Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NetSurf 3.4 released!  (Read 6148 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: NetSurf 3.4 released!
« on: July 13, 2016, 03:55:35 PM »
@utri

could you stop bashing arturs work on each and every occasion just because you are involved with another option? it really doesnt make one want to help with it.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 03:59:07 PM »
edit:sorry, post in a wrong thread..

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 06:43:32 PM »
simply dont let it sound like a broken record.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 09:18:22 PM »
you can simply tell him that it is a wrong version in this context and point him to the right one. isnt that enough?

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 09:32:54 AM »
Quote from: Dandy;811088

Chris's version could be called e.g. HW-NetSurf_v3.x_OS3.lha
and
Arthur's version could be called e.g. UAE-NetSurf_v3.x_OS3.lha.

i doubt anyone will accept your proposal, especially that its based on imho incorrect information, that chris version is better suited for real amigas and arturs for uae. right, artur develops on uae and with uae in mind, but i have run his browser on an amiga too, including aga version.

right. it woukld be better to join the forces and have on e binary for all. even if i would prefer to build the gui against mui instead against reaction in this case.

so, have you got arturs netsurf running on your system, by now or what? i might check current version here on uae/aros68k, but usually it works out of the box.

then you can test chris his version, which is a bit more fiddling with as i remember. because it is still in experimental stadium. i cant test it here currently, since it isnt compatible with plain 3.1 plus class act and i dont have a 3.9 setup with me.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 05:13:11 PM »
@dandy

i have tested chris version quite a while ago and at that time it was magnitudes slower than arturs one. according to what im reading here, it has changed, which i hope. still there seems to be a performance problem related to clib2 it is usually linked against. also there are other open issues as mentioned by utri. therefore it should be considered experimental development version. you shouldnt get disappointed if something doesnt work at this time.

what concerns frontend, arturs version has a gui and doesnt usually need to be started from shell. as i said id prefer mui to have it easily portable between amiga platforms, but as chris said its a lot of work starting over and i dont expect him to pic up this task, nor anyone else to be honest. so id try to support reaction frontend at this time.

what concerns arturs netsurf, you likely need to assign netsurf to the directory you have put it in. that would excplain snoopdos reporting resource files problems. i will try to confirm this in a while.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 05:41:28 PM »
okay.

im downloading arturs version 3.6 dev
https://dl.orangedox.com/E9aVebH0KVgPZ8C4jR

linked from here:
http://ami-soft.blogspot.com/2016/07/netsurf-36-development.html

it appears that at least the rtg binary is ixemul dependant.
you ll find ixemul v63.1 here:
http://amiga.sourceforge.net/

no assign necessary as it seems. netsurf open window and the local start page, however i didnt get it to go online. may be that i need to edit some setting since im using aros. it might expect amitcp or something like that.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:38:14 PM by wawrzon »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 07:12:11 PM »
you might try to run chris' netsurf executable from shell wit option -v for "verbose" iirc:
netsurf -v

and post here, where it crashes in debug output.

btw. the splash telling you its os4 version is simply because it is still in beta and none took care of it, i dont think you might be able to run a ppc executable on 68k even half a way;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 07:14:29 PM by wawrzon »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 01:25:47 PM »
Quote from: Dandy;811135

I was thinking of redirecting the shell messages to HD - but then the system would crash in the middle of the writing process, which might kill my HD.
Obviously I do not want to risk that!

you might launch a resetfest RAD: and redirect the output to a file there.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 09:58:26 AM »
Quote from: Dandy;811300
In the shell - yes.
But as the system freezes (mouse pointer not movable) I have to make a reset - and all is gone.
So I have to redirect the output to a RAD: - then I can copy the output from there after the reboot.

for the time being, you might look what is the latest entry in your deubug log at least and post it here.

what concerns RAD, yes copying to devs and double clicking should activate it afair. maybe there is something wrong with the mount list.. simply google after questions you have, usually they have been asked before.

another solution is to have a spare small partition on your drive that doesnt contain essential stuff, in order to redirect the output there. or redirect the output to serial device, and caught it with another computer, but that is probably too complicated for you.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 03:28:40 PM »
Quote from: Dandy;811305

Its not too complicated for me, but currently the A4kPPC is my only machine here in Cologne (aside from non-networked A1200 and A500s in the cabinet that I haven't fired up since over a decade).

the question is at what baud the output be. otherwise you would just need to use null modem cable conecting serial of your a4000 to a serial of either of your spare amigas, run a terminal program there and save the output to a floppy. than restart the a4000 read the log from the floppy and post it online here, if this is the machine you are (or may be) using for internet.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 05:52:53 PM »
imho, the first stage of testing should happen in winuae anyway. especially not on a flaky hardware. my problem is, i dont have amigaos 3.9 here, only aros, otherwise i would have done this by now. but surely there are more people around who could do that.. i wonder that everybody is asking for a browser, yet when it comes to help testing then there is none..

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 08:53:41 PM »
Quote from: dschallock;811438
I am new to the netsurf evolution and this thread, but I would be happy to do some testing and help.  Should I just read through this whole thread to get caught up and understand what testing is desired?

encountering problems, might be enough to read the previous page of this thread, about how to catch the debug log and post it here. :)
btw. thanks for your offer.