Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Video Toaster 4000 ?  (Read 955 times)

Description:

Offline JeffTopic starter

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
Video Toaster 4000 ?
« on: January 15, 2004, 04:07:33 AM »
I am just recently back to the Amiga after some years away.  Fortunately I still have my collection including an A4000D 060 PIV, several 2000's, my trusty old A3000T 040, and lots of other Amiga odd's and ends :-).

I keep seeing Toaster 4000 cards on eBay for about $100.00.  Is there a point in buying one these days?  How about re-registering the card with Newtek and trying to locate software for it?  Most of these cards are sold bare.

I am also aware I would need a TBC to use any of my old analog equipment with it, but I could use a TBC anyway.  I still have some old high end SVHS, Beta, and Hi8 decks also.

Perhaps I should just stick with the PC and my firewire ADVC-100?  I really don't know how the Amiga Toaster stacks up these days, or what I would do with it.  I just know I always wanted one when they were $2000.00 and couldn't afford it.  Perhaps now I could.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeff
 :-?

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
Re: Video Toaster 4000 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 05:40:05 AM »
Well... they're 24bit video cards, that plug into an Amiga's video slot, they do effects, and linear video editing. I think they can do non linear editing to with the right stuff, like mebbe a big harddrive, or flyer card. Lightwave supports it well I'd assume. They do titles and stuff rather well yet, but aren't really amazing anymore. I will say there's probably a reason those cards sell for 100+ dollars while otherwise complete 2000 systems will sell for less than that.
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo