hacker". (Definitions 1 to 5 are correlated, and people who fit them congregate.) 6. A malicious or inquisitive meddler who tries to discover information by poking around. Hence "password hacker", "network hacker".

Offline kamelito

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 12:31:27 PM »
Green Hill compiler is still available for 68k.
http://www.ghs.com/products/68k_development.html

I read somewhere that Atari Mint uses a more recent GCC that is producing better code. Maybe we should port it to Amiga?
Kamelito

Offline kamelito

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 06:22:42 PM »
@Olsen
As they bought it is the owner now being Amiga Inc or Hyperion?
Kamelito

Offline kamelito

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 09:33:09 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;771905
But look, this is exactly the difference between a "coder" and a "software engineer". In essence, the "register-ping-pong" costs pobably like 20-30 cycles per function per call, probably in total around 400 cycles. Consider that in perspective with the amount of cycles you can save by *not* copying a cliprect by an improved algorithm.

I've seen a benchmark of the legacy layers.library vs yours, pretty amazing.
I'm wondering why that library was not optmized like yours back then.
Is all Amiga libraries being profiled and optimized like the layers one?
Is the actual GCC any good at doing optimizations for PowerPC after Apple "departure"?
Kamelito

Offline kamelito

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »
"You can then either use the blitter (if you can), or use the CPU. Since that's the dominant operation, you should invest your time there to get this specific part fast."

I suppose that in some case you could also use the blitter and CPU in parallel I've seen this for example to clear the screen in some demos. (read demoscene).

"If you have to move window on the screen, you have to copy the data - no way around it."

isn't it possible with the copper to have for each window a copperlist (of course you're limited by the copper resolution for the window positionning/width/height depending on the screen mode used) to avoid copying datas but just changing some values in the copperlist of the moved window?

Kamelito

Offline kamelito

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 06:51:17 AM »
Quote from: Terminills;772402
http://www.mirari.fr/ZkeU

The PX60 is the stand alone of this board. :D  Perfect home for Aros 68K if you ask me. ;)

Well why not but can you buy it? for now it seems more vaporware than anything else no?

Kamelito