Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My Project  (Read 869 times)

Description:

Offline irishmikeTopic starter

• Show only replies by irishmike
    • http://www.jmikeneedham.net
My Project
« on: February 18, 2006, 06:02:48 AM »
This project doesn't really fit anywhere else on this board.

I am looking to run a BBS for nostalgia (museum idea) and wanted to run one on both a PC and an Amiga to kind of have an educational angle for those that did not grow up in the culture I did (pre-Internet-popularity).  It used to be that we communicated (even across country -- not worldwide) via our two Bulletin Board Systems.  Myself and my co-sysop Randy ran our two BBS' using Andrew Milner's Remote Access 2.01 here in the Kansas City Metro Area.  (For those who care, the boards were "Into the Night" and "The Electronic Oblivion").

Anyhow, I am going to need to find Amiga OS based BBS software and we can't seem to find what was the software used on this platform.  This is going to be important to the project which is dubbed "The BBS Preservation Society of KC"...

I am not unappreciative of the Internet, understand, or the BBS replacements like this forum ;-).   However, I find myself wondering "what if the Internet was ever shut down?  Or worse, owned by MicroSoft?"  I think the BBS would be the way we'd communicate in that case.

Really no point here, just an old SysOp that is a computer professional looking to somehow maintain that hobby that puts a smile on my face :-)

Anyhow:  A point!  If you know the name of the BBS software used on the Amiga and more importantly, have a way for us to get a hold of it!  Please let me know.  Otherwise, please feel free to tell me about your BBS days.  If you have to ask what a BBS is, then your childhood included the Internet :-)

\\"When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.\\"
- Marquis de la Grange

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
Re: My Project
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 06:09:56 AM »
There are several on the Aminet.  Did you look there?

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
Re: My Project
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 06:29:30 AM »
BaudBandit (Grammas BBS) by Richard Lee Stockton was a really nice Amiga BBS that ran on top of the BaudBandit terminal program. It was written by Richard and ran from his home down the street from me for many years. You can find it here.

http://software.bbsdocumentary.com/COMMODORE/AMIGA/BAUDBANDIT/

I still have the dead A2000 that it ran on in my basement:-D. You will require the BaudBandit program also to run it as I recall. I spent many hours there.

Jeff