Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: News from Amiwest?  (Read 1945 times)

Description:

News from Amiwest?
« on: July 25, 2005, 01:31:35 PM »
Hi guys,

Has any news come out of Amiwest aside from the broadcast?  I was hoping the cut to a one-day "garage sale" type event wouldn't have dampened any news coming out of it.

Were anyone from Amiga Inc, Hyperion, or Genesi in attendance this year?  Was anything actually said about anything?  Scuttlebutt had it that there was supposed to be some big announcement, but haven't heard a single word about anything coming out of Amiwest (even pictures!) since Saturday.  That's unusually odd and totally unheard of unless -- as a friend (who was there) told me that there were "only 10 people" who showed up.

Looking for news.

Wayne

Re: News from Amiwest?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 01:54:34 PM »
:bump:

Offline graffias79

• Show only replies by graffias79
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 02:56:42 PM »
A friend of mine attened the show with his roomate, and he called me Saturday.  He told me there were some nice cases on display, and that attendance wasn't too bad.  He didn't have many details yet as it was still early there when he called.  I haven't heard from him yet since then, though.

-Jamie

Offline Chain

• Show only replies by Chain
    • http://chain.3dgrafika.cz/aktivity
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 05:09:35 PM »
i was watching via webcam ie. Drummond speaks well, and there  was a big banquet :)))
too lazy to use shift key properly...

Offline DoodooHead

• Show only replies by DoodooHead
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 06:26:42 PM »
Was anything actually said about anything?

I was there.  Richard Drummond was representing Hyperion.  He demonstrated OS4's USB joystick support, Candy Factory 2, E-UAE on OS4, and IBrowse 2.4.  He spoke at the banquet. He said that the OS will be finished this year.  He had no info on hardware.  There were 50 people at the banquet.  I didn't count the attendance at the show itself.

Offline Acill

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 07:01:37 PM »
I was all set to go and be there for the Pegasos and MorphOS this year before they cut it down to just one day. I couldnt see the point in driving the 10 hours to be there for the day. After last year and not getting a chance to show anything other then to people comming up to us I also dont think I will go as a vendor again. They charged us full price and put us in the back and never gave us any show time to do a demo. Amiwest has become quite a sad event now I think.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 07:38:56 PM »
Sounds like another Amiga tradition withering away on the vine.  Probably the best solution will be doing it all virtually so more folks will be there that normally couldn't do to expensive travel.

Dammy

Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Chain

• Show only replies by Chain
    • http://chain.3dgrafika.cz/aktivity
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 07:47:22 PM »
webcam streaming has really good quality 320x240 117kbps :) a lot of fun sometimes :) (RAFFLE TIMEEE! :)))

44 people was watching over net.
too lazy to use shift key properly...

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 03:00:26 AM »
It's true that there wasn't much in the way of official news, but having spoken to Richard Drummond and Steven Solie, it seems that exciting things are afoot :-)
They say that there's a *lot* more happening behind the scenes.

I also had a chance to play with the 2.4 demo of IBrowse. It ain't fantastic, but it's a big improvement. Among the things that I remember:
-Yahoo mail and Netzero mail web interfaces are now working properly, though Yahoo still looks kinda bad.
-Ebay no longer hangs/crashes due to Javascript.
-The pointer now changes to a hand when on top of a link
-The scripted banner ads of some sites (theonion.com) no longer appear in duplicate.
-Ironically, the Flash plugin crashed the system numerous times when viewing the page featured in the released official screenshot (bocaburger.com). Another Flash site did work, though. (Steven Solie attributed the crash to illegal addressing of video memory and could tell just by looking at the screen. Needless to say, I was impressed.)
-The settings window has been tweaked, and is now more user-friendly (things are more likely to be where you'd expect them)
-There's now a Spoof As quick setting under the Preferences menu. Options include IE 5 and 6, and various versions of Netscape, and Mozilla.
-It was difficult to guage the speed of the demo, since there was no keyfile included and it was thus limited to 2 network connections and no additional window tabs. Seemed pretty zippy and very usable, though.

Hopefully some of this secret stuff will be made public soon.