Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1200+ Project New Motherboard Replacement  (Read 5415 times)

Description:

Offline save2600

• Show all replies
Re: A1200+ Project New Motherboard Replacement
« on: July 25, 2019, 04:10:13 PM »
As always, neat project - but... totally agree with the notion that such projects should, could and need to be released as 'completed' at some point. At the very least, offer them up as full kits where all one has to do is solder everything up - and then you'd have something besides a wall decoration.

The Amiga community is replete with projects. Half finished, partially finished... most of the time, nothing but a bare board. In fact, I've lost count as to how many boards are available for the various models and systems. Lots of them available on eBay, with little to no description as to how to finish. Or with such language as "check the web" for details. So you spend countless hours trying to track down this and that, sometimes/most of the time, as you try to decipher foreign languages.

Only to get so far... when you realize that, duh! Something like an obsolete component or PAL chip (that doesn't really exist or can only be programmed by one guy that may or may not even be alive or offering their services at any given time) is all that's needed to finish whatever.

Can be frustrating!   ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 06:55:14 PM by save2600 »

Offline save2600

• Show all replies
Re: A1200+ Project New Motherboard Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 02:00:56 PM »
I was surprised when I finally landed a Phoenix board (original Australian) and found it did NOT include the necessary circuitry needed to take advantage of some of its best features. In this case, the missing circuitry comes in the form of PAL chips. You need a special PAL chip for multiple Kickstarts. Need a special PAL for the HD circuitry. Probably even for the co-processor socket, etc.

I get needing to populate a board with Agnus, Paula, Denise, Kickstart and CIA's. Hell, maybe even the SCSI controller chip and others which are relatively easy to source, but PAL chips? Seems to be the #1 thing holding up the new Rejuvenator boards also - those dreaded PAL's.  lol
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 02:44:18 PM by save2600 »