Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The absolute worst commercial game for Amiga?  (Read 7849 times)

Description:

Offline OldB0y

• Show all replies
Re: The absolute worst commercial game for Amiga?
« on: September 17, 2011, 08:33:53 AM »
Quote from: smerf;659671
Hi,

It is actually easier to do the best game threads, since there was so many rotten games brought out for the Amiga.

To me Electronic Arts games where the worst, you had to look at the time they were made, so you could determine which Amiga they ran on. Due to Electronic Arts copy protection every time they came out with a new Amiga system, the old games wouldn't play on it, you had to wait for the new games to come out. So to keep up with the new games you had to buy a new system, if you played Electronic Arts games.

smerf

Your kidding right? EA were responsible for publishing a lot of great Amiga games, some of which had no copy protection at all!  I know EA got a bad rep particularly in the PS2 Era, but in the Amiga days most of their stuff was pretty good. Even their console conversions like Desert Strike and Road Rash were good, when a lot of other developers/publishers did some really shoddy ports to the Amiga.  

Anyway, back with the plot, Im picking the all time classic worst Amiga game - 'Rise of the Robots' - utter ****e, even the ports of Strider and Outrun weren't this bad!
Amigas owned:
1) A1200 Power Tower, Blizzard PPC 603+040 128Mb, BVision
2) A1200 Desktop with an ugly looking hole hacked out of the trap door cover to accommodate a DCE built Blizzard 1260 with 64Mb (angled SIMM slot).
not in use:
3) A4000/040 - has an Emplant card installed.  Sadly no video output:-( current location: loft
4) A1000 - owned it since about 1988, current location: loft (AFAIK it still works though)
Sundry bits:
Blizzard 12

Offline OldB0y

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 10:08:51 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;659686
This isn't right.. it took over a page of comments before someone mentions "Rise of the Robots"....

... and still nobody until me mentions that game "Akira".

How quickly we forget.

(and how Electronic Arts games - which includes Populous, Populous II and Powermonger - can be mentioned in a worst games thread I don't know)

Proud to say, I never even wasted a blank disk on Akira, I have never played it! (I did waste a few blanks on Rise of the Robots though... Still at least I was able to re-use them)  

As for EA, most of the Amiga games I actually bought back in the day were by them, for the simple reason they actually weren't dross.  Where a lot of firms early on in the Amiga's life pushed lame ST ports, EA actually took advantage of the Amiga's superior ability.  Later in the Amigas life, EA tried to ensure that the Amiga versions were at least as playable and on a par with the Console/PC versions, if not better.  As far as I recall they were about the only multi-platform software house to do so!

Squeezing Syndicate onto the A500, and making it almost identical to the PC version, was some achievement!
Amigas owned:
2) A1200 Desktop with an ugly looking hole hacked out of the trap door cover to accommodate a DCE built Blizzard 1260 with 64Mb (angled SIMM slot).
not in use:
3) A4000/040 - has an Emplant card installed.  Sadly no video output:-( current location: loft
4) A1000 - owned it since about 1988, current location: loft (AFAIK it still works though)
Sundry bits:
Blizzard 12

Offline OldB0y

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 11:56:10 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;659692
Rise of the Robots = crap game design so not conversion teams fault.
Outrun = crap programming for conversion (Amiga game should have looked like the Megadrive/Genesis version....Lotus II is proof)

PS Syndicate was coded for Amiga first?

Erm the original topic is 'absolute worst commercial game for Amiga' - In my opinion, Rise of the Robots fits this description - even if it was a pixel perfect port from another platform - i.e.. its still s**t

Amiga Outrun, although not great is still better than Rise of the Robots, at least its reasonably playable. I'm pretty sure it also came out before the Megadrive version.  Also, there are far worse Sega coin-op conversions for the Amiga than this.

Syndicate was coded on the PC first, according to the manual. Theres a quote from one of the programmers, Mark Webley "The biggest problem converting Syndicate to the Amiga was the amount of memory available"
Amigas owned:
not in use:
Sundry bits:
Blizzard 12