Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA Alive ?  (Read 41517 times)

Description:

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
Re: Commodore USA Alive ?
« Reply #59 from previous page: January 16, 2013, 07:30:38 AM »
They have sold 1 c6x in the entire time they have been on amazon, about the same time they announced the Mio.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2013, 05:05:14 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;722693
How long could they realistically leave it before it can't be a tax write-off?

I believe it is 3 years.  I've run a couple of businesses of my own, but I've never made a loss at it.  ;)

OK, quick check of a tax site shows this:

A simple, general rule is that if the business makes a profit in 3 of 5 years there will be a presumption of profit motive. For horse-racing, it is 2 of 7 years. Don't you wonder what lawmaker owned horses?

For a company that does not meet the presumption of profit motive, the IRS takes a closer look.

There are nine factors in determining if a 'business loss' is not a 'hobby loss' and therefore nondeductible:

1.You carry on the activity in a business-like manner
2.The time and effort you put into the activity indicate you intend to make it profitable
3.You depend on income from the activity for your livelihood
4.Your losses are due to circumstances beyond your control (or are normal in the start-up phase of your type of business)
5.You change your methods of operation in an attempt to improve profitability
6.You, or your advisors, have the knowledge needed to carry on the activity as a successful business
7.You were successful in making a profit in similar activities in the past
8.The activity makes a profit in some years and the amount of profit it makes
9.You can expect to make a future profit from the appreciation of the assets used in the activity

So after 3 years the IRS looks at your "business" and judges it against the criteria above:

1.You carry on the activity in a business-like manner
Pffft!  That's certainly debatable, but they're not worse than a lot of other businesses out there and probably better than others.  However, the whole model looks more like a "hobby".

2.The time and effort you put into the activity indicate you intend to make it profitable
Good question.  Is enough time being put in?  Nobody answers their phones, so the answer is probably "No".

3.You depend on income from the activity for your livelihood
That's a "No".  The furniture side must outperform it a million times over.

4.Your losses are due to circumstances beyond your control (or are normal in the start-up phase of your type of business)
So, apart from the inital startup (which has now passed), this means disasters, theft, etc.  Not the inability to run the business due to ignorance or mismanagement.

5.You change your methods of operation in an attempt to improve profitability
The failed idea to rope in "business partners" might fall under this.  The failure to implement it means "no".  Perhaps the "watch this space" announcement might reveal a change in direction!

6.You, or your advisors, have the knowledge needed to carry on the activity as a successful business
The key word here is sucessful and relates to THIS business not any previous ones.  Looks like a "no" to me.

7.You were successful in making a profit in similar activities in the past
Computer manufacturing and computer sales?  That's a "no".

8.The activity makes a profit in some years and the amount of profit it makes
Another "no".

9.You can expect to make a future profit from the appreciation of the assets used in the activity
Unless the C64x becomes a collectors item worth a million dollars each, then those dusty cases on the shelf don't count.  Call this one a "no".

So, I think they have 1 more year and then the IRS is going to start sniffing.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2013, 05:12:57 PM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;722710
Are they really still selling these on Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Commodore-AMIGA-Mio/dp/B0089F36M2/ref=pd_rhf_cr_p_t_3_74QA

LOL.  2 "five star" reviews from 2 of the 10 people who hang out on the C-USA website.  

They state:  "Operating System Linux, Windows 7 Home Premium" in the specs.  I thought it just came with their Linux install.  Is this an attempt to "add value" by misleading people to think it comes with Windows 7, or have they really included it in the price?
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2013, 05:51:37 PM »
@thread

CUSA founder barry altman passed away in late 2012.  the discussion continues here.

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:33:05 PM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2013, 03:58:58 AM »
I would really like one of those C64 cases, were there any left before they shut down and if so will there be an opportunity to buy them?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2013, 04:11:39 AM »
We don't know what is actually going on with them. I was half tempted to sign up to their site and try and find out. But supposedly the Itallian reseller has some stock so maybe try them.

Offline persia

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2013, 01:22:31 AM »
The forums at Commodore.net are gone now.  No product in a almost 3 months.  No word from Big Ben Aussie.  I guess they aren't coming back...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2013, 04:09:03 AM »
Maybe they just got sick of people suggesting kickstarter all the time.....

I don't know if they have gone. Problem is a Web server can always die then come back. Outages are nothing new for their forums.

Offline number6

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2013, 06:08:31 AM »
Quote from: CritAnime;727033
Maybe they just got sick of people suggesting kickstarter all the time.....

I don't know if they have gone. Problem is a Web server can always die then come back. Outages are nothing new for their forums.

Apparently they are being sued by one of their strategic partners.

T G 3 Electronics Inc vs. Commodore USA

Such is the sad history of everything Commodore and Amiga.

Offline Optimus

• Show only replies by Optimus
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2013, 01:40:19 AM »
Quote from: number6;729376
Apparently they are being sued by one of their strategic partners.

T G 3 Electronics Inc vs. Commodore USA

Such is the sad history of everything Commodore and Amiga.

That was their keyboard supplier for the C64x.

Not a good sign, CUSA probably was buying on NET 30 or NET 60 terms, and now there is no one to write them a check.  Something tells me Barry was the sole owner of the LLC and all this probably needs to go through probate and the whole 9 yards.

Most interesting, who is left to defend the Commodore trademark?  Who the heck even owns it?  CUSA didn't, but I'm not sure they were paying royalties until the Asiarim court battle was over- what happened with that?  But Barry could write a cease and desist letter at the drop of hat, based on the presumption of an exclusive license from the winners of the court battle.  And he purposely put in the right to defend the Amiga trademark in his agreement with Bill.

Do we have ourselves the Wild Wild West ?

Offline persia

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2013, 03:11:11 AM »
I'm guessing nobody has been paying AsiaRIM either, so the name deal is likely dead.  How quickly the threads unravel.  It's time to start referring to them as "the company formally known as Commodore USA."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2013, 05:18:48 AM »
Not with a bang but a whimper.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline number6

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2013, 12:58:17 PM »
Quote from: Optimus;729593
That was their keyboard supplier for the C64x.

Not a good sign, CUSA probably was buying on NET 30 or NET 60 terms, and now there is no one to write them a check.  Something tells me Barry was the sole owner of the LLC and all this probably needs to go through probate and the whole 9 yards.

Most interesting, who is left to defend the Commodore trademark?  Who the heck even owns it?  CUSA didn't, but I'm not sure they were paying royalties until the Asiarim court battle was over- what happened with that?  But Barry could write a cease and desist letter at the drop of hat, based on the presumption of an exclusive license from the winners of the court battle.  And he purposely put in the right to defend the Amiga trademark in his agreement with Bill.

Do we have ourselves the Wild Wild West ?

No news from the Netherlands yet, but you can be sure that this will affect the court case there, if only from a motivational standpoint. After all, CUSA was to be Ben Van Wijhe's "way out" of his decade long history of shuffling company names and assets whilst still drawing 246,000 USD salary.

Words posted vs facts? hmmm...most people would tell you that the defense of the Amiga IP fell to Hyperion...not CUSA, despite what was posted. You could say there is enough circumstantial evidence of that on Amigaworld when Hyperion posted about what they considered violations of the settlement agreement.

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2013, 06:37:01 PM »
Looks like the site is now 404.

Offline persia

« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2013, 12:57:40 AM »
So we won't see the SAGE 64X?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline number6

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2014, 05:04:04 AM »
Quote from: CritAnime;732160
Looks like the site is now 404.

The link has returned.

Commodoreusa.net