Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Do Amiga browsers support....?  (Read 1562 times)

Description:

Do Amiga browsers support....?
« on: November 10, 2004, 04:11:10 PM »
Do Amiga browsers support any type of drop-down menu system, like Javascript menus or anything?

Wayne

Offline Castellen

Re: Do Amiga browsers support....?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 06:13:30 PM »
The Javascript drop down menus generally don't seem to work in Voyager 3.3.26 or IBrowse 2.3.  Not sure about the latest AWeb, but probably not.

For example, in this website: http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/

I think it has those pull down menus just above where the products are, but here in IB 2.3 it's just a big grey box.

Fortunately most well designed websites have alternative navigation methods like this sites does, the Javascript menu is completely optional.

Lots of basic Javascript things do work with IB2.3, such as mouse hover over image brings up alternate image, etc.

Offline Castellen

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 06:24:28 PM »
Sorry, I didn't really answer your question!  :-)

The cycle bars which when you select an item, it immediately goes to the new page, do work.

By standard they seem to work where one click = do 1 cycle.
So you probably need to change MUI settings so the entire selection pops up and you can select whatever.

Though it's more of a selection tool than a menu.

For example in this site:
http://www.nzski.com/mthutt/report_snowcam.jsp

In the "previous images" selection box, clicking once on the cycle/scroll gadget once makes it cycle backwards one entry at a time and immediately load the new image.
Clicking and holding the name on the box makes the entire list open up so you can select anything in the list, and the new image is immediately loaded.
This is with IB2.3, but from memory V 3.3.26 worked the same.

Hope that helps.

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 07:15:56 PM »
HUM,
The drop down menus, for ppl profiles etc, that were on this site before, didn't work with ibrowse.

An the mozilla rendition was slightly ugly, though it worked

Offline mcostanza

• Show only replies by mcostanza
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 02:32:00 PM »
I have to ask. With Mozilla source available for the Linux Open Source crowd, why did people try and reinvent the wheel and develop their own browser?

I would assume that an Amiga implementation of the Mozilla browser would be a much better long term strategy than using Aweb, Ibrowse or the other idependent browser implementations for the Amiga.

Anyone know why an Amiga version of the Mozilla open source browser has never been implemented?

Regards,
Matt Costanza
Round Rock, Tx
USA

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 03:34:16 PM »
Wayne wrote:
Do Amiga browsers support any type of drop-down menu system, like Javascript menus or anything?

I would say not. Almost definitely not. As soon as a site implements JS drop down menus as the only way of getting around, usually it marks the end of being able to browse it on an Amiga.

(Edit: I could be wrong, but I've never seen it work, and I use Amiga browsers every day.)

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 07:24:45 PM »

mcostanza wrote:
I have to ask. With Mozilla source available for the Linux Open Source crowd, why did people try and reinvent the wheel and develop their own browser?

I would assume that an Amiga implementation of the Mozilla browser would be a much better long term strategy than using Aweb, Ibrowse or the other idependent browser implementations for the Amiga.

Anyone know why an Amiga version of the Mozilla open source browser has never been implemented?

Regards,

Amiga browsers have been around a long time.  Probably longer than Mozilla.  The reason Mozilla hasn't been ported yet is that the GUI used by Mozilla doesn't work on Amiga.

The next version of A-Web is going to be based on the KHTML engine used in the Safari browser on Macintosh and Konqueror browser on Linux.  That may be the next-best bet.