Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: mac mini g4 dvi  (Read 8355 times)

Description:

Offline kickstartTopic starter

• Show only replies by kickstart
Re: mac mini g4 dvi
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 10, 2011, 06:11:59 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;663059
I use a Dell 2209WA connected digitally to may Mac mini G4, cable is the included DVI-I duallink cable of that monitor.

A dvi-i dual link cant plug physically into my dvi-d monitor, my test are with a normal dvi-d cable.
a1200 060

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 10:42:28 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;663130
A dvi-i dual link cant plug physically into my dvi-d monitor, my test are with a normal dvi-d cable.

Just checked the cable again. On my mini + Dell tft it's indeed
 a DVI-D single link cable and not an DVI-I dual link cable as I falsely remembered. Works nevertheless w/o any hassle.

Offline kickstartTopic starter

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 12:26:27 AM »
Thanks zylysea...

Looking for google is easy to find many problem with mac minis ppc related to dvi... a pitty... ill try with a dvi to hdmi, just for try.
a1200 060

Offline mindprober

• Show only replies by mindprober
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 02:13:55 PM »
I too have a problem with the DVI output from my Mac mini G4. I have the 1.42GHz 32MB VRAM model.

What I have discovered so far is that is seems to have a problem with 1920x1080p displays. I used to have a 37" LCD HDTV that it never worked with. I only ever tried straight DVI-D with it, even though the TV also accepted VGA with an adapter.

Fast forward to today and I have another 1080p monitor I am trying to get it to work with. This time an HP E27i. The monitor has VGA, DVI and DisplayPort inputs. I plugged the mini into the DVI and I get no display. It *does*work with the VGA adapter on the mini. There are a couple of problems with this, however: 1) VGA output is dimmer from the mini G4 (a known problem I believe) and 2) The HP E27i seems to have trouble sensing a signal from the VGA input. I think the monitor is faulty in this regard. I can get the image to display if I hit a button on the monitor. This is not ideal of course.

The really funny thing? The mini works fine over DVI with two other monitors I have. They are both 1900 x 1200 displays.  Does the mini not like 1900 x 1080 over DVI? Maybe I will try reducing the resolution and see if that makes a difference.