Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Next-Gen Amiga hardware  (Read 6274 times)

Description:

Offline amiga_boyTopic starter

• Show all replies
The Next-Gen Amiga hardware
« on: June 12, 2003, 03:02:19 AM »
In a previous post in the gaming forum I made a comment about the the Amiga hardware being underspecced and overpriced. Oddly for this site, there was no argument against this comment. Do the rest of you feel this way?

I think that a mobo with AGPx2, no FireWire, USB 1.1 etc. simply has to at least try and compete with the latest PC mobo's offering AGPx8, 2 x LAN, RAID, USB 2.0 and the rest. Especially within the A1 price range.

I know the laws of supply and demand are at the thin end of the wedge for the entire Amiga community but surely this was the main reason for the failure of the Boxer.

It started with ISA slots, then, as the supply of ISA cards dried up they changed the spec to PCI. They were always changing the specs to meet the capacity of the current PC market. Surely the next model of Zico spec mobo should at least try to embrace the most up to date, fastest selling (and theoretically cheapest) hardware standards: PC??? RAM, whatever ATA harddrives, the fastest GFX cards etc from the start?

Otherwise we will constantly be playing a catch up game, no matter how lean and efficient our OS is.

I also said the Amiga is already dead if you look at the situation realistically. This is the last thing I want. I love the Amiga. There is nothing else available to replace it (MorphOS is not Amiga in my view).

What we need is a real alternative to the nForce2 mobos and others that will make the Amiga look competitive on the store shelves and online store web pages. Only then can we begin to imagine a comeback.

If you have real suggestions for this, post a response. If you want to moan, FOAD.
\\"Eagles may soar, but weasels don\\\'t get sucked into jet engines.\\"

• Show all replies
Re: The Next-Gen Amiga hardware
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 06:00:02 AM »

Psy wrote:
But here you are saying the Amiga One with OS4 is a Amiga while Peagsos with MorphOS is not and OS4 is not even out yet.

Yes Amiga One and OS4 has the name, so what you bought your first Amiga becouse of the name?

So what if OS4 is not publicly available. Linux with UAE is available, that does not make it Amiga you idiot. MorphOS and Pegasos are 100% NOT Amiga. Forwards compatiblity could be considered Amiga, not backwards compatibility.

No, I bought ALL my Amigas because of the technology, NEVER the name alone (unless you count the fact that the name was not Atari or Amstrad or IBM).

Of course the OS and H/W platform sponsored by the copyright holders is a genuine Amiga. What else could be? Stick an Amiga badge on a PS2 and it's still a PS2, never an Amiga unless it gets integrated into the roadmap for the platforms future, which is decided by the parent company, not the users and certainly not the competitors.

Please try to think a little more before you type. It may also be a good idea to preview each post before you submit. Experience has taught me that the first idea is usually the worst.

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 06:14:25 AM »
Amiga owners are cheap? Are you insane?

My A1200 PPC tower and A4000 PPC tower both cost well over a thousand pound sterling each. You can get a PC of equal power for a tenth of that price!

And have you seen the prices for the A1 deals?

If that's cheap to you throw your excess cash in my direction friend.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 06:20:43 AM »

Psy wrote:
As far I can see MorphOS is a great clone and just like a Dell is an IBM a Peagos/MorphOS is a Amiga.

Yeah, like BeOs is Windows!

Seriously, the best thing about starting an opinion driven thread on an Amiga board is the idiotic replies you get. I start these things just to get something (someone) to laugh at.

And there is always at least one ;-)

The above is sarcasm. Often said to be the lowest form of wit but definately beyond the grasp of some readers I see.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2003, 03:20:29 PM »

Darth_X wrote:
Soooooo you admit to starting this on purpose just for the fun of creating a flame war!

No that was sarcasm, but it certainly rattled your cage.

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2003, 09:32:39 AM »

NicoPPC wrote:

Well, you don't really an AGP*16 but indeed some AGP stuuf would be nice

The A1 has "some AGP stuuf", but why choose the ACCELERATED Graphics Port standard if you cannot utilise the maximum acceleration available?

Well, indeed MorphOS in not an Amiga. the Amiga is a computer, MorphOS is an OS...

The Amiga is a finely blended mix of hardware, OS and software. So there ;-)

MorphOS is an OS only available for the Pegasos if you want the latest version, AOS 4 will be available for classic systems as well as the A1 but is unlikely to appear for the Pegasos.

Could you please explain why MorphOS is not close to the  AmigaOS ?

Morphos IS close, but thats close as in "close but no cigar". Hell, Windows and UAE is close, lets forget about new technology and use that ;-)

We don't really need a killing gfx card, because all the AGP card should work on current hardware (I mean LinuxOne AND Pegasos). What we need is a good OS (MorphOS in my point of view), with drivers and many software (game, office stuff, broswer ...)

The original A1000 was designed to have a "killing gfx card", the result was that people sat up and took notice. Why bother to wait more than 2 years for a new hardware platform that only makes people yawn.

Whether you or I like it or not, the general public have been told that when looking at computer specifications, bigger numbers are better. This is the mindset of any new user. They simply will not grasp the fact that a leaner OS requires less clock cycles and less RAM.

At the end of the day this machine has to make Eyetech a nice profit or it will be the last they make. With an ever decreasing community, stiff competiton and all the other hurdles they face they will need to resort to every trick in the book to attract new customers. Don't think for a second that we will get to OS5 on the strength of the current market.

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2003, 09:58:16 AM »

pioneer wrote:
To Amiga_boy:

People like you are the delight of hardware manufacturers. You have to have the latest hardware, even though it doesn't make a bit of difference to what you're doing (games). Frankly I'm tired of the hardware snobs who are deluded enough to think they have the latest hardware (since something new comes out every day).

I seriously doubt I delighted any hardware manufacturers in the last year as I am unemployed and cannot even afford to buy 10 blank CDs, never mind a new machine.

When I have bought hardware I always bought the best available, that way I could be as certain as possible that my investment would give me the maximum return for my money.

Frankly, I'M TIRED OF IDIOTS WHO POST BOLLOCKS BECAUSE THEY CANNOT COUNTER WITH A REAL ARGUMENT.

I suggest you check this out:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=65707&dict=CALD

Snob? That's your opinion, but I'd rather be a snob than a moron.