Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga.org Forum Restructuring  (Read 17696 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Re: Amiga.org Forum Restructuring
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 01:18:39 PM »
My suggestions:
Merge Amiga Software Issues and discussion
with Amiga UNIX
Could The Hardware Issues and Discussion thread just be Hardware Issues, everything else should be in general chat.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

ChuckT

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 02:44:42 PM »
Quote from: tonyvdb;783032
I agree that many of the images that you see in the gallery are not worth keeping. Maybe when a member becomes inactive for more then 6months the images they uploaded are removed?
Honestly, topic treads that have nothing to do with the Amiga or at least a computer in general should not be posted here or just have a "general off topic tread" and leave it at that.

If my pictures get deleted, I won't upload them again.  People forget what effort was taken in getting them in the first place.  They are a historic value to the community.

Unless you get new hardware to talk about, this forum is not going to grow.

I think the Amiga being emulated on ARM like the Raspberry Pi could be a good thing to grow your forums.  Unfortunately, there hasn't been a lot of interest in the users getting involved in development unless someone does it for them so therefore there is a lack of cooperating with budding developers.  Lack of cooperation means there will be nothing new.

It is a new millennium.  Commodore is not coming back.  Budding developers cannot get the old chips in quantity and the old processes of making some of that stuff may not exist anymore.  I am interested in developing with new hardware from off the shelf products and there isn't an interest.

The Commodore users I knew wrote their own programs and were more of a D.I.Y. community and I don't see it here.  I went out and bought several ARM development boards, a book on ARM architecture, Jtag cables for high voltage programming, a book on ARM assembly language.  I'm ready to buy an ST Link for programming ARM.  I've been researching and surveying different available chips for a couple of years and it really is a hard task because it took companies to make a computer but there is no interest here.

You should really question how long the old Amigas will function before breaking down.  10 years?  My Amiga stopped working after 10 years.  What will you have to talk about then?  If you exist at all, it will be a smaller group or you will be into something different entirely like belonging to a Raspberry Pi forum.

Offline amigakitTopic starter

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 05:07:21 PM »
@ChuckT

Just to clarify: no images are to be deleted.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline motrucker

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 06:00:58 PM »
Quote from: Tenacious;783039
I believe the old images, like the old Amiga, are a big part of the history and flavor of this site!  Please don't throw the baby out with the bath water.  I like the way they randomly appear on the main page, recalling something I may have forgotten.  If they are deleted, new images probably won't re-accumulate with the same speed and variety, our numbers are too low.

I agree with this, completely. But if you all want to read/add to some really off the wall ideas, head over to "http://www.lemonamiga.com/" in their "Chit Chat" forum.  It has everything from electric cars to good 1940's movies. Some of it can be quite interesting. You will find some familiar "faces" too.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline A6000

• Show only replies by A6000
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 06:07:05 PM »
In response to comments here, could it be made easier to upload new high resolution images?

ChuckT

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 09:17:26 PM »
Quote from: A6000;783093
In response to comments here, could it be made easier to upload new high resolution images?

This board required my pictures to be reduced before I could upload them.  My pictures are actually higher resolution than this board allows.

I suppose if Amiga and Amigaworld doesn't want to pay the bandwidth, hosting them on a site like Photobucket or another site may be able to do it if they don't exceed whatever is free bandwidth.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 09:27:56 PM »
97 KB is a challenge sometimes, but if uploading images from a mobile phone it's impossible to reduce them, and many people don't even own pc's anymore or have software to reduce them on their tablets or whatnot...so how are they supposed to upload images?

Also, I think the site logs users out far too quickly. I always find myself having too keep pressing "Preview" every couple of minutes when composing a post just so it doesn't log me out.

Offline carvedeye

• Show only replies by carvedeye
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 09:43:56 PM »
the coffee house section should go :)
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 10:13:18 PM »
If we're putting things on a wishlist, I'd like the homepage to auto-refresh.  Like a scrolling ticker of new posts.  :)

I've never had the logout problem.  FIrefox, Opera, Internet Explorer, multiple versions, multiple computers.  I also run CCleaner on my computer every day to clean it, but I specifically have it set to *not* delete cookies for sites like this.  Huh.  I know lots of other folks have had that problem.  Maybe it's something to do with their ISP?  Don't you guys still filter/block by IP address?  Could be related to that?  No idea.
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2015, 11:48:48 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;783024
We want to open a discussion with the regular members here at Amiga.org regarding which sub-forums you use and value the most and which you feel are maybe under used and are candidates for either deletion or restructuring.

Browsing through all of the sub-forums, many are used daily and have a healthy post count, but there are some notable exceptions that are only active infrequently.

These are your forums, so your feedback is most welcome on this matter.

1 Amiga forum (*all* Amiga flavors of course, including the real 68k one and all "NG" ones)
1 Other Computer Tech forum (for everything else computer related that's not remotely tied to Amiga)
1 General Forum (free for all)

That should pretty much cover it all IMHO. It's not like the traffic on this site is rising anyways, and most people are merely clicking on the posts on the main page, so...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 01:10:40 AM »
Although I *want* there to be an Aladdin4d forum, the problem is when you post a message there it NEVER shows up on the main page where recent messages are shown.

Because of this, anything you post there gets buried in obscurity making it useless to use those forums.

Can this be fixed?  Also the half-dozen Aladdin4d forum categories should probably be folded into a single one as it doesn't generate a lot of traffic.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline giZmo350

• Lifetime Member
  • Gulfport, Miss
    • Show only replies by giZmo350
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 02:00:01 AM »
I agree, It would be great to have the whole Aladdin4D section overhauled. By "un-burying" so to speak may generate some interest in the software too.

I think I'll go dig out my Aladdin4D software right now and install it on my A1200! :) Anyone have any cool renderings they want to share?

It would be nice if this (joke like) Aladdin4D wiki got updated! :hammer:
WTH is DiscreetFX these days anyway?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aladdin4D
A500: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, IndiECS, MiniMegi, IDE4ZorroII on Z-500, KS1.3/KS3.1, WB3.1&BWB

A2000HD: 2MB Chip, 128MB Fast, P5:Blizz 2060@50MHz, PCD-50B/4GBCF, XSurf100, RapidRoad, IndiECS, Matze RTG, MiniMegi, CD-RW, SunRize AD516, WB3.9

A1200: 2MB Chip, 64MB Fast, 4GBCF, GVP Typhoon 030 @40MHz w/FPU, Subway USB, EasyNet Ethernet, Indi AGA MKI, FastATA MK-IV, Internal Slim CD/DVD-RW, WB3.5

Surfing The Web With AMIGA Is Fun Again!

ChuckT

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 02:51:04 AM »
Quote from: paul1981;783110
97 KB is a challenge sometimes, but if uploading images from a mobile phone it's impossible to reduce them, and many people don't even own pc's anymore or have software to reduce them on their tablets or whatnot...so how are they supposed to upload images?

Also, I think the site logs users out far too quickly. I always find myself having too keep pressing "Preview" every couple of minutes when composing a post just so it doesn't log me out.

When you download the pictures to a PC, you can email them to yourself and Outlook Express will often ask to resize the picture.

https://support.office.microsoft.com/en-us/article/Reduce-the-size-of-pictures-and-attachments-89a7ca1a-0f5d-478f-bd69-28089da1e641?CorrelationId=0742954e-3e1c-4f87-84eb-95105db0975c&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Or you can use Paintshop Pro to reduce the pictures

Or you can choose the file size in some cameras before you take the photo.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 02:53:59 AM by ChuckT »

ChuckT

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 02:57:25 AM »
Quote from: carvedeye;783113
the coffee house section should go :)

The coffee house section was abused.  I wanted to talk about electronics, other small computers, etc., because I respected the rules here because it is an Amiga forum while other people wanted to talk about stuff that belongs on other social forums.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 03:29:36 AM »
I'm sure AmigaKit is already regretting posting this thread.  ;)

But while we're on it, I'd like to see a forum for new games being released.  For example, you've got this great new game, very polished, and what does the link say?  "Check it out over on EAB". :(

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68278

Now I'm sure EAB is a swell forum.  I don't have time for more than just this one here, though, so it would be great if there was a place where info on new games was posted, so people could discuss them.  Like, a thread for each new game.  I know this is kind of "still thinking in the 1990's", when new Amiga software was released on a regular basis, but I feel like there's still a lot of new software being released out there that gets absolutely no mention on this entire site.  And that's just a shame.  :(
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline RobertB

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by RobertB
    • http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
« Reply #29 from previous page: February 06, 2015, 04:36:57 AM »
Quote from: ChuckT;783082
The Commodore users I knew wrote their own programs and were more of a D.I.Y. community and I don't see it here.
Heh, I am the ultimate C= end user.  If it's out there for 8-bit Commies, I'll buy it or demonstrate it or find someone who can do it.  I was never a programmer.
You should really question how long the old Amigas will function before breaking down.  10 years?  My Amiga stopped working after 10 years.
Hmm, my A1000's are still going, as are my other Amigas up to the 1200 and 4000.

FCUG celebrating 33 years,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm