Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Questions for "amiga only" users.  (Read 1579 times)

Description:

Offline DesolatorTopic starter

• Show only replies by Desolator
Questions for "amiga only" users.
« on: November 15, 2003, 01:30:00 PM »
Yup, this is for the ones that _only_ uses Amigas at home. i.e no friggin' PC's to be seen.  :-D

What do you use them for? :)
Do you find that you can do all the work you deem necessary on it with the software that are available for the Amiga?

I would run Amigas only if it weren't for the fact that I'm more or less a gaming addict.. so it's necessary for me to have a PC to play games on..

I believe Lempkee will answer this because I know he runs only Amigas. *impressed*   :-D
// Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.
// Ph.D in Amiga future optimism.

Offline Ryu

• Show only replies by Ryu
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com
Re: Questions for "amiga only" users.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 01:38:07 PM »
I use my amiga for 99.9% of the computing tasks I do. I own a windows PC, a P120 with 32mb of ram which gets booted up about once every few months when I need to goto a website that Ibrowse cant load... other than that all the work I need to do gets done on the amiga. I find working with the amiga a lot more enjoyable and a lot less stressfull than it is working on a PC. Having said that I did have to borrow a high spec PC not too long ago when I was makeing the benelux Amiga show video.... I wanted to do it on the amiga but I just dont have the hardware for it.....

What I do with my amiga... well prety much all net stuff gets done on my amiga, I bodge together websites in my spare time, I wordproccess, I do image manipulation... you name it I can probably do it in a fasion on my amiga :-)
Yours
Darren aka Ryu
-----------------------------
www.IntuitionBase.com
My Amiga 1200 webserver

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2003, 02:57:35 PM »
desolator: yes i am 100% , and yes i dont have any special needs for stuff which amiga doesnt have , though i do want an Amiga browser capable of dooing flash etc.

and ofcourse i miss Unreal tournament (played that alot in the past) , other than that i really miss an LW update, but i manage anyway.

i am a gamer myself , i simply love good games so for thoose needs i have my amiga , cd32-sx1,saturn , Dreamcast , psx and a ps2.

but like my gf we allways return to the amiga or the cd32 when we want to play an addictive game, though psx have quite alot of good games but they are either too easy or too hard.. or just plain boring... heh:)

i must also add that the devtools atm on amiga is quite thin, but that will change soon.
(so basically i stick to devpak and gcc (not storm).

but i dont need to have a pc , absolutely no reason at all.

examples of what i use on my amiga :
Netbank , dv video footage , usbcam , usb printer / scanner , broadband (adsl) , 10/100mbit network etc.

and ofcourse GAMES! :)

above all of this i really dont see why people hype the pc up to be something, sure its got sw and hw but try looking deeper into it, but then again if amiga ever  go mainstream again then we might have the same problem, ie games that simply doesnt offer what they should , 1 out of 100 games a year is a classic one, heaps of errors and problems etc and most of all a dayly update. :)

as for programs on pc (mind you all, i was an It Admin for 3 years) they are surely great but it should be organized in a better way, take a look at theese so called hits on pc, they are bloated from A to Z , heaps of functions no one would ever use and manuals (you know what that is right?) that you need to study at school or something to understand etc.

i sent 300 jpegs to a well educated pc friend and he wanted to convert them to gif or png, he used like for ever to find a sw and in the long run the sw was simply rubbish and horrible to use so he gave up on it.

i converted the pics for him in less than 3 mouse clicks with an anchient amiga tool i had never used before.

oh and above all i never went to pc because it simply wasnt cool:) ..

keep on rocking guys!

cheers

pps:i know about 100 more who is amigaonly.

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline frakswe

• Show only replies by frakswe
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 03:08:18 PM »
Well i sold my pc,since i didnt need it anymore.
Last game i played on pc was Syberia, and since
then ive only seen one game i wanted play,Black Mirror.
But even that game doesnt warrant me to actually go pc
again.For me there is heaps of games on amiga i still
havent played...its a goldmine really.

ok got that out of the way :)

what do i do with my amiga then?

browsing (dunno why ppl complain about ib,it roxx)
emailing (yam blows that crappy outlock away)
playing mp3s,mods etc
watching mpg's, wmv's,divx's etc (amp&frogger roolz)
doing c/c++ (learning)
painting (perfect paint owns)
and ofcoz as i already said..still finding good games.

ok there it is....so pc? no thanks

Offline Im>bE

• Show only replies by Im>bE
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalChaosTheGame
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 04:26:01 PM »
>What do you use them for? :)

-Answer lame forum threads on the net. :)
-Old classic games with whdload (superb 'emulator')
-Irc (amirc is cooler than any irc client ive ever seen)
-Net (Ibrowse 2.3 is 15 times more userfriendly than any piss netbrowser)
-Programming (Amiblitz2 rock my world)
-Drawing (Personal paint, imagefx4, cinema4D)
-Music (dt2, ep2, playsid, hippo, protracker4)
-Sound (sampleE is kewl)
-Email (yam2.0)
-Newer games (Total Chaos, Payback, XF2)
-Once in a while I might play C64 games with the awesome magic64 emulator.
-Once in a year I might play spectrum games with various spectrum emulators.
-My own games. (Watchnplay, Droidwars, 2Decide, and more)
-look at various multimedia stuff, (pictures, movies, etc) and arrange files, and (de)pack all kinds of archives easily, in my customized 'guiforCLItool' handling kewl Dirwork2.
-lots of other things I will remember after posting. Like so populary said: "everything"

>Do you find that you can do all the work you deem necessary on it with the software that are available for the Amiga?

Absolutely.

using amiga or piss is a matter of choice,
Unless you just -have- to play that Whinedows/Java/Flash game (on pc),
or -have- to play the classic amiga games without bugs. (on an amiga with or without whdload)

Now ive wasted enough time on this thread.
Time to continue enjoying my A1260T.

Hopelessly addicted to the world\'s best strategy game.
Total Chaos on YouTube

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 04:32:41 PM »
Aside from my "vintage computer" collection (C64s etc.), I've been Amiga only for years. My main computer is my Amiga 4000, which gets heavy daily use.

I have an AmigaOne, but the only duties it has taken over from the A4000 is browsing the few sites that don't work in IBrowse (almost none of the ones I visit from home), file sharing, MP3 and movie file playing. Once OS4 is on there, it will become my main machine.

The A4000 is in a power tower with Mediator 4000, Cyberstorm MkIII 060, Voodoo 3, Repulse and a load of other cards.

I use my A4000 for programming (in C, E, ARexx and assembler mostly), cross development (Atari 7800, Gameboy), audio stuff (SoundFX, AHX, Protracker, OSS), graphics (Photogenics, Perfect Pant, Personal Paint, TV Paint), web development, web browsing, IRC, E-Mail, instant messaging, old WHDLoaded games, watching TV (it has a WinTV card). I enjoy using it very much, and never feel like I'm missing out.

I don't need a PC. If I want to play games, I use my Gamecube (on the workbench screen ;).
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline Wol

• Show only replies by Wol
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 05:17:34 PM »
@ Desolator

100% Amiga for everything man..

even A1200/60 in car as MP3 player.
Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

--- Cree Indian prophecy ---

Offline Gav

• Show only replies by Gav
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2003, 05:17:36 PM »
I also dont own a pc and dont feel like i really need one either...I use my amiga for the net,mp3s,watching vids with moovid or frogger tho less with frogger as it crashes so much for me..
Really i aian even used a pc hardly l at all only my last few years of school when i was 14 as i stopped going after that...So i got a sega dreamcast in 2000 and used that for the net to buy amiga hw...Since then i have upgraded it but now i need to get turbo print for my epson and some scsi stuff for my scanner..Id love usb but oh well this elbox situation stinks :(
For games,i have a ps2,gamecube,dreamcast,sega nomad.N64,saturn,megadrive 1&2 with mega cd 1,super nintendo,gameboy advance and way to many old ps1 games...Yeah no need for a pc :)
A1200,BPPC603e+@240mhz-060@50mhz/Scsi2 192mb,Powerflyer,Mediator SX,Voodoo 3000,SB128,Tv card,SD/FF,Ethernet,CDRW.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2003, 05:30:33 PM »
I did manage to get to the year 2000 before I hit the Amiga Wall (as I call it), where I needed more power than my PPC 240Mhz would give me and I needed to use software that simply was not available for the Amiga.

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2003, 05:42:57 PM »
My Amiga isn't that upgrated but I am still Amiga only. The current config I am using is A4000D/040 with 16MB fast RAM, old Philips monitor, 56Kbps serial modem and external disk drive. But for my daily use its ok. I do Internet - www, E-mail, IRC, FTP, news and I develop with VBCC for fun. For gaming - all the WHDLoad games + some other installs and some emulators are enough for my needs (AmiMasterGear, AmiGameBoy, MagiC64, Apple 2000e, AmOric, AmiMSX and fMSX). Some other utilities I use are Maxiplan,Personal Paint and EditPad. I watch old demos (1989-1998) when I have time and I did my website on Amiga. Also I developed some games for Oric, Sinclair and Apple 2 and all this on the Amiga. That's it.

Don't laught at my config.

Offline Gerbinist

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2003, 06:25:01 PM »
Amiga Only here too...

So... uhm... does "everything" count as an answer too? :-D
Current: OS 3.1.4, Blizzard 1260/50, 64 MB, AGA, CF, Ryś MKII, PCMCIA/CNET
Storage: Elbox E/BOX 1200, SCSI Kit IV, Mediator SX, Voodoo3/4/5, RTL8139 Ethernet, Spider USB 2.0, PixelView PlayTV MPEG2, Terratec 512i, MAS MP3 Player

Offline voxel

• Show only replies by voxel
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2003, 07:49:18 PM »
Well :-)

As my sig says : AmigaONLY since 1985 here :-D

I use it for everything I need : Internet, Publishing (PAO), scanning, retouching photographs, e-mail, video titling, programming (slowly as I'm still learning how to ;-)  ), all kind of printing jobs, playing SlamTilt and the other great 21th century's pinballs, web design, music playing, CD burning, 3D graphics, and many many many more I forget :-D

I will never use a PeeCee here, why take a donkey when you can have an Amiga?

BTW, I will buy an AmigaONE with AmigaOS4 as soon as possible to complete my setups ;-)

Amigalement,
Jean-François, Amiga ONLY since 1985.
Amigalement,
Jean-François Bachelet, Amiga nuts since 1985.
-------------------------------------------------
Welcome to Happy Computing : Amiga! (© 2K4-2K8 voxel)

Offline MAD

• Show only replies by MAD
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2003, 09:38:54 PM »
Hoya!

@WOL

You got an Ammy in your car as an MP3 player???!!!!
Wow!

As for the big question: I use my Amiga for everything just because Amiga rules and, see my sig! ;-P

Be funky

M A D
:afro: AMIGA :afro:
- The Computer With A Soul-

Offline elendil

• Show only replies by elendil
    • http://www.idiot.fnuck.dk
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2003, 09:43:18 PM »
I know this is for amiga-only users only, but since bloodline was able to butt in, I'll do that as well :)

I quit using my amiga as my main and only computer when I got hold of a laptop in 2001, I think. Since then I have to admit the amiga has been neglected.

I have waited for an amiga laptop since then and still am. Hopefully not for too long :)

Sincerely,

-Kenneth Straarup.