Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NETbsd on Amiga  (Read 17693 times)

Description:

Offline Rodomoc

• Show all replies
Re: NETbsd on Amiga
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:41:45 PM »
This NetBSD is interesting for me.

I think I have a machine that will run it. A3000 w/ A3640 (68040-25), GVP Spectrum Video, XSurf Ethernet. I am limited to the original 2/16MB Ram however. I am assuming that my FastATA card is not supported which means I will have to revert back to onboard SCSI. This is fine from a hard drive standpoint because A3000 native SCSI works real good in my opinion. Getting a CD running off this will be a challenge for me. I wonder if the SCSI CD drives sitting in my older powermac 7200-7600's would work?

Anway, I am interested in this for the sole reason that the Amiga version of NetBSD is up to date and fundamentally on par with other hardware ports. I have attempted Debian Linux on this machine and couldn't make it go. Maybe NetBSD will be a better experience.

Has anyone tried the Amiga specific binaries I saw in NetBSD FTP site? It looked like there were a few useful things in there. I am thinking that this should run well from a command line. I am not sure from X11 standpoint. Has anyone been able to run this? and what are your impressions?

Offline Rodomoc

• Show all replies
Re: NETbsd on Amiga
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 06:10:45 PM »
strim - thanks for the post. I was actually thinking of getting a Zoram board for this machine of mine anyway. I wonder if the NetBSD would pick up on the Zoram?

This is sort of a pure fun thing for me and to get familiar with Unix. I also want to learn how the NetBSD kernel gets along with the Amiga hardware. This is intriguing to me in a variety of ways, especially when staying with Amiga's native hardware features.