Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WTB: A4000T ribbon cables for MB to ports PCB connection  (Read 1056 times)

Description:

WTB: A4000T ribbon cables for MB to ports PCB connection
« on: May 29, 2008, 06:46:08 AM »
I need a paired set of the ribbon cables that are used in the A4000T to connect the ports PCB to the motherboard. I just finished going through the entire list of amiga shops that the eab lists on its wiki, with no luck, and figured I'd ask here before I start emailing all of them!

If anyone has a set of these cables or knows where I can buy a set, please let me know; they are all that is standing between me and a working system.  :boohoo:

Offline PaSha

• Show only replies by PaSha
Re: WTB: A4000T ribbon cables for MB to ports PCB connection
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 08:11:09 AM »
IDE cables, perhaps?
The two connectors are 40 pins,
http://bboah.amiga-resistance.info/download_photos/a4000tiomodule_2.jpg

So a standard IDE cable should work just fine. Just try to get ones without a plugged pin in the middle.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
I don't know about an ide cable working... they have two connectors on the device end (or at least, all the ones I've seen do). I need to be really sure before I plug this in, the I/O PCBs are impossible to find, and experimentation does not seem like the greatest idea to me. I'm searching for pinouts, but info on the 4000T is scarce at best compared to other Amiga models.

Offline dannyp1

• Show only replies by dannyp1
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 05:04:37 PM »
There are lots of IDE cables available with only one connector on each end.  It is very standard.  Any shop should have them and there are many on EBay.

Offline PaSha

• Show only replies by PaSha
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 10:52:19 PM »
Scissors, perhaps? Just cut the last connector off.

The original cables are straight through. With the A4000T Commodore actually used several off-the-shelf parts, such as a standard AT pc case, the motherboard was standard AT pc size, and those 40-pin connectors were chosen because they are standard stuff.

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 01:21:31 AM »
@PaSha: Cool. The guy I bought the boards from is looking for the cables; if I can get the originals from him great, if not, I will have an alternative. Can you tell me which connectors on the mainboard go to which on the ports PCB? (There appear to be three of the right type on the motherboard, two labelled short (cn550) and long (cn560) by the keyboard plug, and then there's another one by the roms, labelled cn560 as well.)

Offline Kin-Hell

• Show only replies by Kin-Hell
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 10:54:11 AM »
You can use 40-way IDE Ribbon cables, but you need to be sure the IDC Headers on the Ribbon have full 40 pin connectivity.
CN160 on the I/O Card goes to LONG Header on the Mobo & CN150 on the I/O card goes to SHORT Header on the Mobo.
Also be sure to align Pin 1 on Mobo port to Pin 1 on the I/O Header port. ;-)

Best Wishes,

Kin  
Getting 0lder is Mandatory..... Growing up is an option.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 08:58:15 PM »
Thanks, Kin, and all who responded! I'm looking forward to getting this thing up and running.... I'll try to put up pics of the project as it progresses. There seems to be little info online about the 4000T.

Offline Kin-Hell

• Show only replies by Kin-Hell
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 01:16:05 AM »
If I can help in any way m8y, It`d be a pleasure!  :-)
Getting 0lder is Mandatory..... Growing up is an option.