Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How is TD64 implemented?  (Read 2195 times)

Description:

Offline Pat the CatTopic starter

How is TD64 implemented?
« on: February 23, 2021, 02:14:17 AM »
Is all the large capacity magic put solely into the drive type driver x.device, or are other libraries and modules involved with making TD64 "happen" on an Amiga and large drives (>8Gib) to become usable.

The EAB faq is a little unclear, it does mention there are bits of Workbench limiting drive space to 4GB but is very vague on mentioning which version of Workbench or which parts.
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Re: How is TD64 implemented?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 03:08:16 AM »
Interesting but not a full answer.

It would appear the "Workbench changes" are activated both when a new Fast file system handler is activated AND a compatible x.device has been made active.

Otherwise no big drive luscioiusness, you might go up to fake chs and maybe even beyond if the drive gives non ATA fake chs values that work.

EDIT: Logical place to add TD64 is setpatch. Question is, which version? Obviously not one shipped with 3.1 or earlier. By CBM or Amiga Tech... although Amiga Tech appeared to have tried to add some support.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 06:41:48 AM by Pat the Cat »

Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 07:40:17 AM »
Thanks Thomas. I wasn't thinking of patching driver or filesystem with setpatch, just wondering how the other components were updated to use big partitions.

Like I said, there are some mentions of such components "in Workbench" but no data about which components or which WB.did not need patching and would work with a correct x.driver and filesystem that used TD64.

The point being at which point a floppy only user could use a PCMCIA adapter with larger than 4GB partitions on it with legacy Commodore disks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:42:28 AM by Pat the Cat »

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 06:49:57 PM »

carddisk.device is not able to handle CF cards.

In terms of using them, it seems that way At least Prepcard can read the card vendor and type (if it's on the card).

However, floppy users seem to have a problem with using large PCMCIA cards (over 2GB).

I can't help but thing it is not just compactflash.device involved, setpatch if the only component that is involved with the process for users with old ROMs and new hard drives,

Anyway, I'm just talking to myself here, seems nobody else thinking along these lines of why.

EDIT: My thinking here is that different setpatch versions on 3.1 machines do have an effect on TD64 working, Therefore, on a machine with just a 3.0 or a 2.0 setpatch, TD64 implementation is not fully present and large capacity drives (specifically PCMCIA cards) cannot work properly.

It's obviously down to me to test this hypothesis, it's not established as fact yet.

EDIT. Thank you Olsen, an old workbench,library is a definite contender. Big (>4gb) PCMCIA card seems to be working but craps out when it is filled too much.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 03:22:13 AM by Pat the Cat »

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 09:25:18 AM »
... Indeed Thomas. That would explain why you couldn't help the last couple of people having no joy getting the PCMCIA cards working.

... And yet I did, for some reason.  :-*