Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Completely off topic...but is Windows XP dead?  (Read 7410 times)

Description:

Offline SilvrDrgn

• Show all replies
    • http://mikerye.homeip.net
Re: Completely off topic...but is Windows XP dead?
« on: January 27, 2013, 02:49:26 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;723975
This is after all YOUR PRODUCT!! THIS IS AFTER ALL YOUR ITEM!!

Uummm, no. Developing the products that Microsoft does requires millions/billions of dollars.  Do you really think you are buying the product for $200 if they've spent billions to create it?!?! You're not buying the product. If you were, you would never be getting any future updates. It would be stuck in its current state at the time you bought it. Think about buying a car. Same thing. Well, maybe that's not a good example since car companies spend billions to develop vehicles.  Anyway, in the case of software, you're not buying the product. You are buying a _license_ to use the product. As such, they are free to change the product to suit new needs. That's how the majority of software in existence works.

Back on the real topic, I still use Windows XP for most of my VM's (virtual machines) on my home media server.  Great to test out new and/or downloaded software that way without worry of infecting the real, physical machine. Also run my web server (non-Windows) in a VM. Set its imported share to read-only so if the web server gets hacked, the contents cannot be trashed.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 02:58:05 PM by SilvrDrgn »
Michael